Photo

Limited Sucess With Cd-r On Thomson Drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psypher

Psypher

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 04:42 PM

I must admit I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to xbox modding. I've just recently ordered my chip and have been trying to learn as much as I can off the forums to make the install as easy as possible.

Anyways I found out I had a thomson drive and was worried if I would have troubles getting evox burned on a cdrw or cdr working on the drive. So I burnt 1 audio track onto both a cdrw and cdr. CDRW worked great and loaded properly, the cdr I was skeptical about when I tried it it gave me the "Disk Damaged/Dirty" error.

Anyways I reset the xbox and ejected the disk. I proceeded to go into Audio CD under the MS dashboard and then inserted the CDR again. To my surprise it worked, although I haven't the faintest idea why. Anyone able to duplicate this or explain it? I'm hoping I'll be able to play my Divx's on CDR when I get everything installed. *crosses fingers* smile.gif

#2 Anushian

Anushian

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 March 2003 - 06:58 PM

I guess it works for some and for other no. Personally i havent got any cd-rs to work. Ppl have said they got cd-rs to work using different tricks like booting up the box with the cdr inside, repeatedly trying a couple times, etc.

#3 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:56 PM

CD-Rs are tempermental with the Thomson which would explain why it worked on the reboot. Sometimes it also varies based on the game. CD-RW for some odd reason seems to be the CD format which the Thomson drives like. Although I have a Philips DVD drive I have had a similar experience with Princo DVD-R discs. On some games they boot up fine and play smooth everytime (i.e. DOA Volleyball) and others Boot up about every other time and freeze up 9 out of 10 times (i.e. Totaled). At first I thought it was a bad burn but after doing a backup of the Princo disc onto Ritek DVD-R the game boots up perfectly and has yet to freeze up on me. The point is that it depends on the individual drive, the media and the game itself.

#4 bebbeb

bebbeb

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 04:04 AM

I too have a thompson and fiddled around with cdr and cdrws for quite a while and finally said screw it and got a pioneer a105 on sale for $169. problem solved!!

#5 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 March 2003 - 06:52 AM

You got the Cendyne too I see. I agree that I would just prefer to stick to DVD-R as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users