1 reply to this topic

#1 migzy

migzy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

Just trying to work out what i'm doing wrong with xbmc.

1. I've got all my MP3's stored on my pc, the folders are set to shared on the pc.
If i try to browse from my xbox, i get as far as seeing the workgroup, then the pc, then it says access denied. Do i need to set up a special user on the network share.

If i want to use the itunes network share, i've enabled it on Itunes, but can't get it to work on xbmc, any ideas?

Cheers

Migzy

#2 migzy

migzy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

think i've found it, info as follows

You'll kick yourself when you realize how easy it is to get these devices to communicate.

First things first, you need so setup a method of authentication so your PC can authenticate your XBOX to talk to it. So you need to create an account on your PC for your XBOX

PC: Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > Add
Create an account username: xbox
password: Xb0X99999

Next you need to share some content and authorize user xbox to access it.

start > run > compmgmt.msc (this opens Computer Manager)
Go into Shared Folders \ Shares and create a new share called Music.

Set permissions for Administrators have Full Access and Users have read-only access.

Test share:
Reboot your PC and log in as xbox. Once logged in,
Start > Run > \\machineName\Music

Your share should open up.

Test your network connection:
start > run > cmd.exe (opens the Win32 Com component (DOS prompt))

at the cmd prompt type:
ping <IPAddress of XBOX> (leave out the <> )

NOTE: if you don't know the IP address of the XBOX take a look at your dashboard.
Personally I recommend using a static IP for your XBOX and PC server and I only use DHCP for wireless nodes

Now you should get "REPLIED" in the StdOutput of the prompt. If you get something like, Timed Out then the ip is resolving as a valid node but it's not powered on. If you get something like "Destination Net Unreachable" then your fundemental network setup is wrong because you have nodes on seperate subnets and no implicit trust/route relationship between them.

Assuming you got "Replies" to your ping then the PC can see the XBOX and thus the XBOX can see the PC.

Now you'll edit your XBMC config file to include the crudentials of this XBOX account and the SMB share path to mount.

Find the My Music Share Bookmark and edit the XML <path> tag so it looks like this:
<bookmark>
<name>SMB</name>
<path>smb://xbox:Xb0X99999@192.168.1.1/Music</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>WORKGROUPS (SMB)</name>
<path>smb://killersoft</path>
</bookmark>
</music>

Once saved and copied to the xbox, reboot the XBOX and open XBMC. Go to My Music and select the open SMB. And now you see your PC dirs and files via the XBOX.

One final note. If you try to mount and you get "Access Denied" then you probably editted the wrong <path> tag in your XBMC config file.

Just to be sure your crudentials are right, go to another PC and then:
start > run > cmd.exe
at the prompt: c:\>start \\<IpAddress>\Music

This will open up the share on your other PC. You can be sure the crudentials are good.

And Lastly (this applies to Win2003 Server and maybe XPSP2) if you get something like NT_TREE_ERROR then you'll need to reverse the Nazi security that's been placed on Win2003 server (when acting as a Domain Controller anyways).

Start > Run > secpol.msc (opens Policy Editor)
navigate to Local Policies > Security Options > MS Network Server : Digitally Sign Communications (Always)

Change this policy to (Disable) and reboot the server. This allows pre-win2000 and foreign clients to access the server. If you ever branch out to Linux you need to know this if you want the smbclient to be able to connect to your server.

And also, for ease of things if you're not running a domain with DNS you may want to create a hosts file so you don't have to remember all your IP addresses.

start > Run > enter: %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS (open with notepad)

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 BSDCSQL01
192.168.1.2 XPLaptop
192.168.1.3 ComTrash
192.168.1.4 DotNetDev
192.168.1.5 XBOX
192.168.1.6 TIVO
192.168.1.7 BSFSWEB01
192.168.1.254 router

Now you can access these machines without having to rember IPs (this output is from my domain)

C:\>ping Tivo

Pinging Tivo.killersoft.com [192.168.1.6] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.6: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.6: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.6:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 6ms, Average = 3ms

Hope This Helps,
T$

Post your feedback and we'll resolve it for you

GOT IT!!! Listening to some streaming Killers right now...Jenny is indeed a friend of mine!

I decided to just directly connect my computer to my router instead of going wirelessly. My idea is that SMB *was* working, but was timing out. I was right FPRIVATE "TYPE=PICT;ALT=smile.gif" .

What finally got it to work was the following XML code

<bookmark>
<name>SMB Network Share</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.1/Music/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>WORKGROUP (SMB) Network</name>
<path>smb://josh</path>
</bookmark>

Directly connected.

You guys that helped me, I am grateful. It was very very kind of you.

I apologize about the *killersoft*, that's my domain name. I should have clarified that it was un-necessary for you to use.

Glad you got it working... I'm going to be modding my first v1.6 this weekend so I'm sure I'll be on here asking for help myself.

Be sure to contribute in the future when you see posts from newbies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users