51 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_Woofer

Dark_Woofer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:57 AM

Many peoples ask how to install xdsl 0.2 on their xbox. Since i'm not able to sleep, and kinda high, i decided to write a small howto on this.

To do so, you will need :
- A computer with windows and an internet connection dry.gif
- A .zip extractor (i recommend WinRAR)
- A FTP Client (i recommend Core FTP)
- A copy of Isobuster
- A modded Xbox (modchip, TSOP, or softmodded)
- A dashboard with FTP feature (unleashx, evolutionx)
- xDSL 0.2

Start by installing the extractor and the ftp client. Download xdsl-0.2.zip somewhere on your computer, if you don't already have it.

Extracting the files
Open xdsl-0.2.zip with WinRAR.

Extract all the files to C:/xdsl (or where you want)

You can now close WinRAR and open IsoBuster.

Open the xdsl-0.2.iso file and extract the files to c:/xdsl/extracted (i'll edit this section tomorrow with screenshots and details, cause i'm on xdsl right now and i don't remember wich one you got to extract)

Transfert the files over the Xbox
Your C:/xdsl/extracted folder should now look like this : (screenshot tomorrow sorry)

Open Core FTP and setup a new connection according to your Xbox parameters (again, screenshot tomorrow)

Connect to your Xbox. You should see something like this : (tomorrow...)

Double click on the E partition

Now drag and drop the files from C:/xdsl/extracted in the E partition, and wait for the transfert to complete.

Start Linux
You'll fiirst need to add launch link to your dashboard pointing over the xromwell xbe.
If you use Unleashx, edit the config.xml like this : (yea i know, screenshot tomorrow)

For Evolutionx, edit the evox.ini like this : ( biggrin.gif )

Reboot. To launch linux, simply use the Linux link. The next screen should look like this : (i promise u i'll do thoses screenshot right after breakfast tomorrow biggrin.gif)

In about a minute, linux should boot!

Note : If xromwell freeze at the blue loading screen, try to remove your dvd dongle, your usb mouse/keyboard, and any controller that are connected. This is a know bug in xromwell. You can also use the shallax gentoox loader, that seem to be more compatible with those usb devices.

What to do now?
I'll add this section tomorrow. I'll explain how to setup a swapfile, do a loopback/native install, reactivate the mouse scroll, desactivate the onscreem leyboard, reactivate apt-get, all with screenshots and detailled info!!

For now, this tutorial is really incomplete. But it's 1am over canada and i'm starting to be r eally tired. I promise you all that i'll add the screenshots and complete it really shortly. Please excuse all the gramatical errors, i'm having such a hard time writing this in english!!

And thanks to all the xdsl crew for this incredible distro!!!!

#2 MicroMods

MicroMods

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:26 AM

You should add that people need to right click (B ), and then do Apps, Tools.

The devs just think we all use FluxBox and know where that is..

Took me a friggin hour yesterday to figure it out.

-Chris

Edited by MicroMods, 12 May 2005 - 02:32 AM.

#3 Demobot

Demobot

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

What do you need to do when your editing AVAluanch? Would it be the same as editing Evox? And would you copy the extracted files over in a XDSL folder, or just let the files sit openly in the E:?

#4 althena

althena

X-S Senior Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Videogames (from the good old 8Bit-Times up to now), Mangas, Animes, Cinema, meeting friends, sports
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:09 PM

Good job, just one suggestion from me you could add:

You recommend to edit the evox.ini so that xsdl appears in the Dashboard and can be started from there.
I find it much more easy to rename the xromwell xbe in default.xbe and move it to the other apps. I have all my apps like dvd2xbox and XBMC in e/apps. There I created a new folder called Linux and moved the renamed XBE in it. This way it appears not only in Evo-X but also in every other Dashboard like Avalaunch or UnleashX without having to edit a Config-File. For Avalaunch or UnleashX now just find yourself a nice Tux-Icon and be happy smile.gif
I had no problems so far doing this and neither with Gentoox before.

#5 alcatel

alcatel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:18 AM

if i extract all files and put it into e:\apps\xdsl
wouldn't that just work with evolution x ?
i have a wireless mouse and key board connected onto 1 usb receiver ,would this work then.?

#6 friedgold

friedgold

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 20 May 2005 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(alcatel @ May 20 2005, 12:29 PM)
if i extract all files and put it into e:\apps\xdsl
wouldn't that just work with evolution x ?
i have a wireless mouse and key board connected onto 1 usb receiver ,would this work then.?

View Post

This wont work for 2 reasons

1) Cromwell is hardcoded to look for linuxboot.cfg in E:\linuxboot.cfg
2) The inital ramdisk looks for the XDSL filesystem on \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX for every Xbox partition (i.e. C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX, D:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX, etc)

If you want the linux bootloader to appear in your dashboard menu, by all means copy the xromwell xbe (default.xbe on the cd) to a folder in your apps dir. However the other files have to be in the correct places.

#7 dasefx

dasefx

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:37 AM

anyone here knows why the lastest xdsl release have no sound output ? it's seems like the device is recognized but it doesn't sound, my xbox is connected to my receiver via an optical cable. Please help smile.gif

#8 Darknior

Darknior

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Thanks, i will test this evening your solution, because when i copy the files on my xbox it want to BOOT ou CD sad.gif

And how to MOUNT the DRIVES E and F of my xbox for install games and utils after ... ?

Thanks wink.gif

#9 x-fox

x-fox

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(dasefx @ May 22 2005, 08:48 AM)
anyone here knows why the lastest xdsl release have no sound output ? it's seems like the device is recognized but it doesn't sound, my xbox is connected to my receiver via an optical cable. Please help smile.gif

View Post

The sound ouput works great for me in xdsl-0.21. It could be your optical cable or maybe opticle ouput not being supported in xdsl. I use the stock cable that came with my xbox.

#10 alcatel

alcatel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:08 PM

thanks for the answer !
so i put
linux24 -> e:\KNOPPIX\linux24
minirt24 -> minirt24
KNOPPIX -> KNOPPIX

the linuxboot.cfg should be in the root (e:\linuxboot.cfg)
and the default.xbe i can put in e:\apps\linux\default.xbe

and then al should work ?

i tried to load it from apps first ,it loads and then i have to choose between cd or a pc symbol
what should i choose there ?

#11 LESTAT

LESTAT

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

you need to choose the one that looks like a joystick called FatX

and no you must boot default.xbe in the ROOT of your E drive dont hide it anywhere else.

e:\default.xbe

#12 ciprac

ciprac

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:22 PM

I've tried booting the CD on my box but all I get is the blue background screen with the inital h/w tests but it stops at

CODE
hdb: PHILIPS J5 3235C PHILIPS J5 3235C              -ATAPI
UDMA2

nothing else happens.

I've tried doing an FTP launch with the same result. Is there anything glaringly wrong with what I'm doing?

I followed the instructions to the letter which can be found here

Cheers for any help

#13 Goggl

Goggl

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE(ciprac @ May 28 2005, 04:33 PM)
I've tried booting the CD on my box but all I get is the blue background screen with the inital h/w tests but it stops at

CODE
hdb: PHILIPS J5 3235C PHILIPS J5 3235C              -ATAPI
UDMA2

nothing else happens.

I've tried doing an FTP launch with the same result. Is there anything glaringly wrong with what I'm doing?

I followed the instructions to the letter which can be found here

Cheers for any help

View Post

Do you have a USB mouse or keyboard connected to your Xbox? If yes, remove them before starting the Xromwell bootloader. This should help!

#14 rhayman

rhayman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

I was having similar problems with the ftp install (i did not try from cd). Turns out the problem was where i put the KNOPPIX file.

I originally had the files in this order:

E:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX (the last one being the file)
E:\KNOPPIX\linux24
E:\KNOPPIX\minirt24
E:\linuxboot.cfg

I beleive i was getting the same error message as you (cant remember).
I fixed it by simply not adding the KNOPPIX folder so all the files where in the same directory:

E:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX (the last one being the file)
E:\KNOPPIX\linux24
E:\KNOPPIX\minirt24
E:\linuxboot.cfg

The i placed the default.xbe in e:\apps\cromwell\default.xbe
This seemed to work.

#15 Syntax010

Syntax010

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Vintage gaming, music, movies, reading, cartoons, animae, parties, clubs, dancing, raves
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:09 AM

Are there any good guides online that anyone could point out for installing additional applications for Xdsl on Xbox? Most specificly i'm looking for instructions for installing and configuring console emulators that run under linux. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users