39 replies to this topic

#1 price_is_wrong

price_is_wrong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

With the sudden release of a bunch of games that are over the standard DVD size, I am attempting to backup to DL media. I got the burner (Sony) and I got the media (Verbatim), I may even have the software ( Nero 6.3.1 ). I'm not sure what comes next though. Any uper geeks on here have a clue? Help will be appreciated.

I know I can make a data backup of the files, but I would like it to playable as well if thats possible.

#2 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:14 PM

First of all, you have an overpriced re-badged Lite-On burner (That's what all Sonys are now-a-days). Anyways, yes it is possible to backup to DVD9 (D/L DVDR). Make sure you have a burner that can adjust the booktype and set it to DVD-ROM. Also for burning ISOs, I would actually use DVD Decrypter.

#3 price_is_wrong

price_is_wrong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Apr 16 2005, 05:20 PM)
First of all, you have an overpriced re-badged Lite-On burner (That's what all Sonys are now-a-days). 

ummm.. okay blink.gif

Anyways, yes it is possible to backup to DVD9 (D/L DVDR).  Make sure you have a burner that can adjust the booktype and set it to DVD-ROM.

Is this a firmware, or software setting? I don't believe I've seen this before.

#4 crustyteacup

crustyteacup

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 April 2005 - 06:39 PM

it can be both, some firmwares apply booktype setting automatically, other burners have a software program to change it on a per disc basis. check the sony site to see of theres a program or a newer firmware that supports changing the booktype setting.

#5 price_is_wrong

price_is_wrong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

This is for a follow-up for anyone else looking.

I have the Sony DRU-700A. My firmware version is VY03. I found an article that stated upgrading to VY05 removed the ability to change your Booktype, so I assume that means I can change my booktype now.

I downloaded the latest version of DVD Decrypter (why not, it's free). The I selected Tools> Drive> Change Book Type.. I clicked on the Lite-On tab because I didn't see one for Sony, which is probably why the other referred to it as an over-priced Lite-On. I thought he was just being jealous. tongue.gif

In the "Change For.." drop down box, I selected "Drive( for DVD+R/ +R DL Media)", then under "New Setting", changed it to DVD-ROM.

The next DL disk I burned worked like a champ. FYI, I burned an XBOX ISO using DVD Decrypter. I wish my PC would read the disk as well, but at least the XBOX recognizes my DL media now. If someone else in here already knows how to do this, could you let me know? It would save me some work, not to mention the dollars on DL media.

#6 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:01 PM

I referred to the Sony as an Over-Priced Lite-On because that is exactly what it is. I certainly don't have any love for the Lite-On DVD Burners either since they are usually very fussy with media. I also pointed it out because it's alot easier to find good firmware updates for the Lite-On than it is from Sony (even though it is the same burner).

#7 majesticjester

majesticjester

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:22 PM

what software do you use to create the back up?
and in dvd decrypter did you just leave it on default settings?

thx

#8 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(majesticjester @ Apr 18 2005, 07:28 PM)

thx

View Post

He already mentioned that he adjusted the booktype setting in DVD Decrypter. rolleyes.gif

#9 cyberbob

cyberbob

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

First of all, you have an overpriced re-badged Lite-On burner (That's what all Sonys are now-a-days).  Anyways, yes it is possible to backup to DVD9 (D/L DVDR).  Make sure you have a burner that can adjust the booktype and set it to DVD-ROM.  Also for burning ISOs, I would actually use DVD Decrypter.

View Post

Dude you just saved my ass... that worked great on my setup..... I was starting to think I tossed big $$ for DL's for nothing.... changed the booktype, and everything was great... thanks again man... much appreciated.

#10 price_is_wrong

price_is_wrong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(majesticjester @ Apr 18 2005, 07:28 PM)

thx

View Post

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting a link, but...
http://www.teamavalaunch.com/qwix/

I use QWIX to make my xbox iso images, rip xbox iso images, and a multitude of other stuff. Very useful app. I am, of course, assuming thats what you meant. Glad my follow-up was helpful.

Jesterrace777, thanks for getting me on the right track.

I'd still like to burn a disk and be able to read it on my PC, as well as my xbox though. Any thoughts on that??

#11 price_is_wrong

price_is_wrong

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:14 PM

Once Again, I'd like to think jesterrace777 for getting me on the right track.

I have successfully backed up to DVD+R DL Media, and I am able to read the disk on both PC and my XBOX.

Instead of using Qwix to make an Xbox iso, I used Nero to make a UDF ISO Image, then used DVD Decrypter to burn the disk. I will not go over DVD Decrypter again, as I feel I did an okay job of that already. But here is what I did in Nero.

My Nero version is 6.3.1.10 Sony Edition, because I got it for free with my burner. Launch App, then the New Compilation Wizard. Select "DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)".

On th UDF Tab, I made sure there was a check in the box for the compatability mode.

On the ISO Tab, select ISO Level 2 from the first drop down box.ISO 9660 for the character set. I also leave the Joliet box unchecked. You can name the disk whatever you want and click burn.

This is open for critism. I'm not an uber geek like some others in here, so I'm sure they will correct my mistakes and add if needed. wink.gif
I'm cool with that, and will even look forward to it. cool.gif

#12 InvincibleAsia

InvincibleAsia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:FFXI.<br /><br />Asiamise on Quetzalcoatl server.

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

Ill have to try this Nero method.
I tried the Booktype switch method with DVD decrypter, the disc loads, but goes to the
"dirty disc" message pretty quick sad.gif

#13 majesticjester

majesticjester

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

tried the qwix/dvd decrypter method and get a dde near the start of the game

tried the nero method, xbox will see the disk as a game but it takes along time to get it to get that far, when i press play it dont go anywhere (seems to have trouble reading disk)

the booktype is set to dvd-rom
DL burner is a benq 1620

maybe it the media i'm using (memorex on a samsung xbox drive) so i guess the next thing for me to try is differnet media

note: the qwix method seem to load in really fast only trouble is the dde:(

#14 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(majesticjester @ Apr 19 2005, 03:33 PM)
tried the qwix/dvd decrypter method and get a dde near the start of the game

tried the nero method, xbox will see the disk as a game but it takes along time to get it to get that far, when i press play it dont go anywhere (seems to have trouble reading disk)

the booktype is set to dvd-rom
DL burner is a benq 1620

maybe it the media i'm using (memorex on a samsung xbox drive) so i guess the next thing for me to try is differnet media

note: the qwix method seem to load in really fast only trouble is the dde:(

View Post

Memorex usually outsources to Ritek FOR THIER D/L MEDIA. Ritek isn't the greatest for D/L. IMHO I would go straight with Mitsubishi Chemicals media (Verbatim) as it doesn't get any better.

#15 NightL1fe

NightL1fe

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

BUMP for a useful thread.. had to search through 6 pages for this..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users