• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chrsaenz

chrsaenz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:55 AM

I bought my Xbox like 9 months ago, my friends told me I was lucky cause I had a Samsung Drive, but after a while it began having problems reading my orignial games, what happened is that it didnt have the glue or whatever it has over the pot so I began decreasing the pot level. I found a tutorial on calibrating but it was for a Samsung with 2 potentiometers. So I adjust mine to a higher level and started to read again my games but with some problems. uhh.gif I would like the correct number of Ohms for the 1 pot Samsung Dirve uhh.gif , I dont care on reading Cd-R, I just want it to stop having those Disk Error Messages.

#2 Stitch_626

Stitch_626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:25 AM

605f don't read cdr's. To adjust the pot the experts who repair roms use a CRO set the optimium point to get the best signal with min current thru' the laser. Too much current will shorten the life as it gets too hot and you will have a dead laser. If you want to read a wide range of media, modd or get a modded 616e with dual f/w. In one mode its just like a 605f with fewer read errors (4X) and in the other mode it reads everything else @ full speed (16X).

#3 Stitch_626

Stitch_626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:26 AM

sorry for double post got an error

Edited by Stitch_626, 22 March 2005 - 01:29 AM.

#4 ChInEsE ChIcKeN

ChInEsE ChIcKeN

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Interests:If I'm here at a xbox modding forum what other kind of interests could i have?
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

i wouldnt recamend pot tweaking......you are kind of playing a game of chance......most people dont pot tweak unless they are eventually going to buy a new laser for that drive........there is s 6-8 out of 10 chance that your leser will not work........

#5 JiGGaWHO

JiGGaWHO

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

I flashed my drive with that dual firmware from your tutorial it recognizes discs in it's native mode but in emulation mode it does not work at all... telling people to combine the LD_DVD,LD_CD is also misleading since they are not just combined like that, they are combined with a series of resistors and chip on the little pcb you provide. I have tested these lines myself, since either of them become active when either a DVD or CD is placed in the drive and they read 2.2v, I can only conclude the chip is there to some how pull the voltage up to 3.3v or some other sort of logic that combines the two that will give the xbox the ready signal it needs. With this in mind, I wonder why you didn't use the M1(ready) signal since it's outputs 3.3v right away? hmmm...
So why don't my drive recognize the originals or audio cd in emulation mode?
Just wondering...

HINT:
I have socketed my SST39SF020A also but after the pesky thing don't want to be reflashed after you have flashed it...i found a way to flash it in DOS while it's still in the drive...works really well for me.

Edited by JiGGaWHO, 19 April 2005 - 05:26 PM.

#6 kaka_maka

kaka_maka

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(JiGGaWHO @ Apr 19 2005, 08:29 AM)
I flashed my drive with that dual firmware from your tutorial it recognizes discs in it's native mode but in emulation mode it does not work at all...  telling people to combine the LD_DVD,LD_CD is also misleading since they are not just combined like that, they are combined with a series of resistors and chip on the little pcb you provide.  I have tested these lines myself, since either of them become active when either a DVD or CD is placed in the drive and they read 2.2v, I can only conclude the chip is there to some how pull the voltage up to 3.3v or some other sort of logic that combines the two that will give the xbox the ready signal it needs.  With this in mind, I wonder why you didn't use the M1(ready) signal since it's outputs 3.3v right away? hmmm...
So why don't my drive recognize the originals or audio cd in emulation mode?
Just wondering...

HINT:
I have socketed my SST39SF020A also but after the pesky thing don't want to be reflashed after you have flashed it...i found a way to flash it in DOS while it's still in the drive...works really well for me.

View Post

I did that mod too but my own way (no interface board) and it works fine on both modes. The only side effects are it shows on the dash screen 'Ejecting' when the tray is open. I assume this is because of the timing of the signals (ready, trin, trout) are not the same as the original drive and the firware does not change it.
The other side effect it the tary does not autoclose during power off. I want to play more to see if I can work around those litle things. Other then that it works great!

Are you sure you have flashed the added chip and not the original one? it could be if some of the pins are not soldered well...

#7 JiGGaWHO

JiGGaWHO

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Um if it was not all soldered it would not have detected the second chip, as i've said in my reply, it works in the normal mode as the regular drive, and i know which is which. In the emulation mode it's detected as an SDG-605f i put the disc in but as usual it says no disc. How did you combine LD_DVD,LD_CD and can i have that bin that you flashed your chip with?
After I made my post, I kind figured the chip on the interface is probably a voltage comparator and not a logic ic as i first originally thought...oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users