#16 gamerguy999

gamerguy999

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Anyone thought about the fact that if you mod the XBOX360, it will be very likely that you will not be able to have it hooked up to your internet, as it will always be communicatiing with live, and I'm sure that they are going to have a lot of detection methods to make sure it's not modded.

So as soon as you stick in a chip(or softmod it) and connect it to your internet connection, BAM your banned from xbox live.

#17 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

One of the E3 articles (I forget which one, I've read so many) had shown some pictures of the back side of the removable hard drive and said that AS OF E3 MS was planning on using a standard 2.5" hard drive with a custom (smaller footprint) connector to interface with the rest of the console.

As for the space available on 2.5" form factor drives I've seen them available in 12, 20, 30, 40, 60, 73, 80, 100, and 120 GB sizes. typically costing about $1.50 - $2.00 per gig.

If and when the box is hacked and they determine the formatting and locking schemes (if they're even special) it would be very easy to hook up a 3.5" hard drive in place of a 2.5" hard drive... in which case you can get the bigger sizes and lower prices. It might be ugly looking but who cares if you can get a 250GB for $100 biggrin.gif

#18 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:08 AM

I agree, I'd rather be able to slide a a snug fitting standard size 200-400 GB drive in even if it doesn't look as pretty as what's intended. The flexiblity would be well worth it.

Hey GamerGuy I personally don't care about XBL it's a rip. It's prlly going to be more expensive than it is now, since the pricing options are going to be laid out in Silver and Gold options. Of course there'll probably be more expensive options, after all why stop at Gold.

There are plently of free options and tunnel software available for anyone to use modded or not which are a preferable alternative to XBL. I can meet up with my friends and whomever I wish to play, all they need is a modicum of knowledge, so go ahead and ban me from XBL I don't plan on paying for it anyway.

#19 ZakMcRofl

ZakMcRofl

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

If the kernel supports it you could just use an external HDD on the USB port.

And it'll obviously NOT be a 3,5'' drive since you couldn't fit it into the case we have seen smile.gif

#20 ninjax

ninjax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Custom case mod's<br />Aikido<br />paintball (2002 Autococker Tricked out)
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

I'll get a regular sized HDD stuffed into that SOB somewhere beerchug.gif

#21 lostboyz

lostboyz

Mr. Knowitall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(hairypottah @ May 31 2005, 11:19 PM)
    Hey GamerGuy I personally don't care about XBL it's a rip. It's prlly going to be more expensive than it is now, since the pricing options are going to be laid out in Silver and Gold options. Of course there'll probably be more expensive options, after all why stop at Gold.

View Post

a rip? silver is free, if you cant afford that.......

wont be more expensive as the xbox accounts carry over

i was a beta tester for xbl, got a modded xbox and really dont play that much, but its still fun for the price (if you do choose to pay)

#22 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:29 AM

Sure silver is free for non-backed up games, otherwise you only have all the other options for any game with system link capabilities.

Such as:

aquaduct
neXBC
xbconnect
XlinkKai

and last but not least Gamespy with XBOX tunnel which has nearly the same amount of users as XBL and requires just enough computer saavy to weed out most of the n00bs and ID10T5 that XBL is designed for in addition to everyone else.

That's too bad. . . sad.gif

Oh and also, virtually any other tunneling software with the right setup and expertise, or ability to RTFM.

Edited by hairypottah, 02 June 2005 - 03:30 AM.

#23 82ross

82ross

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(gamerguy999 @ May 31 2005, 05:04 PM)
Anyone thought about the fact that if you mod the XBOX360, it will be very likely that you will not be able to have it hooked up to your internet, as it will always be communicatiing with live, and I'm sure that they are going to have a lot of detection methods to make sure it's not modded.

So as soon as you stick in a chip(or softmod it) and connect it to your internet connection, BAM your banned from xbox live.

View Post

We cant really tell atm. Its pretty hard to detect a hardware modchip when its switched off isnt it. a 3.5 sata hdd when your mod is on and a stock 2.5 360 hdd for when its disabled would be great. USB would also be great.

#24 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(82ross @ Jun 2 2005, 04:45 PM)
We cant really tell atm...

View Post

That's right

Its pretty hard to detect a hardware modchip when its switched off isnt it...

View Post

No actually after Halo 2 there was a rash of people getting baned when MS was able to activate the d0 point through Live and turn on people's chips when while they were switched off dry.gif

a 3.5 sata hdd when your mod is on and a stock 2.5 360 hdd for when its disabled would be great. USB would also be great.

View Post

It'd be great if I could have one huge cheap hard drive and not worry about switching shit around laugh.gif

#25 hairypottah

hairypottah

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

Agreed.

#26 prankfurter

prankfurter

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:21 AM

i can just pic some cheap ass's mod... a 250gb 3.5" hooked up through an adapter and duck taped to the side of the 360

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users