• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loosenut

loosenut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

I heard that some games like Halo 2 take up all of the system RAM on the Xbox, so you can't run a Halo 2 backup on top of EvoX (because it takes up additional RAM that isn't available), which prevents you from playing a backed up version of Halo 2. Is this true? Has anybody got Halo 2 backups to play on their Xbox?

I assume you can't play a backup without some kind of dashboard like EvoX.

If this is true, is there a list of games that will not work because of this issue? Are there dashboards besides EvoX that use less RAM and might allow some of these games to be played?

Thanks!

#2 wolf88

wolf88

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

Nope, not an issue. The dash doesn't run in the background.

#3 iwannadie

iwannadie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

i dont know why but it makes me think of this for some reasons....

user posted image

#4 loosenut

loosenut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE(wolf88 @ Mar 16 2005, 12:29 PM)
Nope, not an issue. The dash doesn't run in the background.

Cool, thanks.

You do need a dashboard or some form of modded Xbox to play a backup, though, right? You can't just stick a backup disc in a regular out-of-the-box.

Can you explain how the dashboard launches the game? Does it unload itself? I'm just curious.

#5 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

learning time smile.gif

a modded xbox is an xbox that has the ability to run unsigned code. this is due to the bios being modified or replaced, which in turn allows non-MS xbes (i.e backups and apps etc) to run. this can be acheived with a modchip, a softmod, or a tsop flash.

the dashboard is merely a mini-OS that allows the user to manually launch xbes (well its sole use is anyway). though it is not because of this that backups can be launched.

the backups themselves are permitted to run by the bios. the bios also autolaunches the backups upon bootup (well usually). the dashboard can be used to launch any xbe (eg. a backup) manually by the user if they want. but it is not this which allows backups to run.

on another note, the xbox is a one task system. this means that if a backup is running, then the dashboard is not running, or any other program/xbe for that matter. so there are no issues when it comes to RAM.

#6 loosenut

loosenut

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Mar 16 2005, 01:56 PM)
learning time smile.gif

You are truly wise in the ways of Xbox. smile.gif

Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users