kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

Howdy,

I'm looking for a way that I can power on and off my xbox via the wireless controller, a universal remote, or some other way.

I found this tutorial (http://www.xbox-scen...es/rf-power.php) on how to do it with a Doorbell which looks pretty simple but are there any other ways to do it that might be even easier and cheaper? Looking for any and all possible solutions at this point.

Thanks.

#2 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

Check out the XERC. You can build it yourself or buy it from SICKmods.net starting at just $16.95.

Diagrams and more info at pablot.com

#3 kelemvor

kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:07 PM

I'm actually looking for a way to do this when the XBox is in a different room than I am. I also don't have an actual XBox remote so would that work?

I may be getting some IR Extender things which I would assume will work with this...

Hmmm.

#4 SICKdimension

SICKdimension

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Interests:TO IM ME, STATE YOUR REASON, DON'T JUST SAY "HEY R U THERE?"

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

The way IR works, the transmitter and receiver have to see each other. If you want it to operate through walls, you would want RF. The XERC is IR based, but there are some RF alternatives out there. Not designed specifically for the xbox, but ones you can plug into the wall.

#5 clueo8

clueo8

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

I noticed that in XBMC you can turn on a webserver and log into your xbox's ip from your computer (as long as your xbox and pc are on the same network) It lets you control media center and also power off the xbox.

Does any dashes support this network power off?

#6 northernp

northernp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:42 AM

I just did the wireless doorbell/chime mod and got a question. I mounted the reciever part under the dvd-rom and when I first tried it with the case back together. It worked powering on, but power off was touchy. So I soldered on a wire to the antenna and now the button barely works. I have to be real close to the xbox, so I opened up the case and had the extended wire out the side and its still doesnt work right. Anyone have experience with this? thanks, sorry if I hijacked the thread.

#7 Jintao

Jintao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:video games, computers, cars
  • 360 version:none

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:00 AM

yea...i'm having the same problem as northernp. i can power on the xbox from about 4 feet (which is fine, cause that's about as far away as i can get from it in my room tongue.gif ), but powering off i need to be about 3cm away. i used this tut for it. they didn't have the exact same model of doorbell, so i had to go with the SL-6150-RX model. they look exactly alike, cost exactly alike, and are basically...exactly alike. if anyone has any idea how to fix this w/o spending money on something else (really tight on money and am saving for a chip), please let me know. thanks in advance

oh yea...sorry to bump a semi-old thread, but i figured it wasn't very old and it would be better than starting a whole new one, since my topic was already mentioned wink.gif

Edited by Jintao, 21 June 2005 - 01:02 AM.

#8 Jintao

Jintao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

doh...man i feel stupid. i'm really good at searching for stuff, but i had a momentary lapse...found it!!! biggrin.gif

#9 Jintao

Jintao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:25 PM

ok...didn't help. i'll try to take/post pics later, but for now i'll try to explain my setup. for the stby and gnd power, i simply cut into the psu wires (just shaved off the coating...didn't hit the wire itself) and soldered straight into those, cause i couldn't get that "jam it in there" idea to work. the wire connected to the pcb goes thru the hole where the front panel's latch goes. i have just enuff wire so that i could mount the doorbell chip in back of the xbox next to the fan. i taped over all the solder joints on the back, so it wouldn't touch the metal shielding (just in case that would cause interference or something), and just taped it to the back. i then soldered a nice long wire to the antennae (sp) and ran it around the box to the front. i have it hanging outside the case rite now, and i stripped a tiny bit off the end so the coating wouldn't slow down the signal from the remote. i'm not sure if that wire is even carrying the current to the doorbell chip, because i have to actually be closer now, instead of the 4feet to turn on...it can turn off from across the xbox now tho biggrin.gif any ideas as to wut could be wrong ? as i said, i'll try to post pics later. camera's kinda dead rite now, but i think it works...thanks in advance.

#10 hedge

hedge

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

Not sure if it's the same but with RC cars (also RF) the length of the wire is quite important. The length of the wire changes the frequency as I understand it, so lengthening the antenna could make it worse. I don't know how to figure out how long it should be, I saw a calculator on an RC site once but that was some time ago and you'd have to know the frequency the remote works on.

Could you desolder the rf rceiver and antenna and mount it outside the shielding and then extend the wires to the receiver to the pcb?

I tried that doorbell thing and couldn't get it to work. My xbox is a 1.6 and it didn't have 3.3V standby (not enough current anyway) to drive it.

#11 Jintao

Jintao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:52 PM

hmmm...that's a really nifty idea...i'm gonna try to fit it inbetween the front panel and the shielding now (prolly best place: up front) and run the wiring thru the holes in the shielding, but if not i'll try putting it in the back of the box...
and i also have no idea wut frequency the receiver/remote work on, so the calculator won't help.
thanks for yer input tho...gave me a neat idea beerchug.gif

havn't gotten around to those pics yet. mom decided it's a good day to completely clean my room...we're having a yard sale sometime. the pics will prolly be up by...morning (?) tongue.gif

EDIT: if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. thanks

Edited by Jintao, 21 June 2005 - 11:53 PM.

#12 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:51 AM

just wondering if anyone had figured this out yet.

im working on mine and seem to be haveing the same problems as everyone else

#13 Jintao

Jintao

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:57 AM

i mounted mine in the back behind the dvd drive, and ran a wire from the antannae (sp) all the way around to the front. it didn't work. i just gave up. i want a wireless on/off so i wouldn't have ot get up to turn on/off the xbox, but all the work i was having to do just wouldn't have paid for itself. lol. i honestly believe this mod is a major waste of time and money dry.gif

#14 kelemvor

kelemvor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:39 PM

Well that sucks. Has anyone done this mod and had it work? I started this thread a while back but never got around to actually doing it yet. It's on my never ending To Do list.

But if everyone is having trouble with it, maybe I'll find some other way to do it if there is one. My main setup was going to be to have the XBox in the basement and have it hooked up to an RF Modulator so I can set it to a specific TV channel and have it merge into my cable TV signal. Then I can play XBox from any TV in the house with a wireless controller. But the whole on/off thing was the only main hold-up so I don't have go downstairs and turn it on manually.

#15 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

thats a pretty neat idea. not sure what kind of range you would get but nice idea.

im going to work on mounting it between the HD cradle and the front panel by removing some shielding

mine works fine right now (on and off) but its just sitting on top of my HD with the top off so not really a permanent solution. i can almost guarantee you its RFI coming off of the DVD drive.

Edited by lostboyz, 16 July 2005 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users