• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blackfly1976

Blackfly1976

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:1.1 motherboard<br />110/240V input PSU<br />Philips VAD6011/21(POS) DVDROM<br />smartXX mod<br />Avalaunch 0.49.3<br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:20 AM

Can Philips VAD6011/21(POS) mfg date 2002 be flashed with the firmware of the newer Philips drive, and would this give better media compatability?
The Pot tweak worked for CDR and CDRW (my drive can play all "well burned" quality media), but DVDRW's are causing random lock-ups/long seeks (no DDE though?).
The idea came to me as I updated my DVDRW drive with better firmware for increased media write compatability.

Could someone please confirm whether I'm right or wrong on the idea that media compatability is a firmware issue?
-eg meaning that a Samsung SDG-605a could be flashed to a SDG-605G
If the xbox drive firmware can be put onto a PC DVDROM (616t & 616f flashed with 605b for xbox use) I would expect that one xbox drive can be flashed with anothers firmware - although I'm not suggesting someone flash their Thompson with Samsung firmware.

Lastly, has anyone tested any DualLayer discs with xbox drives?
I should think all of them are DVD9 compatible because pressed glass masters can be dual layer, but my Philips VAD6011/21 says "DVD5x16" on top - I would take this to mean DVD5 (4.5GB Single Layer) 16x speed.

#2 TKramka

TKramka

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Interests:Computer Technology, Xbox Hardware and Modding
  • 360 version:none

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:10 PM

No, the philps VAD6011 can NOT be flashed with the firmware from a VAD6035. The drives are as different as night and day and you would most definatly fry the drive, aside from the fact that no one has downloaded the 6035 firmware yet (to my knowledge). The inner workings of the drive are so different that bad things would most certainly happen. As for the random lockups, you might just need to tweak it a tad more or less, depending on how much you tweaked it before.

#3 Blackfly1976

Blackfly1976

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:1.1 motherboard<br />110/240V input PSU<br />Philips VAD6011/21(POS) DVDROM<br />smartXX mod<br />Avalaunch 0.49.3<br />

Posted 10 April 2005 - 11:42 PM

Ok, thanks for the warning.
Are there only the two drives from Philips, and would a drive of the same model number with a later mfg date perhaps have firmware on it that would benefit an older drive?
The firmware file I have (bin) is dated April 9th 2003, how would I tell what version it was from. I obtained this file from "the usual source", so I think it can be trusted.
I'm just wondering why exactly the philips firmware file would be made available, is there are PC drive it can be flashed to perhaps (not found any info in this regard).
How about any thoughts on the DualLayer dics compatability, anyone tested anything?

In regards to the media issues my box is having, perhaps I should mention that I'm burning as UDF in Nero (latest, and with XBox compatability box ticked).
I'd also like to point out before anyone gets into it, that I'm NOT pirating software. The whole reason I have a modded box here in Scotland is because my main xbox is in FL and I use US NTSC games - I'd like to make backups of my collection to leave here and take my originals back to FL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users