Photo

To Softmod With Hdd Upgrade? Or To Pay For Chip?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 microstar22

microstar22

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Xbox, PC Gaming, Ebaying for profit, Fixing just about anything
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:34 AM

Have a spare 80gb hdd, a brand new sealed in box xbox .. I think it is 1.6 or 1.6b.. I was going to use Krayzies Splinter Cell Installer to softmod it. I don't care out XBLive...just want to use it as a media center. Anyone give me a reason why I just dont softmod it and upgrade the hard drive? Or should I spend $80 to have it chipped locally? (my soldering skills are sub-par)..

how difficult would it be to softmod using krayzie-SC-autoinstaller with the upgraded 80gb seagate (seagate hdd is lockable)?

#2 triggernum5

triggernum5

X-S Messiah

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,655 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:44 AM

Most ppl in this forum will insist you blow $80.. I'm not most ppl..smile.gif

#3 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:47 AM

Krayzieís UXE package is the best out there (IMHO), and itís a breeze to use (provided you can get the hacked save files onto a memory card, which can be done many ways).

It also allows for super-easy switching of the mod on/off if you do decide to go on Live someday, and prevents Live enabled games for overwriting your mod. smile.gif

As far as upgrading your HDD, all you need is your HDD key/EEPROM, and a good read of the XboxHDM guide: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=332179

Edit Oh, the only reason I could recommend a hardmod over a softmod is for the ease in changing your main dash. If youíre happy with either Evox or UnleashX as your main dash, and XBMC as an application, then cool.

Note: Who in the hell is charging $80 for an install? That had better be a $60 dollar chip, or include the HDD...

Edited by Xombe, 24 May 2005 - 01:48 AM.

#4 microstar22

microstar22

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Xbox, PC Gaming, Ebaying for profit, Fixing just about anything
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:53 AM

I should also mention...

I already own an action replay, and an original copy of Splinter Cell... so for me the softmod would be free... I am pretty tech savy.. so I dont think it will be too hard for me to complete this task...

thanks for the links!

#5 Xombe

Xombe

X-S Xbox Xombe

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,198 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:56 AM

Ah, well if you already have the Action Replay, then youíre set.

Just make sure you use a good memory card so the gamesaves donít get corrupted (they sometimes tend to). Wonít harm anything; you just wonít get very far... wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users