• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sticky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:19 AM

I don't post here much, though I read it nearly everyday. I tried an older version of MXM and thought it had potential. I thought it had so much potential I've been meaning to come up w/a skin for it when I had some time. Then came the generator skin w/the movie pack.

If you haven't tried out the latest MXM and installed the Generator skin w/the movie pack your are missing out on dropping your friends jaws to the floor. It's that good.

Give it a few weeks and the word will be out that folks who aren't at least using MXM as their main game launcher just don't know where it's at.

Phenomenal job to BJ for the best game launcher hands down, bar none. Kudos as well to StrongBad who should make everyone stand up and take notice of the potential for MXM in the hands of talented skinners.

#2 TedAppleberry

TedAppleberry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:46 AM

Can you tell me exactly what I need? There seems to be a lot of stuff in the binaries newsgroups associated with MXM. You mentioned 3 packages? What's the latest build of MXM?
Thanks! beerchug.gif

#3 sticky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:12 AM

I believe 9H to be the latest release of MXM (although it certainly could have changed as BJ is often improving it). You will need to get that from "the usual places." That should take you about 30 seconds of effort. <grin>

The next file you need is available at www.allxboxskins.com

Click the MXM link and download the "Generator" skin pack.

The movie addon pack (which honestly is what makes it all come together) used to be available at allxbox as well but as of now it seems to have been removed. Maybe someone could be of more help than I about that.

#4 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:21 AM

Indeed it is a great application and I give congrats to BJ on his amazing work. I have been slowly working on implementing it into Craxtion. Keep waiting for it thought cause I am moving slow (DAMN SCHOOL)

#5 TedAppleberry

TedAppleberry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:31 AM

OK, I am downloading all the stuff you recommended. I remember I played with this on the first release and failed miserably trying to create the xml stuff.. Is there a sample file included with any of the packages I should work off of so I don't have to start from scratch? Any other hints or suggestions?
Thanks..

#6 sticky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 01:55 AM

There is an XML sample code included in the readme or nfo file of the "Generator" pack which was of the most use to me. I simply cut/pasted that in to the mxm.xml and edited the entries to reflect my game list. In all honesty, it's a bit tedious going if you have a large collection of games - but not difficult in the least and well, well worth it.

#7 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:06 AM

Well, I'm continuing work on it, though I've had some difficulties with my main machine, so I'm currently working on another machine after screwing with my Pc all weekend (yesterday to install a 180GB drive, all day TODAY trying to get Win2k booting after chkdsk waxed my software registry).

Luckily, I had tools installed here as well, so I'm pushing ahead.

Current work involves extending the menu entry capability for HD users (submenus, menu files), which is part of my revamping of the initialization. Once I finish the sidetrack, I can return to getting current skins working with the "new" skin technology.

After that's done, I plan on testing MXM as "default dashboard" from C: and E: partitions (using different BIOSe), then tidying up a few more gadgets, revamping the DefaultSkin for the new technology, and releasing 0.9i

Hopefully, that won't take TOO long. It seems to go in fits and starts.... I had hoped to have a bulk done by the end of the weekend, until this mess with my PC occured.

At any rate, there will be good stuff a-plenty in the next release!

For skins: Custom fonts, text, fixed menu block (as well as an "old school" MenuX style menu block) and images with more options for video playback.

Oh... and the file loading time for screenshots should be a thing of the past, though I'll need to do more testing. smile.gif There are a LOT of things under the surface that have been changed.

#8 TedAppleberry

TedAppleberry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE (sticky @ Mar 24 2003, 01:55 AM)
There is an XML sample code included in the readme or nfo file of the "Generator" pack which was of the most use to me. I simply cut/pasted that in to the mxm.xml and edited the entries to reflect my game list. In all honesty, it's a bit tedious going if you have a large collection of games - but not difficult in the least and well, well worth it.

COol, just so we are on the same page. There are two xml files in the generator theme pack. mxm_skin.xml in the base folder and the same file in a Custom Help Folder.. Did you woerk off the custom help edition? It looks more complete.. I don't mind tedious, I just want to make sure I start with the right stuff..

#9 corkinator

corkinator

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:47 AM

Was it actually built from the ground up or taken ideas and/or code from the menus in the demo cd's? Don't get me wrong though, this is me just wondering thats all smile.gif MXM is the best thing I have on my Xbox and I've been creating skins the last week or two and I love it!! (I had too many ideas at once with the skins though, heheh, so I have yet to complete any)
It's also brought my interest back in playing some older games as I am seeing the videos I have created and reminded how good the games still are! lol!!

Cheers! Keep up the good work.

#10 TedAppleberry

TedAppleberry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 05:11 AM

This is awesome, especially with the Generator Skin theme.. I have been launching all my games with xboxplorer, talk about night and day! Now of course I want to add a video clip for every game on my system. Looks like IGN has everything in .mov format. What's a good tool to convert to .wmv?
Thanks! Great Stuff!

#11 LepPpeR

LepPpeR

Author of Craxtion

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,388 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 March 2003 - 05:40 AM

use tmpgenc to conver .mov to .mpg then WMV encoder which is freeware from MS.

Goto: www.dvdrhelp.com for info on all conversions.

#12 Matzy

Matzy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:29 AM

I have done a few wmv game movies for my MXM install which were basically captured through an ATI TV card and then converted using the WM7Encoder pack. One question though, which version of wmv are supported, and are there any limitations in movie size, format etc etc.... Seems there is very little about regarding movie file formats....

#13 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE (Matzy @ Mar 24 2003, 05:29 AM)
I have done a few wmv game movies for my MXM install which were basically captured through an ATI TV card and then converted using the WM7Encoder pack. One question though, which version of wmv are supported, and are there any limitations in movie size, format etc etc.... Seems there is very little about regarding movie file formats....

Xbox supports WM8 encoding.

My advice is to keep it relatively small and short, though... I did a conversion of the "Ring" video clip at full DVD resolution and found the decoder hit and miss, but I didn't do a lot of testing. It seemed like the audio buffer couldn't keep up with the video, for whatever reason, and randomly (never hit at the same spot consistently), it would run out of buffer, even when I gave it 2MB worth. Reducing the size of the video seemed to clear it up just fine (1/4 DVD).

#14 sticky

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:05 PM

This is awesome, especially with the Generator Skin theme.. I have been launching all my games with xboxplorer, talk about night and day! Now of course I want to add a video clip for every game on my system. Looks like IGN has everything in .mov format. What's a good tool to convert to .wmv?
Thanks! Great Stuff!

Do a search for "Rolf's" here in the Homebrew forum for a step-by-step guide. Note that if you're trying to download videos from ign you can simply delete the ign cookie to allow you to grab more videos after you "hit your daily limit." (tip posted by someone who isn't me on a different thread)

Brian

#15 TedAppleberry

TedAppleberry

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (LepPpeR @ Mar 24 2003, 05:40 AM)
use tmpgenc to conver .mov to .mpg then WMV encoder which is freeware from MS.

Goto: www.dvdrhelp.com for info on all conversions.

I downloaded tpmgenc and it says .mov is not supported, is this with the freeware version only?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users