Photo

Xbox Looks Crappy On My Video Projector !?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Darkness_au

Darkness_au

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 09 May 2005 - 02:15 AM

Hi all..

I have a high end video/data DLP LCD projector.. its a HP VP6120

Anyway.. watching movies on the projector looks perfect.. but when I hook my Xbox up to it the text and games look blurry and fuzzy..

And no matter what I do I cant get it to look nice..

And with this projector it should look much nicer..

I have PAL Xbox running in PAL60 and using the latest UnleashX Dashboard.

Any info ?

Thanks.

#2 RobTheGob

RobTheGob

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:31 AM

If you want to talk about "high end" projectors - they start at $15K and go up from there!

What kind of connection are you using? What resolution are you running when it looks bad?

#3 cloudhead

cloudhead

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

What are you using to play the movies? maybe you have a progressive scan DVD player and that's why the xbox looks poor in comparison. You can get progressive scan/Hi-Def output from the xbox but you need to flash the eeprom to NTSC and buy a Hi-Def AV pack. (M$ disabled Hi-Def for PAL xboxes hence the need to flash to NTSC)

#4 Darkness_au

Darkness_au

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(RobTheGob @ May 9 2005, 03:37 AM)
If you want to talk about "high end" projectors - they start at $15K and go up from there!

View Post

High end for the home theater market then...

QUOTE(RobTheGob @ May 9 2005, 03:37 AM)
What kind of connection are you using? What resolution are you running when it looks bad?

View Post

Using a S-Video lead and whatever the Xbox resolution is by default.

Didnt think you can change the resolution ???? the only options are Widescreen, leterbox etc & PAL50/PAL60.

QUOTE(cloudhead @ May 9 2005, 09:16 AM)
What are you using to play the movies? maybe you have a progressive scan DVD player and that's why the xbox looks poor in comparison. You can get progressive scan/Hi-Def output from the xbox but you need to flash the eeprom to NTSC and buy a Hi-Def AV pack. (M$ disabled Hi-Def for PAL xboxes hence the need to flash to NTSC)

View Post

Yea I have a Progressive DVD/MPEG4 DVD player hooked up via Componant cables for the best possible quality..

Still I didnt think the Xbox would look soooo bad sad.gif

Might try out your idea though, most of the games & movies I play & watch through the Xbox are NTSC anyway....

Edited by Darkness_au, 09 May 2005 - 12:22 PM.

#5 recoil666

recoil666

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

You need to forget about using Svideo and get yourself the HiDef pack, which will allow you to hook up via Component (and achieve resolutions of 480p, 720p and 1080i). SVideo generally looks s**t on any projector.

#6 Darkness_au

Darkness_au

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:36 AM

But whats this about changing the resolution ???

#7 Sundawn

Sundawn

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

how do you flash the xbox to ntsc? i mean you can modify the xbox os on c drive but you cant flash anything besides the modchip ... i will be using a projector too soon and would want my xbox hooked up with highdef

#8 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE(Darkness_au @ May 10 2005, 05:42 PM)
But whats this about changing the resolution ???

View Post

Once you get the HiDef A/V pack, you can enable higher resolution HD modes. 720p and 1080i however require the game also support them, and most games don't.

#9 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(Darkness_au @ May 9 2005, 03:24 AM)

Yea I have a Progressive DVD/MPEG4 DVD player hooked up via Componant cables for the best possible quality..

Ok, so you are comparing the image quality of a DVD player connected via component cables to the XBOX connected via S-Video, and can't understand why S-Video looks crappy?

That's like saying you don't understand why hitting yourself in the head with a hammer doesn't feel as good as making love to a beautiful woman!? tongue.gif

Seriously, you'll need the High Def A/V pack to get progressive out and enable HD modes on the XBOX. You will never be able to compare anything not connected via component video to your projector.

I can tell you are in a non-NTSC country by your questions. Unfortunately MS didn't figure anyone would use HD outside NTSC land, so first, you'll have to import an MS Hi Def A/V pack. Then flash your system to NTSC. There's instructions here on all that, but be warned, that some non-NTSC games don't work well under NTSC, and then there's the question of how your projector would handle NTSC, etc. etc.

#10 Freddo14

Freddo14

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

high definition pack in the UK:

Here

and you dont need to "flash" anything to ntsc, unleashX probably has an option to change to it (havn't used it as a dashboard myself but have a look around maybe options like eeprom (careful what u change!!) )

otherwise you need the enigmah video selector program, from the usual sources, that'll do the trick (amazing its still in common use today considering it was one of the first xbox programs ever ever ever released)

edit.

on the note of game/movie compatability, its rare to find a game that wont work in 480i/p but in the rare event you do, it takes about two seconds to change back to pal and just play in 576i.

Edited by Freddo14, 11 May 2005 - 07:42 PM.

#11 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Freddo14 @ May 11 2005, 10:46 AM)

and you dont need to "flash" anything to ntsc, ...
otherwise you need the enigmah video selector program, from the usual sources,

Uh, if the enigmah video selector program doesn't flash the XBOX to NTSC, what does it do exactly? blink.gif

#12 Freddo14

Freddo14

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

it flips like one bit in the eeprom, i suppose you could call it flashing in the strictest technical sense but personaly when I think "flash" i think "trash your xbox if you get it wrong" which is pretty far from the case here.

#13 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE(Freddo14 @ May 11 2005, 02:14 PM)
it flips like one bit in the eeprom

That's all I meant when I said "flash" beerchug.gif

#14 RobTheGob

RobTheGob

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(Darkness_au @ May 9 2005, 04:24 AM)
High end for the home theater market then... 

I was talking about the home theater market! Any projector under $3500 is considered low end, high end is two stacked $40K projectors...

As was already mentioned, you really need to lose the S-Video connection. You will never get a very good picture using S.

Edited by RobTheGob, 12 May 2005 - 01:55 AM.

#15 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE(RobTheGob @ May 11 2005, 04:57 PM)
I was talking about the home theater market! Any projector under $3500 is considered low end, high end is two stacked $40K projectors...

As was already mentioned, you really need to lose the S-Video connection. You will never get a very good picture using S.

View Post

Ok, I'm gonna' say this is personal opinion here:

low end: less than $1,000

High end: $2,000+

audiophile/videophile quality: $10,000+

No point in arguing what you mean by high end vs someone else. dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users