• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kibble

Kibble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

Someone told me it was possible to soft-mod an Xbox so that you can play burned backup games without having to open the case. I thought this was impossible, and I have not seen any such device or technique that enables you to do this. Is it possible? Obviously, I understand many features that you would get with a soldered chip would not be possible if this can be done, but the basic ability to play burned backup games is all that's needed.

Edited by Kibble, 04 May 2005 - 02:04 PM.

#2 modbox_

modbox_

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, from softmods to tsop flashes. I also enjoy reading.<br /><br />Now modding 360's!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

It is totaly possible, and with the rite software can be done in less than 5 minutes, goto the xbe exploits and softmod section of the forum and read up.

#3 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:08 PM

It Is Possible Check Out The Softmod Forums And Read The Pinned Topics.

#4 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Xtrem @ May 4 2005, 01:14 PM)
It Is Possible Check Out The Softmod Forums And Read The Pinned Topics.

View Post

Which are called the 'XBE Exploit' section here.

(yeah yeah yeah, you can also check the 'Gamesave exploit' section, but it's outdated and might as well be merged with the XBE section)

#5 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

The only way to do it without opening the case is with a gamesave exploit.. You will need:
An exploitable game (See link in my sig)

A mem card (and a friend with a modded xbox) OR
An action replay card (which doesn't require a modded box) OR
A usb memory storage device (memcard acceptable) and a usb-xbox adapter cable which can be made from a break away cable

Softmod installation software (My AnotherGamesaveInstaller or krayzie's installer HIGHLY suggested)
And also a bit of time to read about what you are doing so that you don't mess up your box..

All the info can be found in the xbe exploits section.. If you open your xbox to access the hdd from your pc you can do the same thing without any of the above items except the time to read..

#6 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

In my opinion, if you don't know much about xboxs and soldering, then a softmod is the way to go!

I'd use a usb storage device if I were you, and you can buy the right usb cable off ebay for barely anything...
Or make your own (it's easy but includes soldering (quite easy))

#7 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

Thats good safe soldering practice, although you can also just tape/tie off the wires..

#8 Kibble

Kibble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

I really know nothing about Xbox's or soldering, and just want to play backups of my games etc. Nothing more fancy than that, which all the solder kits seem to provide you with. I just want the most simple and cheapest option available.

Edited by Kibble, 04 May 2005 - 06:06 PM.

#9 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Kibble @ May 4 2005, 12:12 PM)
I really know nothing about Xbox's or soldering, and just want to play backups of my games etc. Nothing more fancy than that, which all the solder kits seem to provide you with. I just want the most simple and cheapest option available.

Just My Opinion : When Modding Don't Be Cheap Or You Will Spend More Then Your Ever Though.

Option : Any 4 Generation Mod Chip With Solderless Adapter.

#10 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

(Rough estimate)

Second hand version of Splinter Cell - 7
USB cable (ebay + postage) - 5
USB storage device - 10
---------------------------------------------------
Total- 22

That cheap enough? Not sure what it is in dollars

Not much at all! Or you could get a Xecuter 2.6CE and Xapter for 29.99 biggrin.gif

But you said you didn't want to open it up...

(Dunno where to get good cheap stuff in US or anywhere else)

Edited by Winchy, 04 May 2005 - 06:41 PM.

#11 Kibble

Kibble

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

I am in UK also, so thanks for that.

Err...why do i need a second hand copy of Splinter Cell, or was this just an example?

Don't mind spending what needs to spent to ensure it works obviously, but I am wary about opening up my box and soldering. Don't think i'd be comfortable with that. So if an easy soft-mod option will what I want, that would be my preference for sure.

#12 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

SplinterCell, 007-Agent Under Fire, and Mechassault (mainly non-platinum hits versions) have security flaws that allow you to bypass the security of the xbox.. See my sig about which game copies will work..
I have to disagree with the 4th generation modchips.. I think they are a total waste of money..
But if you get an exploitable game, and can copy an exploitable gamesave to your xbox with a memory unit, you can install a softmod which will allow you to play your backups..

Edit: If you want the cheapest solution, and don't mind opening your xbox and pc you can hotswap with xboxhdm. Only cost is a blank cdr

Edited by triggernum5, 04 May 2005 - 09:17 PM.

#13 Soullar

Soullar

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:24 PM

Take triggernums advice, read the links in his sig. There are some in mine you might wanna read through as well.

And again ... chekc the XBE Exploit section (http://forums.xbox-s...hp?showforum=45) (and it's pinned topics and tutorials)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users