#1 mrpowerbook345

mrpowerbook345

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:10 AM

it smoekd up and im not sure if it still runs.. let me explain

it all started when the switch stopped working, it wouldnt go into retail mode. i carefully resoldered the wires to the switch, never once removing the motherboard, still no difference. i have a hunch that the ground wire is disconnected at the bottom and to test this, i take a wire, secure it to a screw for grounding, and connected it to another wire coming from under the motherboard.

this is when shit happens

it starts to smoke, and the wire coming from the underside of the motherboard looks fried. i dont know what is damaged, i immedietly turned off the xbox, unplugged the power, and its sitting now. what should i do???

would it be safe to try turning it on again? or could that only do more damage? what could of happened???

#2 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:37 AM

spounds liek you strapped the wrong wire to the ground screw (3.3v instead of ground)

ive done it before, it egenrally just burns the wire and nothign esle, take the motherbaord out, probably replace all the wires and give it another go

#3 mrpowerbook345

mrpowerbook345

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:51 AM

ok well i disconnected the wiers and turned it on, and of course it fragged. then i tried connecting a19 to either one of the other wires and it still fragged. also the trace on the motherboard leading from a19 is burned. is it possible that my mistake may have distroyed the trace, and by installing a jumper i can get it working again? if worse comes to worse it's going to be sold for parts

#4 mrpowerbook345

mrpowerbook345

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:12 AM

ok turns out his dad ripped out the trace going to a19, so of course it'll frag no matter what. now im hoping that i can repair the trace, then get it working the way it was. any chance that this is still salvageable? could a modchip be a solution?

#5 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:57 AM

a modchip will get it booting, but im sure a19 is also repairable, im no repair expert though, theres a few posts formt eh past week or so that show alternate a19 points (one on the top of the motherboard, and one leg of the TSOP)

#6 mrpowerbook345

mrpowerbook345

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

so you are confident that when he made the board smoke by touching a ground wire to something, that it didnt do any permanent damage? if so then repairing the a19 track then redoing the switch should work fine right?

#7 Blank

Blank

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Gaming, HTML/Webpage Design, Programming, and Electronics
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(mrpowerbook345 @ Jun 3 2005, 03:41 AM)
so you are confident that when he made the board smoke by touching a ground wire to something, that it didnt do any permanent damage? if so then repairing the a19 track then redoing the switch should work fine right?

View Post

You have nothing to lose going for it... If you can't repair the a19 trace, install a permimant lpc chip and you won't have to worry about fragging (a19 is only needed for the tsop).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users