Photo

Error 16 Or Error 06....what's Going On Here?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

Ok, I just modded a 1.6 box, doing an LPC rebuild from underneath. Flashed the m8_16 bios to my chip. I installed the new 200 gb hdd and tried to boot from my Ava Netprep cd. It wouldn't boot. So I put the new HDD in MY xbox and ran Ava Netprep. Then I copied over the 5960 MS Dash files, as well as the Avalaunch dashboard files. (I edited my m8_16 bios boot order to look for avalaunch.xbe first - after the dvd drive of course!) Put the newly prepped drive in the 1.6 and I get error 16 repeatedly. According to Superfro's guide, this is a specific dashboard error. It should be booting to avalaunch. So, then I remove the modchip and put the stock HDD back in, and when I try to boot up, I repeatedly get error 06 (cannot unlock HDD). I took the stock HDD out of the xbox when I began the mod and haven't touched it since, so it's not unlocked already. It hasn't been hotswapped or anything like that. I'm not sure what to do now as I can't boot from a CD, from the new HDD, or the Stock HDD. Worst of all, I have not idea why I am getting these errors. I tried rebuilding the new HDD with Slayer's 2.6 but still get the same results. Can someone please help me here? I don't know what to do next. Any help to get this thing up and running is extremely appreciated.

#2 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:50 PM

Come on guys, somebody has to have a suggestion. What could be causing this problem?

#3 TKramka

TKramka

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Computer Technology, Xbox Hardware and Modding
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:54 PM

Error 16 means it can't set the time.

#4 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

Ok, how would I go about fixing the time. I thought it was something to do with the system clock! What can I do to get the system clock set correctly so I can boot to something?

#5 MrOnline

MrOnline

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:36 PM

use the stock HD

#6 MrOnline

MrOnline

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

use the stock HD install it in another xbox, lock it.. boot up... so time is sat... unlock and install in

#7 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:05 PM

Ok, I tried putting the stock HDD in my Xbox, but as I said, I did nothing to unlock it before, so It must still be locked because the X2 bios still gives me error 6 on my Xbox. So, I put the Slayer's prepped HDD in my Xbox booted up to EvoX, launched the MS Dash, and set date and time. Then I put the HDD back in the 1.6 box and try to boot and I still get the same errors! What can I try now?

#8 MrOnline

MrOnline

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:18 PM

error 6 is that the drive is locked and cant be unlocked...

you sure it's locked in the Xbox ur trying to use it in ???

#9 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:46 PM

Yep, the box had never been opened before and I took the seagate HDD out when I began the mod. And I don't have any other stock HDD's laying around here. I can't figure out why it won't boot. I don't see how the drive can be in an unlocked state if I never did anything to unlock it, AND if it was unlocked, I should be able to boot to it with the M8 16 bios on. I have NEVER had a problem such as this before and I really don't know what to do. The Xbox is my buddies brother-in-laws, so I'm hoping he backed up his gamesaves on a memory card. I just don't understand why I can't boot up from the unlocked 200 gig HDD. I've had 9 perfectly successful mods, 3 of them being 1.6 xboxes (although I hate them with a passion). I just don't know what to do with this thing now. I put over 24 hours of work into messing with this thing. Hopefully I get it working, and I'll never mod a 1.6 box again. It just stresses me out too bad.

#10 MrOnline

MrOnline

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:50 PM

Ok getting started I will be calling the broken Xbox
Xbox 1 and the working xbox Xbox 2,
First you need to open both xboxes. After you get them
apart take the hard drive out of Xbox 1 (the broken
one remember) and place it upside down on the Xbox 2's
dvd rom drive. Next unplug the power cable going to
Xbox 2's hard drive. Then take your Y-Splitter and
connect it to both xbox hard drives and power cable
you unpluged. Now plug your power and AV cables into
the xbox and boot it without a game in. When you get
to the Menu go into your music and play a song for
about 5 secs (or the whole song it is up to you).
After that back all the way back to your menu and
unplug the IDE cable (NOT the power cable) from your
hard drive and plug it into your Xbox 1's hard drive
and try to go into a menu. It will freeze on you but
this is ok. Wait until it gives you the Error Code 21.
When Error Code 21 comes up power off the xbox, unplug
the Xbox 1's hard drive and put it back into Xbox 1.
Reconnect all the cable to Xbox 1's hard drive and
boot it. It should boot fine. Now power off and put
both Xboxes back together.

taken of http://www.llamma.co...x/Repairs/6.htm

#11 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:12 AM

Thanks so much for helping me with this! I'll give that a try and see what happens, and post my results.

#12 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:55 AM

No such luck, the drive must be locked still because when I get to the step where I'm supposed to connect the Xbox 1 HDD to the IDE cable and then try to choose a menu item, the xbox just stays frozen at the menu and I never get error 21. I don't know what's up with this thing, but I don't think the HDD is the problem now. What else could cause this? It happens even when I try to boot to a newly prepped HDD with a hacked bios that doesn't require the HDD to be locked.

#13 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:49 AM

Ok, I tried this guide too:

http://forums.xbox-s...=ST&f=3&t=53268

I still get error 16 booting from m8 16 with an unlocked upgraded HDD. I made sure my clock settings were good, and then stuck my HDD in the 1.6 xbox and tried to boot up. STILL ERROR 16! I need to get this thing resurrected, and I don't understand why I can't do it with the stock HDD. I don't know why it says it can't unlock the stock HDD.

#14 jakman85

jakman85

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(hogfan @ Apr 8 2005, 12:55 AM)
Ok, I tried this guide too:

http://forums.xbox-s...=ST&f=3&t=53268

I still get error 16 booting from m8 16 with an unlocked upgraded HDD.  I made sure my clock settings were good, and then stuck my HDD in the 1.6 xbox and tried to boot up.  STILL ERROR 16!  I need to get this thing resurrected, and I don't understand why I can't do it with the stock HDD.  I don't know why it says it can't unlock the stock HDD.

View Post

have you tried the M8plus_16 bios? you might have a 1.6b xbox!

#15 hogfan

hogfan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:21 PM

It should be a 1.6, it has the samsung ram. 1.6b xbox has hynix ram. And like I said, the retail bios gives the same errors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users