4 replies to this topic

#1 b4ker06

b4ker06

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:32 AM

ok

So I'm TSOPing a v1.0 xbox with a switch. Having installed the switch, i flip it to connect the a19 to vcc and run raincoat. I flash a 512k x2.4981.06.bin bios and restart, and everything is okay. But when I disabled the switch, I get the 2 green flash and frag problem -- no original msdash.

What's the point of a multibios if only one bios works and the original bios is hosed? So to remedy, I do what any other xbox modder does -- search xbscene forums. I find a post that describes the 'cat bios.512 bios.512 > bios.1024.bin' linux command to join files, so i first get my 4034 kernel original bios and size it to 512 using xbtool.

Then I use the cat command in raincoat to join my evox 512 and my original bios 512 in that order and then flash the bios with the new 1meg bios. This is done with power being applied to a19 thru the switch.

Next thing I know I'm 2 green flashes then fragging on both switch settings.

Where did I go wrong, and is there anything I can do now? Maybe the 3 wire trick? Help?

BTW hi all first post =p

#2 DuckOfDeath

DuckOfDeath

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(b4ker06 @ May 7 2005, 04:38 PM)
...But when I disabled the switch, I get the 2 green flash and frag problem -- no original msdash.

View Post

By disabled the switch, what do you mean? Did you take the switch out, because it will frag if you have two different bio's present on the 1mb tosp. You need the switch connected.

I assume you used a spdt switch with a19 in the middle, vcc and gnd on either side. When Vcc is sent through a19, you are telling to box to boot from the first 512k of the bios. When it is grounded, it tells the box to boot from the bottom half. If the switch isn't there, it tries to boot from the whole 1mb bank, and it finds that it's not all the same, so it frags.

Check your switch, if you don't have it setup the way I described, that's your problem. If you do, then boot back with your hacked bios, flip the switch before you flash, and reflash with your retail bios. It should work.

-Duck!

#3 b4ker06

b4ker06

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:26 AM

you misunderstand me, by disable i mean put a19 to ground.

I'd like to switch back to the xecuter and flash it again, but as i said, both switch positions frag. The thing is I have no idea why, and it makes no sense at all. I used the right bios, the file size was correct. I can't understand why neither of the two switch positions will boot. Is there something fundamentally wrong with my method? It made sense at the time...

#4 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:26 AM

if you did set the switch up correctly its possible you simply do not have a solid connection on teh ground leg, so double chcek all your solder joints (also make sure you have it set up liek teh split TSOP pic in my sig)

#5 b4ker06

b4ker06

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:41 AM

i figured it out, thanks for the advice.

it turns out both of you were right. what i was seeing was the xbox trying to load two different sections of a 1mb bios at the same time. the reason for this was because one of the wires was exposed and touching an adjacent solder pad, which must have prevented a19 from receiving the vcc or ground.

my method works perfect, joining the files in linux was no problem; i recommend it but i guess check your wiring beforehand =p

thanks for the fast responses though, customer gets his box back same day because of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users