• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gotenks75

gotenks75

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:12 AM

I am wondering what the difference between softmods and hardmods. Both seem to be able to do the same things, one for a much cheaper prices. What all can a hardmod do that a softmod can't do.

And with a softmod you can go on xbox live right?

#2 munkle

munkle

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:23 AM

a softmod cant go on live unless your flashing the tsop and puting in a switch on it or unless you delete the softmod, a chip can basically fix any error code and it will fix a f'd softmod, and you can turn it off to go on live, its fun to install you can get a doux2 great chip for 15$, if something in the software goes wrong with a chip its alot easier to fix then a softmod

#3 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:24 AM

You cant change the boot logo w/ a softmod.
You can only use live w/ certain precautions on a softmod.
Other than that you can do everything else a modchip can w/ a softmod.

#4 cmiz

cmiz

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:14 AM

can't boot from an unlocked HD....you can get around that with xboxhdm, but it's still a bit of a hassle

#5 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(cmiz @ Apr 5 2005, 10:20 PM)
can't boot from an unlocked HD....you can get around that with xboxhdm, but it's still a bit of a hassle

View Post

xboxhdm won't do anything to make a softmod be able to boot an unlocked HD.

#6 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(munkle @ Apr 6 2005, 03:29 PM)
a softmod cant go on live unless your flashing the tsop and puting in a switch on it or unless you delete the softmod, a chip can basically fix any error code and it will fix a f'd softmod, and you can turn it off to go on live, its fun to install you can get a doux2 great  chip for 15$, if something in the software goes wrong with a chip its alot easier to fix then a softmod

View Post

I disagree with that one. You can still go on LIVE providing you uninstall the softmod (which is not hard if you get one of those UXE installers) first and afterwards re-install the softmod. I know it's a pain that's why chips are good in that sense because you just turn the chip off. And one more thing always use the same hdd you used when you registered on xbox live.

#7 JustinT9669

JustinT9669

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

Hardmod is 10X easier...softmods = ppl who are too cheap and lazy to get a modchip.

#8 Zdemon29958

Zdemon29958

welcome to my underground lair..

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:46 AM

I have a softmod and nothing has gone wrong yet and i've had it for 2 months. But the only reason why I chose the softmod over the hardmod is because I don't play on XBL.

#9 arez

arez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:stuff...with things...an ppl....with those things....in those places....remember?
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:02 AM

:X!!!
I use a softmod becuase I cant get highspeed (Hence no Live) and I (For reasons that do not concern you) Can't buy stuff online >.>
Also, I live in Vernon Florida.....I dare you to try and buy a modchip here XD (This is also why.
Dont Steriotype soft modders -.-
thats like trying to steriotype ppl who play gamecube or people who hard mod.
You just cant do it (accurately anyway).

#10 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(JustinT9669 @ Apr 6 2005, 04:50 PM)
Hardmod is 10X easier...softmods = ppl who are too cheap and lazy to get a modchip.

View Post

Just goes to show you don't know a lot about softmods.

Edited by shadow23, 06 April 2005 - 09:12 AM.

#11 cmiz

cmiz

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(jameswalter @ Apr 6 2005, 01:31 AM)
xboxhdm won't do anything to make a softmod be able to boot an unlocked HD.

View Post

well you can boot from a locked drive....and xboxhdm locks the drive....so like i said, it's a workaround but still a bit of a hassle. (assuming of course the softmodder is intelligent enough to backup their eeprom)

QUOTE(JustinT9669 @ Apr 6 2005, 01:50 AM)

View Post

you're an idiot biggrin.gif

there are some good reasons to use a chip instead of a softmod....but there are also a lot of reasons to softmod over chip. one being updates, my mod is currently the newet of everything. also, i've never heard of anyone breaking their motherboard while installing a softmod. not to mention the fact that i can install a softmod in...about 2 minutes (so it's not really 10x harder). last but not least, i'm better with software than i am with soldering...hence softmodding is more up my alley (there are certainly people out there that can solder anything but don't know shit about software...for them installing a chip is probably a better call).

as far as installing goes...i installed a switch to split the TSOP and then flashed my V1.0 (so it's not like i'm not competent enough to install a chip), and as far as money goes...i could certainly buy a chip. the fact still remains, i don't want/need one. why would i?

in summary....people have different preferences. if you want a mod chip, by all means install one. if you want to TSOP flash, go ahead and have fun. if you want to softmod, that's great too. calling a group lazy cheap or stupid for doing what they're best at is completely uncalled for.

#12 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Actually if I'm not mistaken, you can use Live if you use a virtual C drive. I have never tried though.

#13 cmiz

cmiz

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:26 PM

you can...but the virtual drive isn't in effect. nkpatcher loads that, and since coldbooting bypasses nkpatcher, you're nullifying it. as long as you have the xbox live account already on your xbox when you mod it, it doesn't really matter whats on your hard drive (because ms isn't scanning drives currently).

#14 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

I swear i see this topic once a week. Use the search button and i'm sure you'll find this topic has been beaten to death.

Caster.

#15 xboxgamer733

xboxgamer733

X-S Moderating Team

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Apr 6 2005, 10:27 AM)
Actually if I'm not mistaken, you can use Live if you use a virtual C drive. I have never tried though.

View Post

While the C drive will look stock when nkpatcher loads, nkpatcher loads because the BIOS in memory has been patched to allow unsigned content to be run. Xbox Live will see that the BIOS has been modified, and you'll be banned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users