• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doubled_Dogg

doubled_Dogg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:35 AM

How do you setup MAME so you can you use 2 different controllers in MAME for the same game?

Most games where you have 2 people playing on the same screen at the same time you can use 2 different controllers with no problem. Metal Slug for example.

However; two player games like Donkey Kong or BurgerTime, I need to hit start on controller #2 to start a 2 player game, but controller #2 doesn't do anything once the game starts.
You can only use controller 1 to control the action for both players.
It's a pain because you need to wait until player 1 (with controller 1) finishes their turn and then quickly give controller 1 to the second player so he can have his turn.

Any ideas for getting two controllers to work for every game?

#2 m@gnus

m@gnus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

I dont think it will happen, because the game(s) your talking about only have 1 joystick and 2 start buttons.

I dont know much about hex editing, but maybe u can do it by hacking the game.
Its a long shot!

#3 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

After starting the game, hit BACK + WHITE.

This should bring up a little black window. Go to the second option in that menu.

In there you can set the controls the game uses.

example...

Go to UP, and hit the A button. Now hit the UP direction on the first player controller. Repeat this step, but hit up on player two's controller.

This will stack commands in the list. To clear/default them, after hitting A, keep hitting X (or any other button not assigned to menu navigation) repeatedly.

Keep in mind that after mapping all the controls to both controllers, player one could mess with player 2 while they are playing, or vice versa.

#4 v0llrath

v0llrath

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:45 AM

buddy is right..

obviously you don't remember the original machines never had two controllers, so player one and two had to swap when their turns were up (remember leaning over the machine sipping yer soda when yer other buddy was playing Donkey Kong?)

You might try to find the cocktail versions of games like DK because they had two controllers and might work the way you want but I haven't tried them so don't know.. check it out.. until then just swap controlers.. it can't be that hard to do!

#5 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:00 AM

until then just swap controlers.. it can't be that hard to do!

...or do as I said in my post.

It is extremely easy to set up the controls in MAME to pretty much anything you want, so if you want each player to have their own control, in a game that only originally had one, you can.

#6 m@gnus

m@gnus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:58 PM

He's right!
edit buttons gone. I was going to change my post

Good idea Badmonkey!

Edit: Thats weird. I can edit this post but not the other. blink.gif

Edited by m@gnus, 12 March 2005 - 06:00 PM.

#7 badmonkey

badmonkey

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:27 PM

They changed the boards so that you only have 15 minutes after you post to edit it.

Gay as hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users