10 replies to this topic

#1 Hercules Q Einstein

Hercules Q Einstein

Scarface

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

Just wondering how much it would run (roughly). I dont know the exact model of the car (yet).

The reason i ask is a relitive told me i could have it free if i wanted to fix it. I needed to know if its like $50-100, $200-500. Or way more.

#2 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

A "catalytic" convertor can vary hugely in prices...cheap generic ones are under a hun all the way up to specific oem parts which can be $1500+. Audis tend to have specifically shaped ones, meaning a generic one is tough to fit. I take it the vehicle has failed a state/provincial emissions test?

#3 conc3pt

conc3pt

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

considering you don't seem like you know much about cars..i suggest you ask how much people think it is with or without service for a better estimate

#4 Hercules Q Einstein

Hercules Q Einstein

Scarface

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE(conc3pt @ Mar 14 2005, 08:46 AM)
considering you don't seem like you know much about cars..i suggest you ask how much people think it is with or without service for a better estimate

View Post

I dont know much about cars, especily Audis (never even road in one before). The car is in perfect condition (cosmeticly) its an A6 (No clue what year). So i just wondered if anyone here ever got an Audi before and might know the price for this car.

Id hate to turn down a free car if its a cheap fix.... but i dont really need a broke car sitting around if i cant afford to fix it.

#5 Altima NEO

Altima NEO

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, XBox, 360, PSP, Dreamcast, 3D Graphics & Animation
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:16 AM

Check the door. theres usually a tag that says what year it was made. There should be a manual in the glovebox too, that should tell you the year as well.
Does the car even run? Why does it need a cat converter in the first place? Did it not pass emitions? (You sure its the cat converter thats causing that?)

Find this info out, and the guys here are better equipped to help ya out.

#6 fishlord

fishlord

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

If the car is free take it.

#7 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:47 PM

Check here

#8 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:54 AM

Were it me......

I'd take almost ANY free car. An Audi is a nice car, though as parts break itll be more expensive to repair then most domestics. Now as for a Cat converter, find out the year and model. Itll be on the registration. From there you can check plenty of parts places to see the cost of a replacement.

Now if you have some wrenchs or sockets and ramps or a jack you probably could replace it yourself. It's basically 2 bolts at each end on many cars. The biggest paint in the ass is probably getting the old ones out. (Hell cut em out and buy 4 bolts and 4 nuts @ Walmart.) Or maybe you have a friend that's ok with tools. (Exhaust work is generally relatively easy.)

Either way I would NEVER refuse a car over pieces of an exhaust. If thats all thats wrong with it then it's a hell of a deal. And I've always thought Audis were pretty sweet rides.

#9 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Mar 16 2005, 07:53 PM)
Check here

View Post

BTW, Bosal makes GOOD shit. Ill bet if you found a non brand name one you could cut that price in half.

#10 -:BeAnEr:-

-:BeAnEr:-

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:32 AM

Sorry just realized this place had an automotive forum. I own an Audi myself.

1995 Audi 90 Quattro. V6 2.8L engine. Not sure what your a6 has in it, but when looking at prices for a Cat for my car it was around 7-800 with a discount through an autoshop. A generic one could have been put in to the tune of 200. Before I spend that money I need to fix the cause of the problem. Cats dont go bad on ther own, either burning oil and clogging the honeycomb, or running too lean and melting the catalyst, or dumping raw fuel into the cat and having the fuel eat the catalyst.

You can do a vacuum test on the car and at idle your vacuum should hold steady at 17 in/hg if it gets real high and vacuum builds up then there is a restriction somewhere in the exhaust line.

#11 Hercules Q Einstein

Hercules Q Einstein

Scarface

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for the help.

Just to clear things up, the car is about 3 hours away so i didnt want to drive that far to see what year it was. I will call them tommorow and check that out (should be 93-96).

The only reason i would turn it down is it belongs to my uncle who got a new car, he said his the converter is broken and need a new one plus brake lines (i know how much this is). He told me i could have it if i wanted to fix it. I didnt want to lie to him and take just to have it, plus if it was to much money i couldnt afford it (due to school) and have no room for a car that doesnt run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users