grifter66

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:05 AM

(TOPIC)
Ok the read me that is here. I got from the inside the package I download from this link: http://www.rpgplanet...ntrols/mods.asp

Here is how to find it:
1. Click search
2 Under Search mods by option which is Located near the middle upper right corner use the dropdown box to highlight author and type in jason
3. Click go
4. It is the first download titled The Elder Scrolls Xbox Mod Converter by Jason Spendley
5. Download and install it
6. While downloading it it will ask you to upgrade to the newer version or something like that say yes or if it doesn't ask or just goes ahead and does it then that's good.
Now you have both tools ready to be used with the read me that's below before I ripped it apart.
Co-incidently this link provides you with tools that weren't actully given to people before there are 2 tools in this download I don't know how I know this but I know for a fact that everything that is needed, is included. It's just the readme that needs to be re-worded with answers to the questions and stuff I added in. Now if and after you obtain this download you can compare the readme that is with that tool to the one that I took from there and revamped and see how much stuff was missing I have also added in notes along with I also took the liberty of sending this to the people who made it in the first place so they also know but hopefully, someone can explain all the missing things that ned to filled in and then reconfigere the read me so it is completed. Everything that is titled Needed to be added is what I did KEEPING IN MIND I ONLY TARGETED THE TOP HALF OF THE README BECAUSE YOU CANNOT DO THE BOTTOM HALF WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO DO THE TOP HALF FIRST.
So here it is:

In this tutorial, I’m hoping to show you how to merge the xbox morrowind.esm and all your PC mods (.esp and .esm) to one master xbox morrowind.esm file. This can then be copied to the xbox and it will run fine. Don’t use mods that depend on Tribunal or Bloodmoon unless you have the GOTY edition of Morrowind for the xbox.
1. Copy the morrowind.esm from xbox to PC. FTP the Morrowind.esm from the xbox to the PC. It can be found in the ‘Data Files’ folder as normal. For a tutorial about FTP, see http://www.xbox-scene.com .

Needed to be added: What this person failed to explain is that the only thing you can use to convert the Morrowind.esm File with is the TESDTK

Needed to be added: This person is not explaining whether he is talking about the morrowind.esm itself, other plugins, or both. Because the morrowind.esm has nothing like this in its conversion
4. Change the dependencies of any mods from morrowind.esm to morrowind.esp with TESDTK. If you are converting Mods for the GOTY edition of Morrowind, then remove any dependencies to Tribunal.esm or Bloodmoon.esm.

Needed to be added: What he is not explaining is whether or not these are needed in order to proceed. Because he first tells you that he will explain how to put everything into one file and then he is saying if you use these. So I want to point out that he is not being clear about what is needed he is saying this is choice and not a necessity.
5. You will find that TESDTK has saved any changes to a file called ‘Free Free…” For example, ‘BetterBodies.esp’ will now be called ‘Free Free BetterBodies.esp’ Delete the original files and rename the ‘Free Free…’ ones back to normal.

Needed to be added: What he doesn’t explain is that this also happens to the morrowind.esm you converted to morrowind.esp so you need to remove the free from morrowind.esp
6. Edit all the .NIF files so that they point to the right textures using a hex editor or TESXMC (The Elder Scrolls Xbox Mod Converter). The .nif files can be found in the meshes folder of any mod that you have. To convert them, open the ‘Data Files’ folder of each mod with TESXMC, and simply click the ‘Start conversion’ button. The .nif files will be converted and saved automatically. The beauty of these converted files is that they will still work on the PC, so there is no need to have duplicate files.

Needed to be added: What he is not explaining is whether or not these are needed in order to proceed. Because he first tells you that he will explain how to put everything into one file and then he is saying if you use these. So I want to point out that he is not being clear about what is needed he is saying this is choice and not a necessity.
7. Place all your mods into an empty ‘Data Files’ folder along with the Morrowind.esp from the xbox. Then place this ‘Data Files’ folder in an empty folder of you choice with TESCS. This will now be our new working folder.

Needed to be added: What he isn’t explaining is that he is making it sound like you have all these different files types that you were given a choice as to whether or not you wanted to make and use them as in step4 and 6. And now he is making it sound like you need to have them in order to proceed. Sao it is unclear at this point as to whether or not you need these files.

Needed to be added: What he doesn’t explain is that how he went from creating the morrwoind.esp file to using the construction set to make mods and on top of that he’s making it sound like you have mods nade all ready and you know what you doing. Another thing I want to point out is that he mentions here to resave. But what he doesn’t explain is that and to make sure that the version of any mod is the same as the xbox morrowind.esp.
Now the thing with that is this: What happened to all the in between steps that bring you to the point of:

1. Saving (In order to do this again as he puts it you would have to have already done this to begin with and he leaves no explination as to how he wound up saving to begin with

2. The same as xbox morrowind.esp (How he arrived here is unknown)

3. Loading each mod one at a time. The problem with this is, that he goes from talking about creating one big file to saying that you need to load all these files that mysteriously appeared one at a time. And how he arrived at this point is also unknown.

Needed to be added: Ok at this point since he hasn’t explained all the things I added in that need to be explained He has completely lost anyone who is trying to follow these instructions. Because I myself even though I am dissecting these instructions and have gone through them section by section adding comments where they need to be saying what they need to say. I can tell you that I have no idea what he is talking about at this point. I can tell you outright that in order for this section to be understood that an explanation to where he got load up all these mystery files and then where the and add combine plug-ins all of a sudden appeared also where the and combine plug-ins (button or whatever it is) can be found.
Copy the name after the :
Open op Morrowind.ini
Go to [WhoCanMerge]
Modify the line below like this: xxx=1
Save Morrowind.ini.
Fire up TESCS

Voila, if running WinXP, Win98SE, WinME or Win2K, there should be a new button if you open Files->DataFiles from the Menu reading [MergeToMasters].

Needs to be added: What morrowind.ini file is he talking about? He never even mentions this up until this point. So at this point your guessing is it the PC one or the xbox one? Next he says something about programflow.txt Ok that would be nice if it was explained where the way to get to this was located. Next comes the second entry: 000001: Computer name: xxx and to copy the name after the: xxx Ok again it would be nice if he told you where this stuff was and how to get to it So your left to guess at this point Next comes the Modify the line below [WhoCanMerge]. That is fine but what is screwed here is the missing explinantion of what happens if [WhoCanMerge]. Isn’t in your .ini how does it go in? do you leave spaces above or below the line? Do you have spaces on the same line as xxx an example of both should be given of what it looks like before and after with and without [WhoCanMerge].in the .ini Next we get to xxx=1. he is not specifying what he means by add xxx to the line below [WhoCanMerge]. Do you add in the actual xxx=1 or is the xxx an actual name and you don’t use (3 exes) you put a name in froint of the =1

Needed to be added: until all that stuff that needs to be explained above is corrected and added then this point is mute because you can’t even get to this point with out all that missing info being filled in.
____________________________________________________________________12. Rename this new master file to Morrowind.esm
13. Copy this Morrowind.esm back to the xbox.

Needed to be added: Is that a capital M or not or does that matter Other than that 12 and 13 are both self explaintory

I really hope this helps people out and I hope someone will add and fix the missing info....

Edited by grifter66, 15 March 2005 - 07:18 AM.

#2 grifter66

grifter66

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:17 AM

Another addition I just though of that needs to be added is this
He needs to specify whether or not you need to have the PC version Of morrowind Installed on your PC. Because in step 6. he starts talking about NIF files and if he is telling you to use your x-box files and then starts talking about .NIF files soemthing is wrong because the X-box version has no .NIF files in it.
and he is telling you to use the TESXMC tool to look for x.box files. And it won;t let you do that
To clear up any confusion on this I'll copy and paste it and poitn out what I'm talking about as I go along:
Right in the first paragraph in 6 he says this:

6. Edit all the .NIF files so that they point to the right textures using a hex editor or TESXMC (The Elder Scrolls Xbox Mod Converter).
Ok first off he says to edit them. Now my question is why is he
1. Telling you to edit all the .NIF files and how are you suppodes to edit something that he never told you that you needed to begin with
2. Where these mystery files he's telling you to edit all of a sudden just showed up
3. How to get to them
4. To top it off telling you to use a tool that will only open PC files for opening X-box files not to mention this can't be dne because the file types that this tool opens do not exist on the x-box

I have a few other questions about this.
He mentions that they will be coverted and saved....
click the ‘Start conversion’ button. The .nif files will be converted and saved automatically.

Ok they are saved....where are they saved and what
I'm still trying to figure out where all these mystery files came from in the first place.

Now hopefully this will be the last question regarding set up now assume that for the time being all the instructions abaove are finished and you are now able to create the file.
My question now is what happens if you want to use other mods in the future:
From how he wrote this tutorial this is what would need to be done.
lets say you are just creating your first big .esm file and you want to use 5 mods to start with.
From what he has written about adding the .NIF files you would need to constantly create a new huge .esm file every single time you want to add a mod just to get it to work. So if you created a big esm that has 5 mods in it, if later on you wanted to add 5 more mods to it you would need to:
1. Create the original file set up you had when you added the fist 5 mods in it.
2. Instead of saving teh file right away with just the 5 mods you had in it waht you would do instead of that is add the 5 new ones to teh same section as the 5 old ones so now you have 10 mods ready to be merged instead of just 5
3. Now jsut save

So now according to what he has written you have 3 different Moprrowind.esm files now:
1. The original un-edited.esm
2. The first edited .esm with the 5 original mods in it
3. The new .esm file you just made with the 10 mods in it

and you would need to keep having to repeat steps
once you have this bigger file. that has all the .esp, .NIF and whatever else that goes there.

Basically you would have to recreate the Morrowind.esm every time you wanted to add a mod.
Beacuse he is talking about having to merge all the stuff together every time before the file is usable.

If this is not what he is talking about then these instructions are crap because what I just explained above is precisley what he has said to do in this tutorial.

Just wnated to add this because this obviously needs to be re-explained properly

#3 darthmunky

darthmunky

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, computers, technology, biking, badmenton, deep-forest hiking
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

There is no Mod converter for download on that site.

#4 ryanx1

ryanx1

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:59 AM

That's understandable, considering that post was made in March of 2005. Regardless the original topic creator can't reply, as he is banned. There are working tutorials here. Here is a link to one of them. I'm not entirely sure all the links still work and haven't bothered to check, but at least you can still find names of the apps to look up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users