flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:41 AM

I see so many sigs out there violating the rules with way too many lines of text or big images. something needs to be done.

But i know you admins and mods don't wanna go through and do it all, so i have some ideas.

1) Make some kind of script of the server that will go through and scan for sigs that disobey the rules, by searching how many lines of text, image size (or number of images)
2) Put out a notice (maybe a PM) to all users to copy what they want to somewhere on their comp, and have all sigs wiped and every1 must start again (that probably sounds really stupid but it might work)
3) Make sigs have to be approved my mods (maybe next site upgrade?). Everytime some1 wants to change their sig, a mod will be alerted and have to approve it. Wouldn't be a long process if u think of it. They just have to click yes or no after looking at it. It'd save time in the long run.

3 and 2 would go together well.

But i know they're probably all stupid ideas so im not really expecting any good reponses

#2 brahm2

brahm2

Internet Superstar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,003 posts
  • Interests:I'm an EE student at the UofS in Saskatoon. I love guitar and drinking beer.. sometimes both.

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

I turned off sigs a few weeks ago and it was probably the best decision I have ever made on this forum. You'd think you start to miss helpful information, but not having to scroll through that crap in each topic makes reading topics a lot easier smile.gif

Just another option for those who are getting annoyed!

#3 rmgr

rmgr

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

I saw one time in some other forums where tehy had some type of something, that if they passed the limit it would just look cut off

#4 Northcarolina ReDn3k

Northcarolina ReDn3k

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Being an total ass.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

ive also seen a few with a bit of nudity..and since im 14...if my mother happended to pass by when i was browsing the site..she wouldent be a happy camper...

#5 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

You can PM an active head mod or admin if you see someone with nudity in their sig (or anything else that violates the posting rules), and it will be removed. Most people in the "Moderator" group, cannot edit sigs, however.
There are over 200,000 members, there is absolutely no way that a dozen mods can stay on top of everyones sigs, all the time. As for an automated system, that decision would have to come from an admin, but I'm pretty sure it wont happen.

#6 Mr.INSANE

Mr.INSANE

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:25 PM

i like the script idea

#7 Northcarolina ReDn3k

Northcarolina ReDn3k

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Being an total ass.
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:35 PM

thanx heinrich smile.gif

#8 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:46 AM

turning off sigs ey? that sounds very appealing to me smile.gif

#9 xboxbox451

xboxbox451

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:03 AM

Did I stumble into some AARP forum? You guys all sound like a bunch of old men yelling to “turn down that darn fangled Rock-n-Roll”. C'mon get with it.

Sigs and avatars are great. They let you customize your posts in a way that matches your personality. If you don’t like them just turn them off and stop bitchin like a senior at a check-out line.

If I wanted to talk on some boring, antiquated forum, with mods from hell I'd got to gamespy. The whole spirit of the Scene is creativity, and sig/avatars add to the fun and expression of ourselves.

#10 jimjom

jimjom

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • Interests:4 8 15 16 23 42
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:19 AM

yeah sigs and stuff are great but when it's a huge useless animated image, it's a bit annoying to a) wait to load the image and cool.gif scroll past a giant flashing seizurey .gif

sigs and stuff would be in no question if people actually obeyed the rules of common sense.... and well actually READ the rules.

#11 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

yeah true. i've turned mine off now and its better, but there wouldn't b a problem if ppl just read the rules

#12 HSDEMONZ

HSDEMONZ

He Who Posts Alot...

• Admin
  • 12,218 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:14 AM

welcome to my world. smile.gif

I have a larger sig than some.. but even I don't view them.. and only turn on view sigs when requested.

report abusive sigs.. (don't bother if they are mods, head mods, or admin as they got exceptions)

A blanket automated sig remover/cleaner whatever.. something to think about.

#13 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:24 PM

I think I'm going to try going without the sigs for a while... I saw a few new members posting about with about 4 large animated gif in their sigs it was quite annoying.

I would think that one possible way to deal with the sigs would be to plan and alert everyone, that one day all the sigs will be wiped out. then institute a script that only runs when you change your sig. so if it sees a .gif in the sig it gets rejected or if it see more than one img tag etc. that way it will get rejected right from the get go.

my .02... I'm sure whatever solution you guys come up with (if any) will be a good one. beerchug.gif

#14 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:47 AM

I would think that one possible way to deal with the sigs would be to plan and alert everyone, that one day all the sigs will be wiped out. then institute a script that only runs when you change your sig. so if it sees a .gif in the sig it gets rejected or if it see more than one img tag etc. that way it will get rejected right from the get go.

Thats exactly what i was thinking. You can't just ban gifs though, cos theres staic and animated ones, theres nothing wrong with static gifs, but yeah it would be difficult to tell the difference. Anway it'd be a good idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users