Vasher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:03 PM

I opened a brand new Xbox dated 1-17-05 to find it has a version 1.5 mobo. No shittin'. Focus chip, Samsung RAM, distal contoller mobo plugs, 11 screws. I was a little "ify" goin' for a standard 1.5 install w/ an X3 CE, figured Bill was up to some tricks, but confident of what I was looking at I did it. Started it up, flash bios.
Has anyone else come across a 1.5 fresh off the line?

I'm serious, not smokin', don't do crack, I did have "Saki bombs" earlier and it is a late night/early morning (4am here), but this is not a joke.

It has a Phillips DVD, and the power/eject cable is brown and white (I know that doesn't mean anything, first I've seen it though).

I figure MS went to the 1.6 to avoid TSOP's, still had these laying around, and since they've fallen behind in production, they're being used. No one knows how to distinguish them by the serial (yet), so it's not like you can just go and pull one off the shelf.

I recently opened some dated 1-13-05 and 1-15, both 1.6.

#2 christineyoung

christineyoung

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

The fact is M$ has multiple companies making MB's for them all over world, and even alot of returns hitting them as well ( bad mods and people trying to return )

I have came across a 1.4 dated Nov. 14, 2004, no surprise in my books, just figure i got from another plant. Wired as normal and worked with X3 purple.

But scary part is, I have gotten 5 Mech Assult bundles and ripped apart for assembly and guess what????????? MB's full of flux on back side, meaning repaired at factory, I of course cleaned up and picked up a non mech assult and no flux on that MB.....teh rebuild boards come in handy, but i sepnd more time cleaning then installing tongue.gif

but started to wonder if the bundles they are shipping are RMA's from bad mod attempts returned to EB Games or similiar.... or manufacturer issues on production. Seems we getting LAME ass games bundled with XBOX"s latly and almost a new set of games every month or so.

Seeing as X3 supports all boxes presently shipped I am not worried and expect others to start getting older model MB's being reproduced. As you have halo LE come with 1.1 and 1.3 MB's....all less then year old. And april is when 1.6's started shipping in full force. maybe the rebuilds and TSOP mods made m$ chnage there strategy and confus einstallers.

Edited by christineyoung, 13 March 2005 - 05:35 PM.

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:36 PM

Vasher, why do you assume it is a 1.5 and not 1.4?

#4 acemilo

acemilo

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:45 PM

Only 1.4s are being made afaik, not 1.5s. Test it out and tell us if its a 1.4 or 1.5, just test pin 2 on the lpc for ground, if its grounded its a 1.4 if not its a 1.5. And btw, we've known about this for about 2 months now.

#5 LunchboxDom

LunchboxDom

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Well I know for a fact that the 1.4's are random. Because I just did 3 installs with January 2005 manufacturing dates and all were 1.6's. No 1.6b's though smile.gif

#6 acemilo

acemilo

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:25 AM

Its not really random, its just they probably have like 1 plant doing 1.4s and the rest doin 1.6s. I did one made 1-18 and it was a 1.6b with samsung ram. I wish there was a way to tell but oh well.

#7 gasclown

gasclown

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:42 AM

i just got a 1.4 dated 12-05-04 and had a big printed sticker on the philips dvd rom that said "OMP test" i know its off topic but anyone know what "omp" test stands for (im thinking refurb).

#8 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:56 AM

Office of Microelectronics Programs is OMP Its a office that tests all the little electronics on the board to make sure none are defective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users