• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mswanson00

mswanson00

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

I've been looking around for awhile and trying to find somewhere that has someone who has a xbox in their car and have a touchscreen hooked up to it. If the xbox can run Windows 98SE wouldn't it be able to handle Touch screen drivers? That way, instead of going all out and buying a mini-pc to do GPS/Movies/Music..ect the xbox could easily replace that need? Just trying to find some info.

#2 david_129

david_129

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Modified: PC's, XBOX's, Cars, Women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:36 AM

i've seen someone do this in an audi, he had the evoX menu up somehow, don't ask me how or who, all i know is it can be done! sure someone else on here might know

-David

#3 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 April 2005 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE(mswanson00 @ Apr 21 2005, 08:27 AM)
I've been looking around for awhile and trying to find somewhere that has someone who has a xbox in their car and have a touchscreen hooked up to it.  If the xbox can run Windows 98SE wouldn't it be able to handle Touch screen drivers?  That way, instead of going all out and buying a mini-pc to do GPS/Movies/Music..ect the xbox could easily replace that need?  Just trying to find some info.

View Post

These links may be relevant:

Media Center Bathroom Extender.
XBOX and Linux in car.

Also, you could consider using the XBOX DVD remote control instead of a touch screen - simply use a modified USB cable extension to separate the IR sensor from the XBOX console (XBOX in boot, sensor on car dashboard)

Edited by PedrosPad, 22 April 2005 - 05:18 PM.

#4 cox377

cox377

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

I was actually discussing this with a mate who does chipping the other day. I've got myself and so has my mom. But I want to get one to my car, maybe even put a wireless connection onto it so park outside the house and just connect to it over wireless. But I would want to use a touch screen in the dash, completely eliminate the need for any controllers.

I will defiantly be keeping my eye on this one

coxy

#5 zero_divide_1

zero_divide_1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:09 PM

Why don't you mod, lets say, the IR remote into, say, the steering wheel so that you can move through menus and press stop and play, etc using buttons modded into your wheel (or dash if you don't want it that way) like a normal radio, and have another controller in case you want to play games (when you're not driving, of course! biggrin.gif ). I've been thinking about this topic for some time (coming up with the money and the time and resources to mod my Scion xA has prevented me from going forward on the project) and that seems like the best option. You could even use XBMC instead of a linux solution! The touch screen would be nice, no doubt, but unless you opt to use linux and find a usb touch screen with linux drivers, you're pretty left with using your creativity and finding some other solution.

#6 celinedrules

celinedrules

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:49 AM

I believe that touchscreens use drivers like a mouse would.

#7 boil_galpin

boil_galpin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:59 PM

smile.gif this is what you can do. XBMC Supports usb mice control and touch screen adapters run off the same drivers as the mice do. it is possible to buy satndalone headunits the have fold out minitiors that you can plug into the xbox using a usb adapter, you then need to find a skin for xbmc that suits your needs for configuring the menus, the only problem i found with this is to play games your need to swap the usb touch screen for a controller..

head unit <----------------------------------------------------- vidoe out from xbox
-------> usb connector ------->usb adapter ---> xbox

i hope this solves your problems

please contact me for more info
bigheadmadeofpotato@hotmail.com

#8 morgan06

morgan06

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:18 PM

alot of vga lcd screens used in vehicles only use maybe 253 vert pixels, not enough to clearly display a windows font. xenarc makes a nice screen- but it will set you back 300+ but allows multiple resolutions id est a computer monitor. now those screens that only use 253 vertical will display video quite well- and might work for an xbox dash, but i havent tried that yet. i know when i built my carputer and hooked it to my kenwood ddx7015 touchscreen that the pixel count could not display winamp clearly, but it was enough to squint and struggle to read- still not ideal for driving and controlling. now the kenwood in dash does mp3, dvd, and is a touchscreen but the computer needs a serial interface with the headunit to allow control through fingertips. the only solutions i found were a trackball/laptop pad or a touchscreen overlay. unsure of any manufacturer names but im sure a google could set you straight.

mp3car.com

#9 CharredChar

CharredChar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

Ive been compiling a way to get a computer in a car for cheap and easy for the last couple years. The biggest problem is the screen.. unless you want to pay more then $200, you wont get anything too great. Pyle does make a decent 7 inch in dash screen, but not for computer detail. I never actually thought till today about using a XBox... Though XBMC could handle pretty much everything.. GPS is the only thing it wouldnt have without installing Linux.. then you still have the whole screen detail issue. Im going to go now to look for a way to incorperate GPS, but you are best off using XBMC for everything, since the fonts and all SHOULD be good enough for a small LCD.

For control issues.. the remote would be a good way to semlessly intagrate it. I just had an idea of cutting a area into the car dash to put the control in itself. Also most car stereos use small remotes anyway now. The other easy way to do it is just either buy a wireless logitech controller or run a wire extention, say to the center console that holds the controller. That way you can still use it for other things like games and so on.

#10 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(CharredChar @ Aug 23 2005, 07:26 AM)
The other easy way to do it is just either buy a wireless logitech controller or run a wire extention, say to the center console that holds the controller. That way you can still use it for other things like games and so on.

View Post

While driving uhh.gif Cripes.

smile.gif

#11 chedabob

chedabob

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:33 AM

how about a python script for gps? might work, or you could try and intergrate some form of usb gps communication into xbmc. both should work.

#12 CharredChar

CharredChar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE(PedrosPad @ Aug 23 2005, 10:04 AM)
While driving uhh.gif Cripes.

smile.gif

View Post

lol I didnt say play games while driving, did I. =p And if you make a mount for a controller just right.. you can easily just pull it out and select a album at a stoplight or something. Though the remote would be easier for skipping songs and such.

QUOTE(chedabob @ Aug 23 2005, 11:44 AM)
how about a python script for gps? might work, or you could try and intergrate some form of usb gps communication into xbmc. both should work.

View Post

Python Script for GPS? As for intagrating the USB GPS Devices.. they all use huge mapping programs, so I dont see how you could run that on a XBox without a OS.

#13 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(CharredChar @ Aug 24 2005, 09:33 AM)
Python Script for GPS? As for intagrating the USB GPS Devices.. they all use huge mapping programs, so I dont see how you could run that on a XBox without a OS.

View Post

Heck, they've got GPS running on a Nintendo DS tongue.gif - see here. smile.gif

#14 CharredChar

CharredChar

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:50 AM

Got any links to GPS that runs on XBox? Can easily get a USB GPS device in a store, so thats not a big deal. But if there is a way to get it to work on XBox, wow screw building a carputer.

lol This topic has peaked my entrest now that Im trying to buy a car, I can do this easier.

#15 DrErling

DrErling

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:16 PM

Any news on the topic of this thread?

Connecting a 7" or 8" usb-touchscreen to my xbox for navigating the XBMC is something I`ve thought of alot lately. So... is it possible?

DrErling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users