the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

Look.

For all of you out there who are to cheap to buy a computer and download WIndows XP from the net and put it on a pc at home

Windows can never be ported, and if it did it would be slow as hell. Have you ever tried to install on a Pentium 2 with 64MB? I use pro, and it wont even install because it complains.

If you used XPLite maybe you could do an install, bu whats really the point? All i hear is random ass ideas in this forum. Well if we strip down ther kernel.... Well if we modify a bios...... BLAH BLAH. None of you have the resources to even modify the XP code, and thats if you can even get your hands on it!

And the people who do want to do it, they just, dont want to. Linux on the XBOX is good enough. Im sure someone has come up with this lame ass idead before when the xbox originally got hacked. 5 years later, where are you now? NOWHERE. You can talk all you want, come up with all the ideas you want, but you can never get XP running on the xbox efficiently, ever. XP on a 64 MB computer isnt even worht running. If you do get it running 2 or 3 million years from now, congrats. You'll probably have stripped XP so bare, that it will just be eyecandy and it wont do anything, not to mention how slow it would be.

Now some geek is going to post about how windows is better than linux and so on and so forth. Then im going to say, go get "go get laid you computer geek" and he is gonna get mad and go to his room and jack off and take a nap.

Oh yeah, settle for linux its the shit. Forgot to mention that.

#2 WaTTz

WaTTz

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

speeking of linux.. i like it much better for the xbox than any other port of an os.. i tried em all.. this man knows what hes talking bout.. linux is the ShiZnIt !

#3 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 01:56 AM

those who know how to hack sees no reason for Windows(on Xbox) as linux is a much better alternative, those who don't know how to hack can keep on coming out with ideas(CE, XPE you name it) but like you said, it will never happen ;-)

BTW, there is a fully ported and supported Windows on Xbox, the original BIOS + the libraries used by all those games :-)

#4 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:34 AM

There's something really funny about people like you: A. You always say USE LINUX!!!!11!!!1 and B. You never factor in the fact that the resolutions are heaps smaller when using Windows on a TV, unless you use HDTV, and C. What the hell is with the argument 'If you run windows on the Xbox, your too cheap to buy a PC and download a pirate copy of XP. WELL, HERE'S SOME NEWS FOR YOU: IF YOU USE LINUX ON THE XBOX, HOW COME IT DOESN'T MEAN YOUR TOO CHEAP TO BUY A PC AND DOWNLOAD LINUX?.

Also, we're talking about a 700mhz Pentium Celleron here, not a 233mhz pentium 2.

Here's whated happen if windows XP was ported:

Themes would be turned off to save about 15 mb
Most of the unneeded network crap: Off.
The resoloutions: 320 to about 640 max, a lot less strain on the GPU.
And lots more. Most of the stuff in Windows XP is legacy driver crap. You don't need all those old legacy serial/parralel port drivers taking up half your memory if you don't have any ports, do you? In fact, all you'd need is some custom drivers for memory, GPU and PCI BUS and bam: another step closer to Windows on Xbox.

So basically: **** off, post your crap in the Linux forum, and realise this: WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT LINUX FANBOYS WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERYTHING! IF YOU THINK WINDOWS XP CAN'T BE PORTED, PROVE IT!

You've really made my day.

Mods, delete this topic. It's not relevant to this forum.

That is all.

#5 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

You know why your getting anfry right? Because you know im right lmao.

Im not to cheap to buy a pc, i have 3 infact. I run linux because its available and even then it can be slow at time, and linux is way faster than windows. And what the hell are you babeling bout? The resolution in linu is fine, you thikn it would be better in windows

*POINTS AND LAUGHS AT NETDROID*

Who do you think is going to reverse engineer a NVidia driver for windows? No one.

Stop kidding yourself

#6 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

this topic should be pinned as it every new comer asking about Windows XP on Xbox should read it first ;-)

#7 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

No, they'd do it the sensible way, and pass the commands dirrectly onto the BIOS, thereby eliminating compatability issues with new Xboxs. And I wasn't saying your too cheap. What I'm saying is, how come it's not cheep to run linux on the xbox, while it is to BUY a copy of windows XP and run it on your Xbox? By that logic it's cheep to run linux on your Xbox too, because that also runs on a computer.

What I meant by lower resolutions was simple: Your TV won't normally display resoloutions over 320x240(Or whatever the second number is, I can never remember), unless it's HDTV. And Isn't the maximum on a HDTV running an Xbox 800x600? Then there shouldn't be much problems with the graphics card.

Also, as I said, there's plenty of ram if you get rid off the crap, like themes, legacy driver support, network administration crap that no-one'd use to connect an Xbox to a network, etc.

Like I said earlier: Mods, delete this topic. The_devil73, stop trying to provoke people, why don't you do something helpful and learn a programing language. If you have, why don't you help get windows running on the Xbox. If you aren't interested in windows on the Xbox, then why are you posting a topic in a forum dedicated to windows on the Xbox. I'm sure you must have SOMETHING better to do.

Edited by netdroid9, 03 June 2005 - 02:06 PM.

#8 The Zep Man

The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

First things first: I'm not a Linux-fanboy, nor a Windows-fanboy. Both OS have their pro's and con's. Therefore, whenever I say anything bad about one of them doesn't mean I favor the other one.

Windows can never be ported, and if it did it would be slow as hell. Have you ever tried to install on a Pentium 2 with 64MB? I use pro, and it wont even install because it complains.
Windows could be ported. However, the number one rule of porting programs or games (like you can read in the homebrew section) is that you need the source code. No source == no port, and I doubt MS would even consider it. biggrin.gif

And Windows can be installed on a P233 with 32MB RAM (maybe even lower). An extra config-file on the CD can make a miracle.

#9 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

Your right! Ihave windows ME running on a Cyrix 6x86

I meant to say Windows XP. Windows ME, 98, and 95 are running via linux. But XP running in our lifetimes on an xbox, nahh. But in reality, who here really thinks that XP will be fast on a 64 MB celeron?

#10 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

You'd probably need the sourcecode to port it to another arcitecture, but the xbox is essentially a PC with some screwed up hardware. Stop windows from doing stuff the hardware doesn't like by, say, custom drivers or the like and it might work properly. I don't have any documentation on drivers, so I wouldn't know if any of my ideas'd work. And yeah, standard XP'll suck on a celleron Well, probably moreso on an Xbox celleron, I read they had crappy 128kb caches. Doesn't mean it'll never work in this lifetime. Of course you could try for one of those embedded distros, they might work decently.

But seeing as the Xbox360's comming out later this year I suppose there'll be more people interested in Mac on Xbox360 rather than Windows on Xbox.

#11 weeder

weeder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

xboxes can be upgraded to 128MB of ram if anyone didnt know and friendtech will fit a 1.4Ghz P3 now a custom bios like linux did with cromwell and such but i agree sourcecode would be the easiest way to port it now maybe after searchin lotsa p2p places you might find it and thats a very small might but if it was found images the stuff we could do and we could even lower the ram usage by cuttin out more shite

#12 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:56 AM

You know, they are coming out with Windows XP N very soon. It's basically a slimmed-down version of XP that will run on older computers.

#13 weeder

weeder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:04 AM

tht would be nice to port and o yeh some win2000 source code was leaked a while ago

#14 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(weeder @ Jun 11 2005, 01:15 PM)
tht would be nice to port and o yeh some win2000 source code was leaked a while ago

View Post

Not enough to port it.

M$ isn't stupid. No-one, not even the devs, are allowed to access all the source code. That's excluding some high level devs with more stocks in the company than you can poke a stick at.

#15 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(netdroid9 @ Jun 13 2005, 06:47 AM)
Not enough to port it.

M$ isn't stupid. No-one, not even the devs, are allowed to access all the source code. That's excluding some high level devs with more stocks in the company than you can poke a stick at.

View Post

Um, interesting claim, does it mean I know someone one so high level ? He doesn't feel he is ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users