• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 azwethinkweis

azwethinkweis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:00 PM

My Xbox has a problem, so I'm trying to gather information on it. Please contribute RELAVENT information only... Here is the problem:

1. Xbox starts and i get the flubber screen (bios starts and unlocks hd)
2. Xbox gets to the XBOX logo screen with giant X (pre-dashload)
3. When there is a game disk in it tries to read from the rom drive. (longer than usual)
4. It fails and drops to the error code 21 screen without booting the dashboard.

So, fyi:
It won't boot games or any disks whatsoever.
The dashboard never comes up.
I am a noob to modding, but get the general jist of it...
I don't need the definition of an error 21 code (not a total n00bi3...)
Don't treat me like a total noob and all help is appreciated AS long as its relavent!

#2 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

You could try searching...

Or not try and sound like such and ass and maybe people would help you.

Maybe even try including some relevent information like type of mod, and what exactly you have done to it.

#3 cmiz

cmiz

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:15 PM

if you know about error 21's you should know that they're the most nondescript error you can get. what did you do to it before it stopped working, was it stock or modded? what kind of mod? etc...

#4 BigDaddyShoo

BigDaddyShoo

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:19 PM

first off, try booting with the dvd drive unplugged and see if it gives you an error 11 rather than 21. if it does, then you know your hd/mobo is good. try a different dvd drive or a new IDE cable

next try booting with the HD unplugged and see it it gives you an error 8 rather than 21. if it does, then you know you're dvd & mobo are good. try hot-swapping a different HD if this is the case

also try using a different IDE cable too.

if you get an error 21 after trying all of these, then you definitely know it's a bad mobo at which point it could be ANYTHING.

#5 azwethinkweis

azwethinkweis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info BigDaddy. And I will post back with mor nfo. I will add more nfo for you too, cmiz.

[for Winchy]It's people like you Winchy that piss me off. Lay off man. Don't jump on me if you don't have to. If you have information to share, please do. Don't insult me and yourself with your rudeness. This is in the noobie section for a reason, so just lay off...[/for Winchy]

Edited by azwethinkweis, 13 April 2005 - 06:35 PM.

#6 azwethinkweis

azwethinkweis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

More info on the error:

.error 12 when DVD drive unplugged
.error 9 when hdd unplugged
.And it is not the ide cable (swapped it out)
.I have been able to hotswap the drive onto my pc, but I didn't have any proggies to read whats on the drive (except for hdd driver and hdd fatxplorer, but i couldn't read the image created (probably because my computer was too slow(~600mhz)or because it was bad, I haven't been able to find out which. If you know of any other good progs that work with hotswapping, please say them. In the meantime I will do more reasearch...))

Edited by azwethinkweis, 13 April 2005 - 06:45 PM.

#7 modbox_

modbox_

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, from softmods to tsop flashes. I also enjoy reading.<br /><br />Now modding 360's!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:45 PM

Is your xbox chipped/modded at all?

#8 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(azwethinkweis @ Apr 13 2005, 05:06 PM)
Please contribute RELAVENT information only...

Sorry tongue.gif It's just you seemed to know quite a bit but did not include much relavent information.

You did state your a noob though, i appoligise.

Don't wana make enemies ere beerchug.gif

#9 azwethinkweis

azwethinkweis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:48 PM

the box is not modded and if it really matters, I am using it on a really old tv (c. 1975). It has high static and might have corrupted some data. The box was working one night when I took it apart (I tested it) and the next day, it didn't work once I put it all back together. I don't know if it has been staticafied, but it doesn't seem the mobo is dead cause of what BigDaddy said... or at least I hope...

[edit to Winchy]Thanks for the apology, and I apologise too. I reacted very harshly, and I should be more careful on what I say. Yes, I don't want to make enemies. I know how it feels to confront total noobs that don't want to learn, just wanna fix. I actually am a bit glad my xbox is busted so I can see how it ticks smile.gif. Thanks again man.[/edit to Winchy]

Edited by azwethinkweis, 13 April 2005 - 06:51 PM.

#10 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Haha cool then biggrin.gif

I don't like noobs that just try to mod their xbox so they can play pirate games and don't even care about learning anything or doing anything themselves. Just want a step by step guide.

I praise you, you sound like you've read up on the subject biggrin.gif
So many people come here and don't have a clue and just want to know how to chip their xbox with no knowledge at all.

I'll have a look around for ya beerchug.gif

#11 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:15 PM

This is a MS Dashboard error. It means that one of the Dashboard files got corupted or over writen or the xbe got retaged with a program.

Simple correction would be to reinstall msdash from a slayers install cd.

Complex fix would be to examine your backup files for dates and sizes and find the correct file that was changed if a file was changed and recopy it back over.

But I think if it was something this simple then somebody would have said this?

So it's probably wrong.

#12 MysticalJet

MysticalJet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

sounds like your Dashboard might have gotten corrupted somehow. I think you may need to mod so you can reinstall the dash.

Plus your DVD drive might not be working anymore. You could swap out DVD rive, see if you can load a game - use a game that has a dash upgrade, like Halo2 - see if it will update the dash and fix the prob.

To sum up - could be a combo bad DVD drive/corrupt dash ... maybe

Edited by MysticalJet, 13 April 2005 - 07:20 PM.

#13 MysticalJet

MysticalJet

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(Winchy @ Apr 13 2005, 01:21 PM)
But I think if it was something this simple then somebody would have said this?

So it's probably wrong.

View Post

He cant use slayers because his box is not modded, plus his DVD is not loading.

#14 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

I think I got this error when I installed Slayers on a soft mod. I put the drve in my chipped xbox to fix it I believe.

You might have to buy a chip then?

#15 azwethinkweis

azwethinkweis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

It seems I have a few approaches to this.

1. See if buying a new DVD-rom will work. It seems likely that this could be the problem becuase most people with an error code of 21 can load games, but since I cannot, I may have a bad DVD rom also. Makes sense.

2. Buy a modchip and load my dashboard back on there. But my dvd rom could still be a problem...

3. Examine my HDD through a hotswap (will try this first because this is something I can do right now) and examine it's insides to make sure nothing is corrupted... Only problem is I need a prog that can view my hdd. I think I have a new quest to go on smile.gif

Keep posting. New opinions are needed and this is coming together! So far we have 3 potential solutions. Let's keep em coming. Personal thanks (so far) to: Winchy (still sorry)
MysticalJet (nice input)
and BigDaddy (for getting this pointed in a good direction)

Keep on posting!!! love.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users