#1 julio9

julio9

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:14 AM

This is a bogus study. I'm sure the numbers are MUCH lower than is suggested in this 'study.' In any 'study,' the first thing to consider is what motive a company would have for completing the study, and whether or not those motives could lead them to skew the outcome.

So first of all, what does Macrovision do?

"[It] develops and markets content and software value management solutions for the video, music and software industries."

In other words, it develops anti-piracy tools. So if software companies believed they would lose their shorts due to piracy, they would go out of their way to prevent it. Obviously, if Macrovision can persuade these companies to invest in anti-piracy technology, Macrovision stands to gain a truckload of money. However, rather than market through traditional means, a 'study' appears to carry more weight, and tends to circulate at a significantly cheaper and faster rate. All they have to do is send it to all the news sources they can think of, and they get instant, cheap exposure.

Second of all, where does the data come from?

"The survey participants were randomly selected from a pool of visitors to various game-related websites."

This is obviously not real data. Visitors of gaming web sites tend to be more the enthusiasts--the heavy, or 'hardcore' gamers. What about all the pre-teen kids out there who aren't on the web? Have they all chipped their consoles? Furthermore, 'various' sites could mean anything. If they included places like Mameworld, Xbox-Scene, and emulator-zone, the numbers of people who have played pirated games would be astronomically higher than they would be had these sites been omitted. Furthermore, some consoles are harder to hack than others. If Macrovision visited primarily xbox sites, that number would also be higher than it would be if they pulled participants from Gamecube websites.

All in all, this is CRAP. The media constantly uses fake studies and bogus figures to sway the uneducated into their corner. I just thought I'd call it out this time.

Rant over.

#2 FoeHammer05

FoeHammer05

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:33 AM

*Amen. beerchug.gif

#3 themadman123

themadman123