#1 cdes

cdes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

Follow me here for a second.
We all know that one of the features of the X360 will be micro-transactions. That is to say that you will be able to develop content for your games and post them online for sale for small ammounts of $. Say you create a map in Timesplitters and share it for a cost of a nickel a download. But what good is this if you have to use the tools provided by a game DVD to begin with? Why would I buy a user created t-shirt when I could create my own? I guess if the cost were so low it would save me some trouble, but if you wanted to really push user created content you would allow open source development. Would I pay 5 cents for a user created character? Probably not. But would I pay $1 for the Homebrew StarWars game that's out there for the XBOX? I think I would. If youve been reading the interviews with the XBOX team you'll find that they have been deliberately trying to distance themselves from typical M$ design and business practices, what better way to foster this mentality than by releasing an open source development kit?

Now I know you're all wondering what this has to do with emulation. Think about it... One of X360s competitors, the Nintendo Revolution, is boasting that you will be able to play any NES, SNES, N64 or Gamecube game on its latest system. How many of you snickered when you read that press release? Most of you are already playing every NES, SNES and N64 game ever made not just the ones developed by Nintendo. If M$ would make an open source development kit and we were able to release our emulators on the general public like we can in the PC community then it would certainly take a lot of wind out of Revolution's sails.

This idea will probably never see the light of day, but if we were to make it happen how would we get there? I think J Allard would be the one we would have to convice, but how do we as the anonymous public get even 5 minutes of his time? Any ideas?

#2 Tulius

Tulius

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:22 PM

ph34r.gif Humm... A closed full SDK exclusively for autorized developers and a second limited SDK for open source developments would be ideal, and could make modchips unnecessary for emulators and homebrew games (but not for commercial games)......but this is like dream that problably never will happen ph34r.gif

#3 Thraxen

Thraxen

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Now I know you're all wondering what this has to do with emulation. Think about it... One of X360s competitors, the Nintendo Revolution, is boasting that you will be able to play any NES, SNES, N64 or Gamecube game on its latest system. How many of you snickered when you read that press release? Most of you are already playing every NES, SNES and N64 game ever made not just the ones developed by Nintendo. If M$ would make an open source development kit and we were able to release our emulators on the general public like we can in the PC community then it would certainly take a lot of wind out of Revolution's sails.

Sounds great, but it will never happen. MS can't willingly allow emulators without coming under legal pressure. The difference between what Nintendo is doing and what you described is that Nintendo has the legal right to do whatever they want with their own games. MS can't officially support emulators because of the legal issues surrounding ROMS.

#4 cdes

cdes

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Thraxen @ May 31 2005, 08:44 PM)
Sounds great, but it will never happen.  MS can't willingly allow emulators without coming under legal pressure.  The difference between what  Nintendo is doing and what you described is that Nintendo has the legal right to do whatever they want with their own games.  MS can't officially support emulators because of the legal issues surrounding ROMS.

View Post

Here's the thing though - MS wouldnt legally be supporting emulators. How many PC emulators are written right now using Visual Studio? Probably quite a few. Is MS held responsible? no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users