73 replies to this topic

#1 linflas

linflas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:54 AM

I just got Jade empire and have backed up to hard drive, however I like to have a hard backup as well, because friends always borrow the original. The bonus disc is well within dvd5 so no problem, but the game disk will only fit on DVD9. I was wondering what media and what settings I should be using to burn this image. I have 2 xboxes one with old Samsung drive and one with new samsung drive. I tried just burning the image to maxell media, however both dvd drives did not recognize it. The media looks to be burned just around the inside, it did not burn a full layer and then go back, just burned two layers of equal length on top of each other. I am not sure if that matters, just trying to give all the info I can.

#2 JohnnyTsunamiq

JohnnyTsunamiq

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Bombarding people with endless questions.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:20 AM

Does your x-box seem to be reading the retail disk fine? I hear that some of the crappier DVD readers have a hard time with the new format.

I can't wait to buy this game.

#3 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(linflas @ Apr 13 2005, 06:00 AM)
I just got Jade empire and have backed up to hard drive, however I like to have a hard backup as well, because friends always borrow the original.  The bonus disc is well within dvd5 so no problem, but the game disk will only fit on DVD9.  I was wondering what media and what settings I should be using to burn this image.  I have 2 xboxes one with old Samsung drive and one with new samsung drive.  I tried just burning the image to maxell media, however both dvd drives did not recognize it.  The media looks to be burned just around the inside, it did not burn a full layer and then go back, just burned two layers of equal length on top of each other.  I am not sure if that matters, just trying to give all the info I can.

View Post

If you plan on playing this on a Sammy then make absolutely sure that you set the booktype to DVD-ROM or that the burner automatically does it for you. Sammys won't read +R unless you change the booktype. BTW which burner and firmware do you have?

#4 Strange_Condition

Strange_Condition

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

I have the same question as linflas. I have a pioneer dvr 109 flashed with the A09 1.40 firmware.

#5 BEVEL

BEVEL

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

I have a Pioneer 108 with Piodata firmware on it (it changes the booktype to DVD-ROM)

I burned a game last night on a DVD-9 disk and it still wont run on either a Thompson and the Samsung drive.

Can anyone recommend a brand to burn DVD-9 that I can burn on DVD-rom and run on either Samsung or Thompson drives ???

#6 linflas

linflas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

I have a Lite-On SOHW-1673s and a Sony DRU-530a, most updated factory firmware in both. When you say change the booktype, which program does that? I just looked in nero and could not find that setting.

#7 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(Strange_Condition @ Apr 13 2005, 09:14 AM)
I have the same question as linflas. I have a pioneer dvr 109 flashed with the A09 1.40 firmware.

View Post

The Pioneer 109 with the V1.40 will automatically set the booktype to DVD-ROM on D/L DVD+R discs for you. So no need to manually adjust anything. It won't do it for the single layer discs though. You can get the buffalo firmware if you really want to do it. I don't really see much point though with quality DVD-R being so cheap. wink.gif

#8 BEVEL

BEVEL

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Actually,
with my pioneed i needed to put the piodata firmware on it in order to burn all disks to DVD-rom.
I dont think it is an option on your burning program (not sure for other writers, im only sure for pioneer)

try looking for the firmware for your drive

#9 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(BEVEL @ Apr 13 2005, 11:36 AM)
I have a Pioneer 108 with Piodata firmware on it (it changes the booktype to DVD-ROM)

I burned a game last night on a DVD-9 disk and it still wont run on either a Thompson and the Samsung drive.

Can anyone recommend a brand to burn DVD-9 that I can burn on DVD-rom and run on either Samsung or Thompson drives ???

View Post

Does it change the booktype on double layer discs as well? Or is it just single layer DVD+R? Anyways, what D/L media did you use and what process did you use to back it up (list programs). Also what bios are you using?

#10 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(linflas @ Apr 13 2005, 04:59 PM)
I have a Lite-On SOHW-1673s and a Sony DRU-530a, most updated factory firmware in both.  When you say change the booktype, which program does that? I just looked in nero and could not find that setting.

View Post

It's easy to find in DVD Decrypter. When you open the program, select the "tools" option. Then select the "drive" option. When you get the drive sub-menu, you should see an option that says "Change the booktype" down towards the bottom. You should see a tab in there specifically for Lite-On burners (you do know that your Sony is just a re-badged Lite-On, right?). Anyways, you may need a firmware update to have your drive support that. Check out rpc1.org for a firmware update. All sorts of updates there for Lite-On burners. http://www.dvddecrypter.com

Edited by jesterrace777, 13 April 2005 - 08:16 PM.

#11 shadow23

shadow23

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE(BEVEL @ Apr 14 2005, 04:09 AM)
Actually,
with my pioneed i needed to put the piodata firmware on it in order to burn all disks to DVD-rom.
I dont think it is an option on your burning program (not sure for other writers, im only sure for pioneer)

try looking for the firmware for your drive

View Post

Well I don't know where you got your Pioneer from but I have a Pioneer 108 and the only firmware I use on it is the official Pioneer firmware. And the firmware that came with it automatically changes the booktype to DVD-ROM on +DL media. So I hope you're talking about changing the booktype on +R and +RW.

#12 Strange_Condition

Strange_Condition

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:31 PM

cheers mate smile.gif I'm always using Ritek single layer media so I guess I'm in the clear then smile.gif

#13 linflas

linflas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

Jess,

No I had no idea my sony was a lite on, thanks for the heads up, ok I will get hold of dvd decrypter and give it a go. Will check that website for firmware. Thank you, will keep you appraised to my progress. Thanks again

#14 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:35 AM

Yup, I believe the 530 was the first model that Sony started outsourcing to Lite-On for. Every burner since then has been a rebadged Lite-On. You will need to check in and see which Lite-On model that the 530 is. It will probably help you out to go with the Lite-On firmware since there are so many more options for it than the Sony firmware.

#15 linflas

linflas

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:37 AM

Jester:

I did all the settings you said, and still made a $6 coaster, both xbox drives said it was unknown. Frustrated a bit, but I appreciate the attempt. Not sure what to do now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users