#1 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:24 AM

Alright, Ive got a n00b question you guys.

My first electronic mod has been switching out the stock eject light l.e.d's for blue ones. Ive got the right side working fine and everything. But the left side is just being a pain in the ass. I finally got it to light up today but all it does is blink. (Mind you I powered it up minus the hard drive and the disc drive. Would it flash to indicate that they werent found? Just thought Id add that).

There are three soder points on the left side. Which ones should be used. The bottom two or the top two. Thanks, you guys have been really helpful in the past and I apologize if this an anoying question.

#2 ahoatam

ahoatam

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Xecuter 2.3<br />80 Gb HDD<br />XBMC Dash<br />JP1 remote<br />12V 80mm Fan<br />Internal auto-switching DVD
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

Okay, here's the deal.

First, yeah, it's blinking because all the parts aren't in the right places. Put everything back together (correctly) and it won't blink.

Second, you should have 6 posts, 3 on each side. The middle post is your ground (-) and if you're looking at the board, the top left and the bottom right are positives for what used to be green. We'll say those are your "normally on" positives.

The other two posts (bottom left and top right) are your positives for your formally-red leds, and they share grounds with the normally-on LEDS. If you cut your old leds out, you should probably put some other led here, just in case there's an error, you can figure out what it is by the colors and the flashes.

Hope this helps.

#3 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:47 AM

hmmm ok. Are leds polar? Does it matter which goes to which?

#4 The_Hushed_Casket

The_Hushed_Casket

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding, Computer Engineering.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE([d)
eter,May 14 2005, 06:53 PM]hmmm ok. Are leds polar? Does it matter which goes to which?

View Post

yep, long leg = positive+, short leg = negative-
oh, and the resistor goes on the long (positive) leg.

Edited by The_Hushed_Casket, 15 May 2005 - 02:50 AM.

#5 xboxhead99

xboxhead99

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE(The_Hushed_Casket @ May 15 2005, 01:55 AM)
yep, long leg = positive+, short leg = negative-
oh, and the resistor goes on the long (positive) leg.

View Post

if you are replacing the existing led on the p/e you don't need a resistor

#6 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:23 AM

well it seems ive successfully fucked up the left side of the chip. I dont have anything to solder the legs to anymore. Guess you have to get it right the first time. This is pissing me off. How much are new chips? Thanks for all the help.

#7 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE([d]eter @ May 14 2005, 09:29 PM)
well it seems ive successfully fucked up the left side of the chip. I dont have anything to solder the legs to anymore. Guess you have to get it right the first time. This is pissing me off. How much are new chips? Thanks for all the help.

View Post

Do you mean the front board? if so you dont have to replace it. i kinda fucked mine up to. all i did is solder a wire directly onto the led (the one that wasnt lighting up) and make sure you connect it to the right pin. use this: user posted image

#8 Ghost_13

Ghost_13

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

i kinda messed up my board as well, so what your saying to do is just connect led 6, to wire 6? and what size of wire should i use? i have 30 and 22

#9 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

shit, that diagram just saved my ass. I never thought of going straight to the wires. Thanks alot!

#10 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Ghost_13 @ May 15 2005, 07:06 AM)
i kinda messed up my board as well, so what your saying to do is just connect led 6, to wire 6? and what size of wire should i use? i have 30 and 22

View Post

yes thats exactly what i did. as far as wire size i think i used 26. 30 would probly work better though.

Edited by sting369, 15 May 2005 - 08:48 PM.

#11 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:15 PM

Ok one more question, then I'll leave you guys alone. I just want a blue led on either side simply to illuminate the eject light fully, dont want it to flash or anything. Can this be done by directly connecting to one of the wires?

#12 Big_L

Big_L

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

it will eluminate it fully without doing any work, it will simply flash on/off when there is a problem.

If you don't want it to blink ever, and just stay blue, you can just bridge the two positive legs on each side (make a tiny wire that connects both the positives on each side together). This way when the xbox tries to blink, the blue LED always gets power. Although, I'm not sure why you would wanna do this. anyway, thats the easy way. the hard way would be to get 2 more blue LEDs and cram them in there side by side.

#13 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:09 PM

Ohh well I dont really care if it blinks becuase its loading or something, I just dont want it to be stuck on blink mode, as my left one has been doing. So you just strip the appropriate wire and attach the postive leg? What do you do witht the negitive leg? Just ground it? I think i'll go give it a try, thanks for all the help.

#14 [d]eter

[d]eter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:58 PM

It's all opened up and I'm ready to get to work, but I still dont trust myself. Can anyone tell me straight forward which wires I need to connect the postive and negative legs to? I dont want to sound lazy but I'm still not trusting myself to get it right. Thanks a bunch.

#15 sting369

sting369

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:17 AM

the short leg goes to negative and the long one will go to what ever led got screwed up. if you need more help you gotta say which one you are trying to repair. from the pic view top or bottom left or right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users