tharien

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Well the tax returns are due in any day now and im in the market for a DVD Burner. Im looking at the Lite-on Dvd SOHW - 1693S. The problem i run into is i cant find it avail for purchase anywhere. So im open to suggestions on a DL Dvd Burner that does +/- r/rw /r9. If you know of one please post a link.
Thanks in advance.

#2 awd_sr

awd_sr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

I just picked up a Plextor from Bestbuy. There is a $30 rebate, it costs $101, so the total will be $71. Plextors site has a firmware upgrade that will also increase the speed, its rated pretty high as well. Model PX-716A

#3 wtmsvw

wtmsvw

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:42 AM

I also got the Plextor PX-716-A from Bestbuy works great!!!!!!!! Only problem is several people and myself have not been able to burn a dual layer that will work on the XBOX

Edited by wtmsvw, 13 March 2005 - 05:43 AM.

#4 Constantine

Constantine

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:18 AM

I have yet to burn a dual layer on my pioneer burner in my laptop. Never really had any reason to yet. Plus the disks are so expensive right now.

#5 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:21 AM

http://www.newegg.co...-152-040&DEPA=1

that is the one I got, 60 bucks shipped. Great burner, never a coaster.

Hope it helps,

LeP

#6 xboxconfused

xboxconfused

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

I would have to agree with the Plextor burner. I have a Plextor (PX-712A) single layer burner, and this thing rocks. I have succesfully backed up my collection over 100 DVD's and just started to burn my Xbox games. I have had no errors or coasters as of yet...Just as I bought my burner they came out with the Dual burner so I will upgrade as soon as prices drop on the dual layer media. I can't see spending almost $6-8 dollars a disk when you can get excellent quality dvd-r's for .27-.50 each.. I just cant justify spending the extra at the moment on DL disks..Hope this helps you out.. I also prefer to use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's for my DVD movies and XBOX games as well....I would buy the Dual Layer one though its not that much more than a single layer.... beerchug.gif

#7 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:12 AM

i also have that plextor model and it works beautifully, still havent got my rebate though im gonna have to call them fuckers

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(LepPpeR @ Mar 13 2005, 06:27 AM)
http://www.newegg.co...-152-040&DEPA=1

that is the one I got, 60 bucks shipped.  Great burner, never a coaster.

Hope it helps,

LeP

View Post

I concur. The Plextors aren't bad burners but they definitely are overrated (at least thier DVD drives). The NEC will do just as good of a job and costs less.

#9 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:00 AM

you guys got me wanting one just looking at it for that beautiful price...

you think its a safe bet that will still be a good burner (lite on) for any dual-layer xbox2 games, as i wouldnt want to buy another burner a year from now.prolly no way of knowing at this point

#10 tharien

tharien

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, im looking at the lite on particularly because of the /r9 format. I'm a big lite on supporter for various reasons, but the format is the main reason. Dvd-r9 seems to be the new standard in formatting. From new dvd's to xbox/xbox 2/ps2 games. From what i understand, its the only format that you can do a true 1:1 of most any dvd comming out in recent months. Thanx for the feedback, keep it commin.

#11 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(ILLusions0fGrander @ Mar 13 2005, 09:06 AM)
you guys got me wanting one just looking at it for that beautiful price...

you think its a safe bet that will still be a good burner (lite on) for any dual-layer xbox2 games, as i wouldnt want to buy another burner a year from now.prolly no way of knowing at this point

View Post

Lite-Ons ARE NOT GOOD BURNERS!!!!!!!! They are notoriously fussy with media and consistantly have higher error rates on any given media when compared to burns on another burner (ie NEC, Pioneer). There are several people here who have traded in their Lite-Ons for other burners and have noticed a world of difference in the amount of hassle that they go through (or the lack thereof). Tutyet has both a Lite-On 1633S and a Pioneer 108. Just ask him which one he uses the most for burns. He is just one of many examples. wink.gif IMHO there is absolutely no reason to pick up a Lite-On when an NEC can be had for the same price or less (take a look at Lepper's post). Lite-Ons are good secondary drives but I would never use one as my primary burner.

Edited by jesterrace777, 13 March 2005 - 09:27 PM.

#12 tharien

tharien

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:46 AM

Cool, im not a lite-on fanboy, i have just had good success with their CD Burners and the fact that they arent fussy about the data i'm trying to burn wink.gif

So my question remains the same, does anyone know of a good DL dvd burner that supports -/+ r/rw /r9?

/r9 -/+ is my objective here, not promote lite-on as the best in the biz. And as far as plextor, i tend to stay clear of any company that sits in the back pocket of Macrovision.

#13 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE(tharien @ Mar 14 2005, 08:52 AM)
Cool, im not a lite-on fanboy, i have just had good success with their CD Burners and the fact that they arent fussy about the data i'm trying to burn  wink.gif 

So my question remains the same, does anyone know of a good DL dvd burner that supports -/+ r/rw /r9?

/r9 -/+ is my objective here, not promote lite-on as the best in the biz. And as far as plextor, i tend to stay clear of any company that sits in the back pocket of Macrovision.

View Post

Yup, that is a common mistake that people make. Lite-On does make some excellent CD-RW drives but their DVD Burners leave something to be desired. Not saying that they are crap, but you certainly can do better for the money. While it is true that the NEC 3520A doesn't directly support writing to D/L DVD-R, it is supposed to be able to support it once they release a firmware upgrade. As I understand it that is how all of the current burners that claim to support D/L DVD-R are setup. The NEC does support D/L DVD+R right out of the box though, and it supports single layer -R/+R and -RW/+RW.

Edited by jesterrace777, 14 March 2005 - 10:49 AM.

#14 paulttt

paulttt

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:25 AM

i got a nec-3500a and have no coasters as of yet, plus supports booktype change with a firmware upgrade

#15 tharien

tharien

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Mar 14 2005, 09:54 AM)
Yup, that is a common mistake that people make.  Lite-On does make some excellent CD-RW drives but their DVD Burners leave something to be desired.  Not saying that they are crap, but you certainly can do better for the money.  While it is true that the NEC 3520A doesn't directly support writing to D/L DVD-R, it is supposed to be able to support it once they release a firmware upgrade.  As I understand it that is how all of the current burners that claim to support D/L DVD-R are setup.  The NEC does support D/L DVD+R right out of the box though, and it supports single layer -R/+R and -RW/+RW.

View Post

Thanx for the heads up. NEC sounds promising but i still need that /r9 support. It the "next thing". Most companies including MS are starting to use this format because of the compressions. (i cant give you any details because im to lazy to look up whitepapers right now.) Do some reading around and you'll see it in everything from press statments to current disk specs for certian titles. (Gran turismo 4 is one. Yeah i know its not xbox but gamers cannot live on bread alone) so ill keep my mouse clickin away trying to find that holy grail.

Edited by tharien, 14 March 2005 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users