• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#256 mi-kun

mi-kun

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

I intalled windos "me" transferd it to the xb and started it up.
It loaded but when it gets to the blue background screen and asks for a password and I click "yes" or "no" on the widow, the window desapears and I hear the xb hard disc starts working, but nothing hapends on the screen the mouse slows down awfully I waited for 15 min until the screen saver came on.

How long does it usually take to start up?

#257 JBmtk

JBmtk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

I think we are all waiting on a working 98.sh file that enables the DVD rom and audio. Please, if you have it working, post it!

- and to those that have the error, "no such file/directory exists" make sure you are running xdsl in frugal install, not loopback or native cause its formated upon default for the frugal installation.

#258 JBmtk

JBmtk

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:19 AM

NVM, I found solution:

#!/bin/bash
echo Loading Windows 98... -m.e
sudo /cdrom/qemu/qemu -L /cdrom/qemu/ -m 32 -hda /cdrom/win98.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -full-screen -enable-audio

(copy paste whole thing and should only be 3 lines)

--make sure your disk that you want to install, like starcaraft is inserted BEFORE you run: sh /cdrom/98.sh

--that is key, if there is no CD/DVD in the xbox's drive, than you will receive an error in xterminal like: qemu:can not execute program: -dev/cdrom

--if you get a segmenation fault from xterminal, try sh /cdrom/98.sh again and it will probably work

**my question is how to get 256 bit color in windows 98 cause otherwise I can't play starcraft...it gives an error

Edited by JBmtk, 16 February 2007 - 06:30 AM.

#259 Blaspool

Blaspool

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Girls, Fishing, Football, Lacrosse, My Truck, Hunting
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

wow, Kudos to you m.e, I really want this, but will I still be able to play xbox games with it, and can it run as an app on my Unleashed-x dash? Will it run on an XBMC dash? thats option 2. Plus, I have a 160 gig HD that is I am in the process of installing, just being lazy. In any case, thanks.

BTW:

1. Internet Capabilities?

2. Play old P.C. games (a few examples please)

3. Do I need 98?
a. Is DSL any better?
b. Can I make a thing were I can choose to fire up either one?

4. Do I need to put the disc in every time I want to play *err* use the X-DSL?

Thanks,
Moose

#260 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Blaspool @ Jul 18 2008, 04:14 AM) View Post

wow, Kudos to you m.e, I really want this, but will I still be able to play xbox games with it, and can it run as an app on my Unleashed-x dash? Will it run on an XBMC dash? thats option 2. Plus, I have a 160 gig HD that is I am in the process of installing, just being lazy. In any case, thanks.

BTW:

3. Do I need 98?
a. Is DSL any better?

4. Do I need to put the disc in every time I want to play *err* use the X-DSL?

Thanks,
Moose

here is a link to the page on the latest greatest linux release for XBOX!
http://forums.xbox-s...p;#entry4310184

surf the web with firefox2.0, plus can install apps like mirc,utorrent,limewire,amsn (msn messenger clone)

with alot of work (internet searching) diablo works, as for whatever other game ya want, if it doesnt have accellerated 3D graphics... then it will/should run.

3. Do I need 98?
a. Is DSL any better?

the windows 98 on xbox, is running through xdsl...which makes it nest to useless because you only have 64 megs of ram total anyway, and it just makes it too slow...not to mention, its a hell of alot of work to get 98 to boot, I did it, and saved all the stuuf so i could do it again...but only as a novelty, to show friends how smart i am... I'm like look what I can do.. lol

4. Do I need to put the disc in every time I want to play *err* use the X-DSL?,

if you can ftp from your computer, you never need a disc.
just ftp the file over and run em.

xdsl also comes with xmms/mplayer/ and now xine media players

xdsl launches like any other app, but to get outve it you should reboot by rightclicking (b button) then exit/reboot/shutdown.

there are three ways to install xdsl

-frugal - (basicly a good safe way to try it out)
runs from the files on your hdd just like it was running from a disc, no changes can be saved (easily)

-loopback - (the best way to run on an xbox that is still used to play too)
creates a 200 to 2000 meg file on your hdd which is like a disc image of a linux filesystem, and xdsl is installed into the image and basicly that image is your boot drive .

-native - ( if you dont use your xbox for games anymore)
ERASES YOUR F-DRIVE and reformats the drive to .ext (linux filesystem)

all three ways will still be launched as an app, unless you set it up different.

Thanks,
Moose

no problem
try it, and you wont be disappointed
ill shut up now

#261 RabidWeezle

RabidWeezle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Trevante @ Apr 5 2005, 07:14 AM) View Post

Pretty cool, but may I ask, what is the point of running win98 on the Xbox?

I just want to know, what's up with people who post "what is the point?" What's the point of that? lol

Like you go on youtube and watch videos of people who get amulators running on their <insert console name here> and all the replies they get are around the lines of, "What is the point of installing <insert emulator or homebrew here> on the <insert console here>" demanding some sort of explanation from us. I am about to give a generic answer for all of the above questions so all "I must comment on this because I don't understand" folks out there.

First off. some of the people go, "Why would you want to install a <insert emulator/os name here> on a <insert comment here>. Why would you want to pay for this console just to run old games or run an operating system on it.

When it comes to emulators, it's all about the fact that first, hardly anyone actually has working hardware for the older games, and *gasp* we still love to play these old games in their original form because we grew up to them. We didn't grow up to halo, we grew up to stuff like pacman or mario 1 on nes, or sonic the hedgehog on genesis, or pong even. So those games are extra special to us. And getting the original hardware actually costs alot more than an xbox these days. Xbox is 50 bucks at EB Games whilst you have to ebay for the older systems and ataris are actually selling for like the same. And I have seen genesis nomads for like 200 bucks. And since they have joysticks and the xboxes are better than pc's because you can get it on your tv without binding up your pc to the tv using svideo out, you can keep your pc at your desk/lap.

On The linux side. 50 dollar web server/tv web browser/dosbox emulator/cluster node/whatever you want it to be really. Add on a usb cable from playasia you got a decent tv based pc for about 60 bucks. Nuff said.

So please people STOP posting about "What's the point", because now you all know.

#262 Master Reefed

Master Reefed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

lol
whats the point of writing all that to complain about people asking whats the point?

#263 StrictPuppet

StrictPuppet

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:38 AM

@ RabidWeezle: You do realise that post is over 3 years old? Imagine how many "whats the point" posts he has made since then...... makes me shudder. jester.gif

#264 cbagy

cbagy

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Nothing legal probably !
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:35 AM

Read all about XDSL last week. Dowloaded it, installed it. Great. Saw win98lite got it used it.
Decided to build my own, did the research got the tools, spent over a week learning, built an img.
Decided to do loopback install for my XDSL as i believe then it will save changes to the system.
Now im stumped on the correct 98.sh format for discovering my image as i would like the win98.img to be read and write the same as my Small Linux. The standard is sh /cdrom/98.sh as im sure your all aware
however i need the images dis-associated with my cdrom as i need all devices to be writable you see.
Can FTP to box no problem, i understand the xbox directory structure.

I havent tried for a couple of hours and then gave up (like most do) ive been at it days, sometimes 10hrs a day no shit. im so close to enjoying my setup HOWEVER i need someone with a little time to point me where im going wrong. Not a proper noob, just not that experienced with linux. Help me please.

#265 yungplaya76

yungplaya76

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'm running windows 98lite preview on my xbox under linux. I'm trying to ftp with my computer so I can add more files in there how do I get the my computers ip address and user and password. I already have a crossover cable to do it with.

#266 luther349

luther349

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:23 AM

the overhead of emulation windows on qemu on a xbox would make the os crawl. or any pc emulator. linux on the xbox is slow enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users