5 replies to this topic

#1 twinair

twinair

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

hey all,
i'm totally new to xbox scene, and totally new to xbox.

yay !
i hear you say, another person who know's bugger all about xbox.
yep, that's me.

anyway, i've loaded all the software i want/need on my xbox.
but when i turn my xbox on, i'd like it to boot straight into the XBMC.
at present, it does not, it just goes to the BIOS dash, the X3 screen ( i think that's what it's called )
[ can you tell i'm new yet?]

lol, i hope i'm making sense.

so i'm sure there's a file i have to edit somewhere or something to get it to start in that fashion.
now, i don't have any fancy dashboards of software on there, just the XBMC dash. i'm purely using this thing as a media center, and not at all for games.
if anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

oh, also, i've made a FTP connection to it, and i've actually had a bit of a snoop around the directory structure, i can't seem to find anything that stands out.
which brings me to my next question, is there a prefered directory structure that should be used?
or just put XBMC and other apps anywhere on the hard drive?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers !

#2 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:07 PM

Sounds like you have a xecuter3 and the os boots off of the chip if I am not mistaken . If I am mistaken download xbmc yake the default.xbe file and rename it to evoxdash.xbe and load that and your mediacenter.xml into your c drive . (ftp it) . Before you put xboxmediacenter.xml into your c drive open it with notepad and find the line that says

CODE
<!-- When using XBMC as dashboard, define home directory here !-->
 <!-- and move the XBMC xbe plus this xml config file to C:\   !-->
 <!--        Example: <home>E:\Apps\XBMC\</home>               !-->

<home></home>

Cange it to

CODE
<!-- When using XBMC as dashboard, define home directory here !-->
 <!-- and move the XBMC xbe plus this xml config file to C:\   !-->
 <!--        Example: <home>E:\Apps\XBMC\</home>               !-->

<home>F:\apps\YOUR XBOX MEDIA CENTER FOLDER HERE!!!!</home>

then load the whole xbmc folder into your designated home drive f e whatever (ftp)

THen when you boot up it will automatically go to xbmc

Hope that helps

Edited by Lamer123, 06 April 2005 - 12:08 PM.

#3 twinair

twinair

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:37 PM

thanks for your swift response.

I do have an executer3, how do i change the fact that the OS boots from the chip?
is that what the dipswitches on the front do?
or can it not be done ?
or will what you just told me over-ride the fact it boots from the chip

also, i'm pretty sure i don't have evoX.
i ran the bootCD, formatted all, and just installed the XBMC dashboard.
that's all i want.
is this not a good thing to do for my purpose?

sorry for the barrage of questions.
i'm just keen to get this thing working.

#4 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

I am not too keen on the newer mod chips as I have always tsoped or softmodded . So i really do not know how the new xecuter bios works but if you want to get an old one and flash it try xbins ( Don't know how to get on xbins?? ) That would definetly remedy that problem . And as far as using installer cd's . They are nice for beginners but if you really want to use your xbox effectively acess to xbins and the ability to install your own dashes and apps is crucial . Using installer cd's they are ussually outdated and full of apps that you don't need . As far as anything else you need the Tutorials section of this site is the best thing since sliced bread . It's like the bible of xbox modding , read those and you will unleash the power of your box . But again I want to emphasize that I haven't used a chip(chameleon) since i got my gamesave hack loaded onto a mem card and flashed the tsop on my 1.0 . Ever since then its been mostly softmodding for my friends for free . And now that the live network does hard drive checks I really dont see many advantages to having a modchip unless you are running multiple hard drives .

#5 XBNormUK

XBNormUK

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

Not sure if im wide of the mark on this, and I am doing this from memory as im away from my box, but in your X3 config, the menu system it is booting to by default there are settings for this.
I think its in X3 settings, and the 2 you are looking for are Dashboard boot priority and another dashboard option, (cant remember name).
basically, your box looks in partition C for dashboard files by default, and looks for a specific filename in a specific order, but you can change all of this using these settings.
You wanna amend the boot priority so the XMBC is at the top, ie first. Then you wanna make sure the box is looking for the files in the right place. Either make sure they are all in C, or change the place it looks for them in the settings to where they are located. you can even change the filenames it is looking for in there I think.

Hope this helps
Norm

#6 TDCatcher

TDCatcher

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(XBNormUK @ Apr 7 2005, 08:28 AM)
Not sure if im wide of the mark on this, and I am doing this from memory as im away from my box, but in your X3 config, the menu system it is booting to by default there are settings for this.
I think its in X3 settings, and the 2 you are looking for are  Dashboard boot priority and another dashboard option, (cant remember name).
basically, your box looks in partition C for dashboard files by default, and looks for a specific filename in a specific order, but you can change all of this using these settings.
You wanna amend the boot priority so the XMBC is at the top, ie first. Then you wanna make sure the box is looking for the files in the right place. Either make sure they are all in C, or change the place it looks for them in the settings to where they are located. you can even change the filenames it is looking for in there I think.

Hope this helps
Norm

View Post

That is correct and you also need to set your live config to disabled. Then it will boot straight to your dash. If you ever want to get back to your configuration tool (the one if currently boots to) hold down the white button on your controller and you can get back to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users