majinsoftware

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:22 AM

I just installed xdsl and its really hard to navagate as the screen seems to be missing the top bottom and left and right its like its been zoomed in to much is there a settings to fix this. No xbox games have this problem but evoX has it a tiny bit but its not noticable.

thankx biggrin.gif

and keep up the good work with XDSL its really go now i have a computer in my room lol.

#2 The Fiend

The Fiend

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

i have this same problem, and when i go to adjust the screen overscan and everything, it comes back saying it needs to be a correct value... when infact it is!

480p won't work with me either, i don't have an HDTV pack or an HDTV for that matter

#3 ESW

ESW

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(majinsoftware @ Mar 30 2005, 03:28 AM)
I just installed xdsl and its really hard to navagate as the screen seems to be missing the top bottom and left and right its like its been zoomed in to much is there a settings to fix this. No xbox games have this problem but evoX has it a tiny bit but its not noticable.

thankx biggrin.gif

and keep up the good work with XDSL its really go now i have a computer in my room lol.

View Post

Itīs the same with me. I donīt have a HDTV and need to ajust the screen. Itīs really hard to use the system with the big screen.

[]īs

#4 ilikelunch

ilikelunch

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:14 PM

If you want to change the resolution try opening a terminal window, type in sudo su, type in beaver, open the linuxboot.cfg file, and that should be in your e: drive, witch is mounted under cdrom, and then where it says video=xbox:640x480, change it to video=xbox:800x600.

That should work, unless I'm on the wrong track with what you were saying, probably the case. smile.gif

#5 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:43 PM

As long as you don't have a v1.6 xbox and are not using a hdtv mode the best way to correct overscan is as follows:

open linuxboot.cfg and find the line which starts with append and contains video=640x480. Change this part of the line to

video=xbox:640x480,hoc=X,voc=Y

where X is the % horizontal overscan correction and Y is the % vertical overscan correction. Experiment with different numbers in the range (0-20) until you find something that fits your screen.

If you have a v1.6 or are using a hdtv mode (480p / 720p) then the above won't work. Instead you need to alter the framebuffer settings manually with fbset

see here for more details.

#6 cele-ct

cele-ct

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:31 AM

Since dslbox is down , anyone want to copy/paste a cache or something ? Would love to get 720p working nice here.

#7 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(cele-ct @ May 19 2005, 01:42 AM)
Since dslbox is down , anyone want to copy/paste a cache or something ? Would love to get 720p working nice here.

View Post

No problem

============================================================
On v1.6 xboxes the kernel has limited support for the xbox's graphics chip and so has no built in overscan correction i.e. the timing (the sum of visible and non visible pixels) is fixed. Simialrly there is no overscan correction when using any of the hdtv modes on any xbox versions.

In theory it should be possible to increase the number of invisible pixiels and decrease the number of visible pixels by the same amount, reducing the resolution but correcting overscan.

The command you need to use for this is fbset. This shouldn't be run in X so you need to start in textmode and either have a usb keyboard or be able to ssh into XDSL (add 2 ssh to the append line in linuxboot.cfg) see the CHEATCODES.txt included in the download for more details. Then if your using ssh connect to your xbox using the username root and pass xbox.

First run fbset -s to see your current framebuffer infomation

it should look something like this:

mode "640x480-60"
# D: 25.176 MHz, H: 31.469 kHz, V: 59.942 Hz
geometry 640 480 640 480 32
timings 39721 40 24 32 11 96 2
accel true
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

the format is as follows

geometry xres yres vxres vyres depth
timings pixclock left right upper lower hslen vslen

If you want to find out what all of these mean type man fbset. The ones we are interested in are:

xres, yres - horizontal and vertical resolution
vxres,vyres - virtual horizontal and vertical resolution (should match xres, yres in most cases)
left, right, upper, lower - margins at left, right, top and bottom of the screen

We want to decrease the resolution and increase the margins to compensate. The horizontal and vertical resolution number must always be divisible by 8 and the sums

xres + left + right
yres + upper + lower

should remain constant. You should keep any other settings (pixclock etc) the same

You can apply new settings with

fbset -g <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> -t <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen>

So for example you could could try decreasing the vertical resolution by 40 and increasing the top and bottom margins by 20 each to compenstate

Starting with the timing infomation above this would yield

fbset -g 640 440 640 440 32 -t 39721 40 24 52 31 96 2

Moving centre of the screen:

With these adjustments you may find it fixes overscan on one side of the screen (e.g the bottom left) but not on the opposite side as the screen is nolonger centered. To change this try the following:

Looks like to change the position of the screen you need to change the position of the sync pulses. This time tweak hslen and vslen while keeping the sums

xres + left + right + hslen
yres + upper + lower + vslen

constant

hslen is length of horizontal sync pulse, vslen length of vertical sync pulse

To move the screen to the right I think you need to increase hslen & decrease the left and right margins to compensate. To move the screen up increase vslen & decrease the top and bottom margins to compensate. I think you will need to make your changes in multiples of 8 (i.e. could decrease top and bottom margin by 8 increase vslen by 16)

Disclaimer: I don't have a v1.6 xbox or hdtv set to test this on - this is all theory. If you make big changes to the timing infomation it may be possible to damage your television - be careful when changing things and just make small changes.

If it does work for you add the fbset command you used into /opt/bootlocal.sh so it is run everytime you use XDSL
========================================================

Edited by friedgold, 19 May 2005 - 01:35 AM.

#8 WhatTheHello

WhatTheHello

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:39 AM

i tried that before. its very hard to get it to perfection.

#9 JesseWHHS

JesseWHHS

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:21 AM

haha, here i was gonna try out linux on my xbox. but i read this postr adn saw what u go through to change the screen resolution!! haha. no thanx smile.gif

ill leave it to u smart peopel biggrin.gif

Edited by JesseWHHS, 19 May 2005 - 05:28 AM.

#10 WhatTheHello

WhatTheHello

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

bleh. so far i can run linux. its the stupid overscan correction thats not working on the 1.6 xbox's

damn that MS. grr.gif

#11 |vibez|

|vibez|

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

Can anyone confirm this works?

#12 edsrouter

edsrouter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:47 AM

I can confirm that so far on my TV the fbset method appears to simply not work. (I have a Pioneer HDTV 56" Widescreen) I can SSH into X-DSL fine using Putty. Internet Connection via the router works easily. I've tried tightening the left and right and increasing the resolution but it still appears the same. When I use slightly more extreme values the screen disappears or overlaps. I've followed the rule set of divisible by 8 and keeping the 3 components constant that was listed above. I'm sort of out of options besides using the hoc and voc method. I've tried it once but I don't belive there was any difference at all. I will experiment with this a little more tonight taking it off of 480p and just using video=xbox:640x480 or 720x480.

It's also important to note that my default.xbe file is not cromwell or xromwell it's Gentoox's Cromwell Xromwell unofficial release. This probably doesn't effect anything. I just haven't got the cromwell 2.4 release to actually work don't know if this because UnleashX's BIOS is messing with this or not. Cromwell goes into a kernel panic and completely shuts down the Xbox.

Can anyone confirm anything about the hoc and voc method?

#13 ronaldraygun

ronaldraygun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

So i have a problem with my xdsl. Except i can't get my xbox to work with the hd pack at all. It looks like the vertical hold is gone crazy, is there anyway to ge that to stop and act normal? it works fine with the regular av pack. And if not will the S-video work? is it any better than the normal av pack?

#14 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(|vibez| @ Jun 4 2005, 01:47 PM)
Can anyone confirm this works?

View Post

I've been told by a couple of people using HDTV this has worked for them. I've been told by someone with a v1.6 they were able to improve overscan but not eliminate it completely (the screen wasn't centred). I don't have a HDTV/v1.6 so I really can't offer much more advice - it really needs more people to just mess about with fbset and report their findings. I got most of my info from the following places:

overscan thread on gentoox forums
hdtv howto on xbox-linux.org

QUOTE(edsrouter @ Jun 5 2005, 02:58 AM)
I'm sort of out of options besides using the hoc and voc method. I've tried it once but I don't belive there was any difference at all. I will experiment with this a little more tonight taking it off of 480p and just using video=xbox:640x480 or 720x480.

View Post

As far as I know the hoc,voc options have no effect with HDTV modes or when using a v1.6 xbox. Everything I've seen suggests fbset is the answer for these. You might also want to try messing around with xbv (just type xbv --help for more info).

QUOTE(ronaldraygun @ Jun 5 2005, 08:36 AM)
So i have a problem with my xdsl. Except i can't get my xbox to work with the hd pack at all. It looks like the vertical hold is gone crazy, is there anyway to ge that to stop and act normal? it works fine with the regular av pack. And if not will the S-video work? is it any better than the normal av pack?

View Post

Do you have a HDTV? 480i doesn't work with component - only 480p and 720p are support using the hd pack. On v1.6s I think only 480p works. Also cromwell has some issues with HDTV + certain Xbox versions - you might want to give the gentoox loader a go to see if that's any better. I think s-video works but I'm not certain (and I've got no way of testing it here anyway).

#15 edsrouter

edsrouter

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:13 AM

Thanks to friedgold for the links. I did tool around with this further and found out that these settings work for me. (As suggested in both of the links)

SSH into X-DSL and type:
"fbset -g 640 440 640 440 32 -t 37000 100 54 45 33 64 7" (no quotes). Also you MUST (well, for me I had to anyway) alter the linuxboot.cfg file to read video=xbox:640x480. If you have this set on video=xbox:480p (or HDTV readable) when you input the above fbset command the screen will be garbled. Friedgold's link (overscan thread on gentoox forums) http://forums.shalla...opic.php?t=1389 has a section regarding making this work with 480p. I haven't tried this. This tutorial was written for Gentoox, but it appears you can do the exact same thing on Xebian. (You can see I used the initial fbset settings from this forum to correct my overscan) However I can not find the file XF86Config-4 mentioned below. I'm not really advanced in this so if anyone knows if there's a way to alter console video "modes"..... please help!!

Quote gentoox shallax forum:

Thanks to all the forum postings, various web pages, etc, I was able to put the pieces of the puzzle together. One guy's web page that I came across had the correct settings for X Windows to display correctly on an HDTV with 480p.

I will be tweaking the settings to see about 540p or 1080i (my TV doesnt support 720p) - IMO the desktop resolution of 640 x 480 is ridiculously small.

Here is how I did it:

1. DO this from a PuTTY/Terminal/SSH session as root (If X/KDE/XFCE is running the screen will be garbled after this - It is normal and ok):
fbset -g 640 440 640 440 32 -t 37000 100 54 45 33 64 7

2. Then run (this will give you needed parameters for X Windows):
fbset -x

---------------------------
THIS SHOULD APPEAR
---------------------------
Xbox # fbset -x

Mode "640x440"
# D: 27.027 MHz, H: 31.500 kHz, V: 60.000 Hz
DotClock 27.028
HTimings 640 694 758 858
VTimings 440 473 480 525
Flags "-HSync" "-VSync" # Warning: XFree86 doesn't support accel

EndMode
----------------------------

4. Edit "etc/X11/XF86Config-4" (pico XF86Config-4) find "Modeline 'xbox' "

5. Change the settings to what you got from fbset -x
Example:

Modeline "xbox" 27.027 640 694 758 858 440 473 480 525 -HSync -VSync

Exit and save XF86Config-4

6. X windows will still be garbled, You can restart X by pressing CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, it should be purdy now.

-Jared
I am a n00b to Linux, but learning quickly. Please dont flame me.
(End Quote) ----------------------

This didn't correct my overscan completely. It left the lower screen still covered. I tooled around with it some more and it only got worse. I suggest for the users who wish to utilize the GUI (Looks like it's called the "Slit") on the right side of the screen to "right click" or press B on the X-pad and place it somewhere readable such as "Center Right". If anyone succeeds in the HDTV settings for X-dsl please post!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users