10 replies to this topic

#1 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:22 PM

Hi,

Bought a new shiny WGE111 to slap in the back of my xbox to enable wireless. If I put a cable from the xbox to my router (wgt624), XBMC works like a dream.

However, when I go wireless, the WGE111 can see my PC etc. and it can be pinged OK from my main machine, but FTP, Samba etc dont work. It's as if it doesnt have permissions, but IS on the network.

Is my router causing this? And if so any ideas what I need to change?

Thanks in advance!

#2 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

i recently purchased the wge111 (nice little piece of hardware smile.gif) and i have had no issues with xbmc.

just make sure network settings are set to automatic in xbmc, and permit your xbox's MAC address on your router if you use MAC filtering (as its devices connected to the WGE111 that need permission).

btw do you get the news feed at the bottom of the main menu of xbmc when connected wirelessly? if so then its connected fine.

#3 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Jun 1 2005, 09:51 PM)
i recently purchased the wge111 (nice little piece of hardware smile.gif) and i have had no issues with xbmc.

just make sure network settings are set to automatic in xbmc, and permit your xbox's MAC address on your router if you use MAC filtering (as its devices connected to the WGE111 that need permission).

btw do you get the news feed at the bottom of the main menu of xbmc when connected wirelessly? if so then its connected fine.

View Post

Hmmm.

It's set up:

Router 192.168.0.1
PC 192.168.0.2
Xbox (and WGE111) 192.168.0.3

PC can ping both Xbox and router so it appears it's on the network OK, however I cant access shares or FTP.

If I slap a cable into the Xbox and router, then all is well and good - so it has to be the WGE111 or some wireless setting on the router. As far as I can tell, no security is enabled on the router. Grrrrrr.

#4 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(HullJim @ Jun 1 2005, 10:03 PM)
Hmmm.

It's set up:

Router 192.168.0.1
PC 192.168.0.2
Xbox (and WGE111) 192.168.0.3

PC can ping both Xbox and router so it appears it's on the network OK, however I cant access shares or FTP.

If I slap a cable into the Xbox and router, then all is well and good - so it has to be the WGE111 or some wireless setting on the router. As far as I can tell, no security is enabled on the router. Grrrrrr.

View Post

try logging into the bridge manually through your web brwoser, i think the default IP address for the bridge is 192.168.0.202, user=admin password=password. check the wireless conection settings. also make sure that the bridge is set to internet and not adhoc mode (a little switch on the back on the device)

hope that helps

#5 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Jun 1 2005, 10:16 PM)
try logging into the bridge manually through your web brwoser, i think the default IP address for the bridge is 192.168.0.202, user=admin password=password. check the wireless conection settings. also make sure that the bridge is set to internet and not adhoc mode (a little switch on the back on the device)

hope that helps

View Post

I've changed the IP address on the bridge to 192.168.0.3 - I can see this fine through the browser. Switch is in the default mode - it's on the network OK. Just think something on the router must be stopping it somehow......

Help appreciated - got any more?!?

I think the mac address might have something to do with it.....
On my router there are two mac addresses connected and neither is the one that EvoX is telling me. However, I cant see a way of adding a mac address to this list - it's a read only list.

Edited by HullJim, 01 June 2005 - 10:51 PM.

#6 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

The MAC address does have something to do with it.........

If the MAC address of the xbox is not on your access list (assuming you use MAC filtering) then it will not permit it access to the router. You will have to find this part in the router configuration, its often under 'Wireless settings' or configuration, or something like that. Allow both the bridge and all devices connected to it access.

The IP of the bridge is irrelevant, change it back to 192.168.0.202 to prevent DHCP conflicts with other devices on the network.

Again make sure it is set to 'internet' on the back of the bridge.

If you do not get the news feed in xbmc then it is NOT connected properly.

Make sure in xbmc's network settings it is set to DHCP and make sure that your router is set to DHCP (if it supports it).

Important - DO NOT set your bridge to DHCP, leave the bridge as Static and leave the IP at its default 192.168.0.202 address.

In the bridge configuration, check to see if it can detect your wireless network, and select it. It is under 'Wireless Networks Available'. Go into 'Infrastructure Wireless Settings' and make sure that it is configured properly.

If all fails, try updating the bridge's firmware, its available at the Netgear website.

Good luck wink.gif

P.S After trying all of the above restart all devices, sometimes a restart is all that's needed.

Edited by total_ass, 02 June 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#7 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:06 AM

Legend!

Cheers for that I'll try that when I get home from work......I shall report back!

#8 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(total_ass @ Jun 2 2005, 10:16 AM)
The MAC address does have something to do with it.........

If the MAC address of the xbox is not on your access list (assuming you use MAC filtering) then it will not permit it access to the router. You will have to find this part in the router configuration, its often under 'Wireless settings' or configuration, or something like that. Allow both the bridge and all devices connected to it access.

The IP of the bridge is irrelevant, change it back to 192.168.0.202 to prevent DHCP conflicts with other devices on the network.

Again make sure it is set to 'internet' on the back of the bridge.

If you do not get the news feed in xbmc then it is NOT connected properly.

Make sure in xbmc's network settings it is set to DHCP and make sure that your router is set to DHCP (if it supports it).

Important - DO NOT set your bridge to DHCP, leave the bridge as Static and leave the IP at its default 192.168.0.202 address.

In the bridge configuration, check to see if it can detect your wireless network, and select it. It is under 'Wireless Networks Available'. Go into 'Infrastructure Wireless Settings' and make sure that it is configured properly.

If all fails, try updating the bridge's firmware, its available at the Netgear website.

Good luck wink.gif

P.S After trying all of the above restart all devices, sometimes a restart is all that's needed.

View Post

Thinking about it then, how would I FTP? Which IP would be needed to FTP to the box? I'm guessing I'd have to check the IP and then FTP in as the IP could change?

Sorry for being a pain in the arse!

#9 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(HullJim @ Jun 2 2005, 11:26 AM)
Thinking about it then, how would I FTP? Which IP would be needed to FTP to the box? I'm guessing I'd have to check the IP and then FTP in as the IP could change?

Sorry for being a pain in the arse!

View Post

the IP would change whenever the IP lease on your network expires. the time for this varies and is dependant on your router settings. whenever the lease expires your router will reassign each device a new IP when it connects.

192.168.0.1 is the router. so all devices connected to it will probably start with 192.168.0.2 and upwards, each time a device connects for the first time it will be assigned an IP that it usually one digit higher than the previous.

so lets say for example that you have a PC connected that is set to DHCP, your router will assign it 192.160.0.2, then if another pc connects it will be assigned 192.168.0.3, then if the xbox connects it will be assigned 0.4 and so on and so forth.

either way once the xbox is properly connected and setup the router will tell you the IPs of devices connected to it so just check that frequently.

Edited by total_ass, 02 June 2005 - 03:40 PM.

#10 HullJim

HullJim

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:55 PM

Fantastic!!

Only problem I'm getting now is in the FTP - "directory listing could not be retrieved" - but I'm streaming 24 as we speak!!

Any ideas what could be causing the FTP problem?

By the way - thanks!

#11 total_ass

total_ass

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

find out the IP address of the xbox through your router. again make sure xbmc is set to DHCP.

try the username: xbox and password: xbox.

i believe they are the default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users