Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:52 PM

I Was Wondering If The 360 Will Read The New DVD Format Made By Sony And Toshiba ¿

May 09, 2005 - Following recent announcements of a move towards compromise in the heated battle to become the next generation home video standard, the Tuesday morning Nihon Keizai Shimbun contains a first report on the shape that such a compromise will take. According to the paper, Sony and Toshiba have entered into final preparations for a format which combines disk technology from Sony with software technology from Toshiba. The two companies plan to offer an unified format to members of their respective high definition video forums as early as next week.

Toshiba's decision to give way on the disk format was apparently made after examining cost issues related to the Sony technology. The merged format will make use of Sony's 0.1 millimeter Blu-ray disk technology with Toshiba's software in place for reading and writing from the disk and handling copyright protection. Toshiba's 0.6 millimeter HD-DVD disk technology will be dropped. The resulting technology will be offered as a new format. It's unclear at this point if the new format will adopt the Blu-ray or the HD-DVD name, or if something completely new will be used.
Sony announced late last year that the next generation PlayStation would make use of the Blu-ray format. The Nihon Keizai article reveals that, as part of the compromise, Blu-ray supporters Sony and Matsushita were demanding the highest possible storage space for future IT and game applications. This would suggest even though Blu-ray as it was known is gone, the new merged standard will end up serving as the format for PS3.

Expect further announcements later this week or at E3.

Link

Edited by Xtrem, 10 May 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#2 blagmaster

blagmaster

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Interests:girls
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:55 PM

Read: We do NOT know, we do NOT have an xbox 360 so we can NOT see if it works, ofcourse people can speculate wether it will support it or not but we cant know for sure wink.gif

It will be great if it will, but i dont think so sad.gif

#3 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(blagmaster @ May 10 2005, 10:01 AM)
It will be great if it will, but i dont think so

If The 360 Comes Out Before The New Format It Will Not Read It, But If The New Format Comes Out Before The 360 I Hope It Will Work.

#4 Arius

Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

doubt it.

Educated guess is a normal DVd drive in it.

#5 Dazik

Dazik

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:02 PM

Toshiba denies Blue-Ray/HD-DVD merger report.

#6 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Dazik @ May 10 2005, 10:08 AM)

Man That Sucks ! I Don't Want Another War (BETA VS VHS) ! I Just Want One Format For Everything And That Is Able To Read My Current DVDs.

#7 bluvasa

bluvasa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:20 PM

That link states that they are both currently in negotiations, so I think some common ground will eventually be released.

I don't think MS will use the either HD format. Remember this is a brand new technology with zero user base.

I guarantee the average movie watcher will not want to buy a new video player especially when DVDs are still relatively new. It was just a couple of years ago when DVDs actually surpassed VHS in sales.

I don't think the general public is ready for another big switch.

MS is doint the right thing IMO. You have to look ahead to the future and decide which is the best choice. I still see DVDs as the predominate video format five years from now and that is what MS sees too.

#8 testing

testing

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

It wont support HD DVD nor Blu Ray as of the information there is now. One of the other next gen consoles will support Blu Ray and DVD but I am not sure how much that will help Game developers.

#9 iwannadie

iwannadie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

i thought ms has said officially they are not using blu ray or hd disks. i could be wrong but i really thought this was old news and ms has put their foot down on it.

#10 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

A New Rumour :

Sony is already planning to integrate Blu-ray into the Playstation 3, while MS is expected to announce this week that HD DVD will be a non-exclusive component of the upcoming Xbox 360. Both next-gen gaming consoles will be used for DVD playback and home media networking.
Link

#11 Joergen

Joergen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

I think people are just confusing High Definition DVDs (DVD9 with MPEG4) with HD-DVD (the standard).. where MS is going for the former. This mixup will go on for the entire life span of the system, especially when HD-DVDs come out and people think the X360 will play them.

Edited by Joergen, 11 May 2005 - 09:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users