The Zep Man

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(edwinmcdunlap @ Jun 11 2005, 04:07 AM)
You know, they are coming out with Windows XP N very soon. It's basically a slimmed-down version of XP that will run on older computers.

View Post

Old, but...

Windows XP N is for Europe. The only difference with Windows XP is that there is no Windows Media Player included. There are no other changes! It also has SP2 incorporated in it.

Seeing as it is just as expensive as Windows XP Professional (regular), almost nobody will bother to buy it. With programs like nLite, one can already strip wmplayer from Windows XP.

#17 umdebaba

umdebaba

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(the_devil73 @ Jun 2 2005, 01:11 AM)
Look.
For all of you out there who are to cheap to buy a computer and download WIndows XP from the net and put it on a pc at home

Windows can never be ported, and if it did it would be slow as hell. Have you ever tried to install on a Pentium 2 with 64MB? I use pro, and it wont even install because it complains.

If you used XPLite maybe you could do an install, bu whats really the point? All i hear is random ass ideas in this forum. Well if we strip down ther kernel.... Well if we modify a bios...... BLAH BLAH. None of you have the resources to even modify the XP code, and thats if you can even get your hands on it!

And the people who do want to do it, they just, dont want to. Linux on the XBOX is good enough. Im sure someone has come up with this lame ass idead before when the xbox originally got hacked. 5 years later, where are you now? NOWHERE. You can talk all you want, come up with all the ideas you want, but you can never get XP running on the xbox efficiently, ever. XP on a 64 MB computer isnt even worht running. If you do get it running 2 or 3 million years from now, congrats. You'll probably have stripped XP so bare, that it will just be eyecandy and it wont do anything, not to mention how slow it would be.

Now some geek is going to post about how windows is better than linux and so on and so forth. Then im going to say, go get "go get laid you computer geek" and he is gonna get mad and go to his room and jack off and take a nap.

Oh yeah, settle for linux its the shit. Forgot to mention that.

View Post

You sir, are stupid. What is the point of running Linux on Xbox? Nothing. Omg run a http server or run a CS server. The processing power on the Xbox sucks ass anyway you won't be able to run anything efficiently. You say to cheap to buy a computer and download windows? You can get a computer system for alot less than an xbox running Linux (which is free). Obviously people have some money to spend if they have a modded xbox. Wow big deal you have 3 computers pftt. You can go to Walmart and get three E-machines for $600 Mr. Big Spender. It is just as easy to install and configure XP to do the same with Linux. If not more difficult on Linux. (Enter Suse and Mandrake recommendations from you). Of course XP can't be ported numbnuts, it is closed - source. There is no good purpose for running any OS on Xbox and your efficiency argument also applies for linux. Go get laid you wanna be computer geek. Who cares if XP can or can't be ported, it won't be able to do anything anyway just like linux on xbox can't be run to do anything remotely good.

#18 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE(umdebaba @ Jun 15 2005, 12:55 AM)
You sir, are stupid. What is the point of running Linux on Xbox? Nothing. Omg run a http server or run a CS server. The processing power on the Xbox sucks ass anyway you won't be able to run anything efficiently. You say to cheap to buy a computer and download windows? You can get a computer system for alot less than an xbox running Linux (which is free). Obviously people have some money to spend if they have a modded xbox. Wow big deal you have 3 computers pftt. You can go to Walmart and get three E-machines for $600 Mr. Big Spender. It is just as easy to install and configure XP to do the same with Linux. If not more difficult on Linux. (Enter Suse and Mandrake recommendations from you). Of course XP can't be ported numbnuts, it is closed - source. There is no good purpose for running any OS on Xbox and your efficiency argument also applies for linux. Go get laid you wanna be computer geek. Who cares if XP can or can't be ported, it won't be able to do anything anyway just like linux on xbox can't be run to do anything remotely good.

View Post

First, quite some people care about if XP can be ported or there won't be people coming here asking for it constantly :-)

As for why running linux on Xbox, there can be a number of apps.

I used it as a freevo machine. This allows me to watch DVD or other MPEG/WMV files on my big TV rather than the monitor of a PC. I paid 100 US for the Xbox and add another 80G HD for 50 bucks. That is 150. XP license alone cost that much. I also installed samba on it so I can drop torrent files there and have programs automatically pick them up and download at the background on xbox. It also serves as a very nice home file server.

Xbox has also the added benefit that it is not powerful, thus very quiet. This is very hard to beat using PC. There are very quiet PC, but definitely not e-machine class(and price). Another advantage of Xbox is it sucks very few power(comparing to a typical home PC), it may not be important to you but I want to save a bit of it(both the pocket and the environment).

Of course, you have a point that the benefit of Xbox running linux is diminishing(I intend to buy a mac mini for the same purpose which is a bit more expensive but much more powerful) but saying linux on xbox has no point seems a bit too much.

#19 weeder

weeder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

i think i know something that might work...........right on the xbox linux main page it shows howto install fedora core so maybe we could do the same thing for xp????????

#20 Flame2k

Flame2k

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

who said anyone was trying to port xp onto xbox anyway?

xbox windows project was trying to run either CE or Xpe.

Personally i dont think windows xp will ever appear on the xbox. When the 360 comes out, it might work if its emulated, but not native cos its not x86.

#21 netdroid9

netdroid9

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:53 AM

When the 360 is out I'll be more interested if Mac OS X'll run on it wink.gif.

#22 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:11 AM

Mac OS X ? Or you mean Darwin ?

#23 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(umdebaba @ Jun 15 2005, 12:55 AM)

View Post

Im not going to dignify you by coming back on this, loser. Becasue not everyone who buys an xbox has tons of money. What it the person is younger than me or you? what if he is sixteen and can only afford the bare minimum. And i wasnt tryong to show off. and emachines at walmart are 400 dollars lol. Calm down, you loser. You were just trying to find something to do on friday while everyone was partying so you decided to post when you had nothing beter to do. So instead of getting mad, keep your dumb ass, ignorant ass, redneck ass, dont-know-shit-about-shit ass, trippin-on-some-dumb-shit ass comments to yourself.

Thank you smile.gif

Sorry for the late reply, been buisy with things (you know other than x-s forums right chimpanzee)

Edited by the_devil73, 20 June 2005 - 11:31 AM.

#24 xmelon

xmelon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:40 AM

I wouldnt put anyone down because of their ideas. I know it seems impossible. But who said it isnt possible? Who has proven that point? There are many theories as to doing this. The person who ported Windows CE to xbox added in his ReadMe:

Ok, so, CE.NET is a nifty toy, and all... but can we put REAL Windows on the
xbox?  Like Windows XP?
   Well, yes and no.
   This topic has been beaten to death over time, but... I'll add a little to
the discussion.
   There is an embeddable version of Windows XP called "XP eMbedded" or XPe.  It
has been said time and time again that the Windows kernel will not boot without
a BIOS.  This is true of MOST Windows kernels, but only because their lower
level functions are coded against a standard PC, and we don't have the source,
obviously.  With XPe, WE can provide the lower level functions ourselves, in a
custom BSP, and build a custom bootloader.  Preliminary experimentation shows
that this WILL work, it will just take a lot of effort.  Better to get the "Toy"
OS up and running first, and then apply what we learn along the way to the big
bad.

Now, people want to explore, try things, try their ideas. Dont try to tell everyone right away it aint gonna work. Personally, I think it would be neat. But X-DSL is good enough for me. I aint probably as smart as you guys on this stuff, but I'm just stating my opinion. As has everyone else in this thread.

But, if you just want to run a Windows only application on the xbox, get wine. That way you can use it in Linux.

Edited by xmelon, 21 June 2005 - 12:44 AM.

#25 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

In gentoo wine works wseet, but i cant get it to output sound. I wanted to use WinAMP and it wouldn't give me sound. I t would give me an error.

Then i ran epsxe. It ran but troublesome. Little did i know there was one for linux lol.

Windows can be ran through xDSL or Gentoo (when you stripp down the startup things)

#26 xmelon

xmelon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:08 PM

I couldn't get wine to output sound either. I also tried WinAMP in Knoppix 3.8.1. There is also a PSX emulator for xbox..its called PCSXbox.

#27 the_devil73

the_devil73

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(xmelon @ Jun 21 2005, 02:19 PM)
I couldn't get wine to output sound either. I also tried WinAMP in Knoppix 3.8.1. There is also a PSX emulator for xbox..its called PCSXbox.

View Post

It horrible, it freezes allot, and it dosent display the fighting menu correctly in FFIX

ePSXe works fine in Gentoo with Cyberpad joypad plugin with joydev module. the only thing i dont like about it is that emucheater dosent work on it

#28 trey85stang

trey85stang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(the_devil73 @ Jun 2 2005, 01:11 AM)
Oh yeah, settle for linux its the shit. Forgot to mention that.

View Post

windows is for the weak... amen for linux :cool:

#29 trey85stang

trey85stang

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(chimpanzee @ Jun 15 2005, 08:27 AM)
First, quite some people care about if XP can be ported or there won't be people coming here asking for it constantly :-)

As for why running linux on Xbox, there can be a number of apps.

I used it as a freevo machine. This allows me to watch DVD or other MPEG/WMV files on my big TV rather than the monitor of a PC.  I paid 100 US for the Xbox and add another 80G HD for 50 bucks. That is 150. XP license alone cost that much. I also installed samba on it so I can drop torrent files there and have programs automatically pick them up and download at the background on xbox. It also serves as a very nice home file server.

Xbox has also the added benefit that it is not powerful, thus very quiet. This is very hard to beat using PC. There are very quiet PC, but definitely not e-machine class(and price). Another advantage of Xbox is it sucks very few power(comparing to a typical home PC), it may not be important to you but I want to save a bit of it(both the pocket and the environment).

Of course, you have a point that the benefit of Xbox running linux is diminishing(I intend to buy a mac mini for the same purpose which is a bit more expensive but much more powerful) but saying linux on xbox has no point seems a bit too much.

View Post

can you give me a link for freevo on an xbox smile.gif

#30 chimpanzee

chimpanzee

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:52 AM

my freevo is not specifically for xbox.

It is plain debian sarge + freevo. All from the official locations. A google on freevo would bring you to freevo site, like wise for debian.

It is a 500M loopback installed sarge that contains all the necessary apps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users