#1 Jully

Jully

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:02 AM

i know that the XBOX 360 isn't going to have blu-ray unless they want to pay sony but what about hd-dvd. its atleast going to have that right?

#2 bluvasa

bluvasa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:08 AM

nope,

sorry only standard dvds

#3 broadwayblue

broadwayblue

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE(Jully @ May 15 2005, 09:08 PM)
i know that the XBOX 360 isn't going to have blu-ray unless they want to pay sony but what about hd-dvd. its atleast going to have that right?

View Post

up to this point all rumors and leaked info point to the 360 not having a next generation dvd format...rather standard dvd. hopefully they will at least support upconverting to 720/1080. it would be a nice surprise to hear that they are going with HD DVD, but it would be just that...a nice surprise.

#4 redwolf

redwolf

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:09 AM

No. As to date officialy it will have a standard DVD drive. I think this will keep the cost low smile.gif
Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD

http://www.xbox.com/...0/factsheet.htm

#5 Jully

Jully

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:12 AM

yeah but sony is almost certain;y going with blu-ray which is 1 layer 25gb and dual layer 50gb. how is xbox going to be able to fit next gen game and graphics on a standard dvd. now i have to admit when i back up games they are usually 3 gb and the disc can hold 8 but down the road a few years are they going to comeout with a new version

#6 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(Jully @ May 15 2005, 06:18 PM)
but down the road a few years are they going to comeout with a new version

View Post

No, if developers did use the full 8GB(won't/wouldn't very often), they would just add another disc, like they do with gamecube games now. Even if a game was on 2-3 dvd9's, it would still be much cheaper for the developer then 1 blue-ray disc.

#7 ilikepie

ilikepie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:27 AM

The information contained in this fact sheet relates to a prerelease product that may be substantially modified before its first commercial release. Accordingly, the information may not accurately describe or reflect the product when first commercially released. This fact sheet is provided for informational purposes only, and MS makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the fact sheet or the information contained in it.

It could change

#8 bluvasa

bluvasa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

The next gen video formats are still up in the air as far as MS is concerned.

They are looking for a sure thing and are sticking with the current standard.

Which ever new format comes out on top is irrelevant in my opinion. By the time those new formats are accepted by the general public, the XBox 720 will be out along with Halo4 tongue.gif

#9 PerfectModifications

PerfectModifications

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:51 AM

I think if MS put a blu-ray or HD-DVD drive in the 360, it would officially make them take a $3500 loss on each system...LOL. jester.gif

#10 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:42 AM

As long as the first x360s dont have that POS thomson im gonna be happy. The fact sheet says it supports cd-r!!! biggrin.gif

#11 Jully

Jully

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

well since everywhere they talk about a xbox - - samsung partnership i doubt anyother companies will have dvd drive in them

#12 Carlo210

Carlo210

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,220 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(bluvasa @ May 16 2005, 02:40 AM)
The next gen video formats are still up in the air as far as MS is concerned.

They are looking for a sure thing and are sticking with the current standard.

Which ever new format comes out on top is irrelevant in my opinion.  By the time those new formats are accepted by the general public, the XBox 720 will be out along with Halo4  tongue.gif

View Post

Halo 4 would be coming out for the 360, but didn't bungie say they were going to start a new game franchise? Non-halo related.

Edited by Carlo210, 16 May 2005 - 12:36 PM.

#13 Thurizaz

Thurizaz

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

why is people so worried? if a dvd's isn't enough why do you think they are using it?

#14 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

At this point MS has officially said they will only use DVD-9 media...

also Nintendo at this point has officially said they will only use DVD-9 media...

Sony has said in the past that they will use Blue-Ray-Disc media however...

Blueray was set to release in Q1 or Q2 2006 and the PS3 was projected to release either in Q2 or Q3... Toshiba (owner of the HD-DVD format) and Sony (owner of the Blue-Ray-Disc format) have decided to scrap both formats for a "universal format".... AFAIK talks are VERY preliminary at this point and they're worried that it might SUBSTANTIALLY push back the PS3 release....

THEN Sony decides they're scared of MS releasing so early and that they want a Q4 '05 launch... if they go through with that there is flat out NO WAY they'll support Blue-Ray Disc format, and if they do it will most likely be the only consumer device that ever supports it, making it pretty much a very expensive and fairly useless feature...

If I were a betting man I would bet that ALL next gen consoles use the DVD-9 format.

#15 82ross

82ross

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 16 2005, 01:37 PM)
If I were a betting man I would bet that ALL next gen consoles use the DVD-9 format.

View Post

It makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users