• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mg6134

mg6134

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:09 AM

I am having alot of disc read errors from a 2 month old xbox, and was going to try the pot tweak but the picture in the tutorial isn't the same as mine. I have read that there are two phillips dvd drives. I have the VAD6035/21, I guess that the one in the picture is the VAD6011 older version. Is there a tutorial of the newer phillips dvd? The two pots are in different positions and I don't know for sure which one to turn.I'm not 100% sure that the dvd is the problem cause I have burned the same game using nero with same settings, same media and one will work and the other won't. I have also had games that load to the start screen then lock up and I've extracted the iso and ftp them to the hdd and the game locks up in the same place. This makes me think that it's the game that has a problem. Do some games need patches to work? I have a version 1.6 with xenium s.p. ice chip 2.01 os,evoxm8+ 16 bios,seagate 120 gb hdd locked, evox dash 3921. I know there is a newer xenium os 2.30 would that make any difference? Is there any other bios for a 1.6 xbox that would help?

#2 L0z

L0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Interests:XBox Modding, Guitar, Snowboarding
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

Ok, the pot you need to tweak is the left hand one of the two pictured below. It is the one closest the sloped ribbon cable thingy. By turning this 1/8 turn clockwise my drive now reads everything i chuck at it, even the cheapst of cheap cd-r's .

user posted image

I'm not 100% sure that the dvd is the problem cause I have burned the same game using nero with same settings, same media and one will work and the other won't.

I have had a similar problem like this. It is probably caused by using either/or cheap dvd media or cheap dvd writer. I use a LiteOn writer, pretty cheap but also pretty poor at producing high quility burns. For PC use it is fine but when mixed with the xbox things aren't so great. One thing that does help is burning at the slowest speed possible, 2x in my case.

Hope this info helps ya a bit.

#3 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

I would not mess with the pot. Try different media first. this seems more like a media issue.
be aware if you tweak the pot the drive may never read anything again. So it is a risk and you have to weigh up if you want to take it.

#4 mg6134

mg6134

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:41 AM

Thanks LOz for the info and picture, I did try turning the pot mentioned 1/8 turn and was able to get a few more games to work. Still some don't work. I'm not going to press my luck turning it anymore. My dvd is a cheap ($49) NEC from tiger direct, maybe thats the problem. I will try some more expensive media and see what happens.

#5 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:46 PM

If you mean your burner is an NEC then it will be fine . Top burners and under rated. Even burn +R with booktype settings for DVD Rom.
get some good quality Ritek G04 discs to go with it and you should be away.

#6 Stitch_626

Stitch_626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(mg6134 @ May 3 2005, 02:15 PM)
I am having alot of disc read errors from a 2 month old xbox, and was going to try the pot tweak but the picture in the tutorial isn't the same as mine. I have read that there are two phillips dvd drives. I have the VAD6035/21, I guess that the one in the picture is the VAD6011 older version. Is there a tutorial of the newer phillips dvd? The two pots are in different positions and I don't know for sure which one to turn.I'm not 100% sure that the dvd is the problem cause I have burned the same game using nero with same settings, same media and one will work and the other won't. I have also had games that load to the start screen then lock up and I've extracted the iso and ftp them to the hdd and the game locks up in the same place. This makes me think that it's the game that has a problem. Do some games need patches to work? I have a version 1.6 with xenium s.p. ice chip 2.01 os,evoxm8+ 16 bios,seagate 120 gb hdd locked, evox dash 3921. I know there is a newer xenium os 2.30 would that make any difference? Is there any other bios for a 1.6 xbox that would help?

View Post

Try Ritek or Ridata media Printco are bad news. Also drop your recording speed.

#7 Gerjan

Gerjan

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(mg6134 @ May 4 2005, 07:47 AM)
Thanks LOz for the info and picture, I did try turning the pot mentioned 1/8 turn and was able to get a few more games to work. Still some don't work. I'm not going to press my luck turning it anymore. My dvd is a cheap ($49) NEC from tiger direct, maybe thats the problem. I will try some more expensive media and see what happens.

View Post

Try Philips brand dvd/cd biggrin.gif Will work 100% ( I guess why rotfl.gif )

#8 tutyet

tutyet

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:jhgjh
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

not necessarily, it all depends, get some g04 like chancer said thats the "good shit".

i remember when i tweaked my philllps pot about a year ago, and its been very good, now as well as reading cds it even reads dvd+ with no booktype!

but again like chancer said it could make it usless!

#9 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

Sorry for bumping an old post guys...but I need some current input.
I have a Phillips on my 1.0
Can anyone else share their experience with this? How many others have gotten CDRs to work?
Please, no personal opinions...I know the risks involved and the types of media recommended for un-modded drives.

#10 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:34 AM

bump

#11 Majkey88

Majkey88

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:TV-Games in general and electronic
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

My Philips works great on my v1.0. I got my xbox a month ago and it had a dead dvd drive.
And I had a Philips drive that never had been used laying around. So I changed the dead one with my philips and now it reads everything I give it. Including cdr.

Hell it even reads discs my brothers V1.6b doesnt biggrin.gif

#12 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(Majkey88 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:08 AM) View Post

My Philips works great on my v1.0. I got my xbox a month ago and it had a dead dvd drive.
And I had a Philips drive that never had been used laying around. So I changed the dead one with my philips and now it reads everything I give it. Including cdr.

Hell it even reads discs my brothers V1.6b doesnt biggrin.gif

so you did the pot-tweak as mentioned above?

#13 Majkey88

Majkey88

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:TV-Games in general and electronic
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Party Animal @ Mar 16 2007, 01:53 PM) View Post

so you did the pot-tweak as mentioned above?

eeeh, sorry no. Didnt need to.
Just wanted to say that if the Philips drive is in good condition it reads Cdr "out of the box"

#14 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

has anyone else tweaked the pot on their Phillips?

#15 Party Animal

Party Animal

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(Party Animal @ Mar 19 2007, 10:44 AM) View Post

has anyone else tweaked the pot on their Phillips?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users