Photo

Solder Vs. Non Solder Mod Chip Question.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dsenart

dsenart

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

I am about to purchase the X-ecuter 3 mod chip and I see that it has a solderless option. I had a few questions about these options.

Is there any difference in perfomance if you hook it in non solderless?

Are there problems with the non solder mod chip coming "loose" if you move your xbox around

I have never soldered and I can't see paying someone to solder on in, I have an iron and have been practicing but if the non solder option is just as good I might pay an extra bit for that.

#2 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:55 PM

Pros of solderless;

1. should not damage the board when installed carefully
2. easy to swap into a different xbox
3. do not have to have solder equipment and know how to use it.

Cons of solderless;

1. must have good contacts, always.
2. can become loose with contant bumping from moving
3. can have slight connection errors which you must take apart the xbox each time to correct.

#3 MN-Mod-Man

MN-Mod-Man

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(dsenart @ Apr 27 2005, 06:33 AM)
I am about to purchase the X-ecuter 3 mod chip and I see that it has a solderless option. I had a few questions about these options.

Is there any difference in perfomance if you hook it in non solderless? 

Are there problems with the non solder mod chip coming "loose" if you move your xbox around

I have never soldered and I can't see paying someone to solder on in, I have an iron and have been practicing but if the non solder option is just as good I might pay an extra bit for that.

View Post

Well since you can't see PAYING someone to solder your chip in, can you see yourself BUYING a NEW XBOX if and when you FUCK IT UP?
Don't be Stupid...if you've NEVER soldered the XBOX is not the 1st place to learn. dry.gif

#4 dsenart

dsenart

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

well see i have a complete extended warranty from where i bought my xbox and it covers everything. All i have to do is rebox it up and take it back for another if i "fuck it up" plus i have been practicing on some dead pc boards i just dont know if im doing it right..

#5 MN-Mod-Man

MN-Mod-Man

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:49 PM

Good Luck then, most warranties are null and void once you break the seal and open the case but good luck on that one to. huh.gif

#6 kezor

kezor

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=306001

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

no i think he means warranty if anything comes loose in the xbox if they solder it in

#7 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:14 PM

The solderless adapter for the X3 is great. It provides a really good connection and is pretty tough to shake loose. Unless you plan on moving your xbox alot I would recommend the solderless adapter.

#8 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

well see i have a complete extended warranty from where i bought my xbox and it covers everything. All i have to do is rebox it up and take it back for another if i "fuck it up"

I should check out the small print of that warranty. If you break the seal and stuff up the board with a soldering iron I doubt it will be covered.

#9 dsenart

dsenart

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

i got it from a local game store and the manager of the store is a friend of mine, he has modded his too, so im not to worried about them not taking it back

#10 Code-Runner

Code-Runner

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:30 PM

If you are not sure then I would start with a solderless. Soldering a xbox is easy as long as you are patient, it is nothing like working on a PS2, heck, I can solder a xbox with a $5 walmart soldering iron and some plumbing solder (but i wouldn't, I still like my stations wink.gif ).

There are a few keys to soldering and that is to not overheat the area, make sure the area is clean, give yourself lots of time and have good lighting with a magnifying device and multimeter.

The biggest problem I get brought to me is ppl that overheat and try to destroy their board with pulled and burnt leads or lost components (Bad for them but good for me). Just remember that rebuilding is a lot longer than doing it right the first time.

Check over diagrams many times and be certain of what you are going to do, look at the leads on both sides of the motherboard before starting to solder to see what can go wrong it you overheat, do not use too much solder for you want to bond the component and not create a new one.

When you decide on a chip then look into all the pros and cons of it, if this is the options you want or can you use something simpler, do you want a single bios or multi bios, are you transporting the box or does it stay in one place.

When you are ready to solder then grab an old circuit board and practise, try removing and switching components, move around resistors and then learn how to test for resistance with your multimeter.

The reason ppl hire others to do the soldering is because they have other things to do with their time, anyone can do it if they take the time to learn but not many have the time or patients to learn.

#11 minnow

minnow

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

I would disagree that THE reason people pay others to solder is because they have other things to do with their time.

Most of my customers pay me to solder because of the assurance they receive knowing that a competent, responsible, steady-handed person is installing the chip.

I also believe that there are some people who could "learn" how to solder, but still be dangerous around circuit boards.

Take epileptic folks, and those with narcolepsy. Those guys would be a danger around fine elecrical equipment and molten metal.

#12 Staticvoid

Staticvoid

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

use solderless if you cant solder if it moves just add something to take the space between the chip and dvdrom smile.gif

#13 oxjeremy334

oxjeremy334

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:Being a Rhinestone Cowboy

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Why don't you have the manager solder it for you (if he soldered his)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users