• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GameMaster90

GameMaster90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hello all, this is my first post here. My name is GameMaster90, I usually visit the GTAforums, but I am in desperate need of help, so I was re-directed from a friend to visit here.

Ok, I recently purchased an Xbox off of eBay (Care to look at it? Here) and I want to mod it. I want to install a new harddrive on it, morethanlikely a 60 GB Western Digital. But I need to know how. Next, I want to back up my games onto the harddrive. How is that done?

So, if someone could give me a list of everything that I need, from tools to mods that I need, please list them here. I would greatly appreciate any help.

P.S.
Yes, I read the message above the forum, but I just want to make sure from the experts that I get everything I need.

#2 seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

before you can do the HD thing and backup, you'll have to decide what to do: modchip, softmod, etc.
don't know much about softmod, as ive only done chips.
then you'll be able do the HD thing and backup

#3 Jtech|I

Jtech|I

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Ok, well first off you'll either need to have a softmod, tsop flash, or chip. I myself prefer a chip... and if you're looking for something as cheap as possible, I'd suggest the Duox2. Very good chip and very cheap here in the BST forum. The install instructions can be found here: http://duomodchip.com. Once it is installed correctly it will need to be flashed with a hacked bios, that will allow you to run homebrew apps, backups, etc... You will need to get either the x2 4981, 4983, or 5032 bios from '"xbins" (search for it on google) and if possible flash via network. Lots easier and faster. Then Dl Slayers Auto Installer, which you can check out in xbins, burn it to a disc and format/install the dash (menu) and different apps. Including dvd2xbox which you will use to backup your games to the HD and you're set.

Edited by Jtech|I, 03 June 2005 - 05:57 PM.

#4 GameMaster90

GameMaster90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, but I want to explore my options, what about softmod? Is it easier to install than a chip? Cheaper? How is it installed? Why do most prefer chips? Thanks.

#5 Ex-CON

Ex-CON

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

take some time to look through the Softmod tutorials and dont forget to look at the chip makers website to see their isntall guides for chips. Then decide what would be better for you and how do you rate yourself at soldering. Open up the xbox and check it out if you are up to the task. I personally go for the chip. A lot more reliable then a softmod if something where ever to f'up.

Ex-CON

#6 Jtech|I

Jtech|I

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:49 PM

Alot of ppl do prefer softmods over chips, but I myself started off with chips and just like them more. Especially when you have an X3 that is able to do things a softmod cannot do. I'm not really into softmods and I don't know much about them, but I do know they are cheaper to do and don't require you to void your warranty by opening the xbox. I'd also say it is easier to install, but I know if you make a mistake it can easily mess up the xbox and require you to chip it to fix it. Like I said before I don't know much about softmods though... I'd check out the No-Modchip Hacks Forums for more info.

#7 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(GameMaster90 @ Jun 3 2005, 11:51 PM)
Thanks for the replies, but I want to explore my options, what about softmod? Is it easier to install than a chip? Cheaper? How is it installed? Why do most prefer chips? Thanks.

View Post

Depends whether you've installed a chip before..

It's certainly less dangerous to install if you've never installed a chip.

Cheaper? It's pretty much free (appart from a few things)

It uses a hacked gamesave, when this hacked game save for either 007, Splinter Cell, or Mech Assault, is loaded, it runs the installer for the softmod.

Most prefer chips for a lot of different reasons. Some people are weird and think people are too cheap to get a chip. But basically modchips are easier to go on live (an exception is coldbooting a game).

But TSOP flashing has all the benifits of a modchip, without a modchip.

There are many ways to go, it all depends what you want. I can't go into depth without knowing which path would be best for you.

I'd recomend a chip (most likely solderless)? As you're new to this, installing a softmod/larger hard drive would be a lot of work for someone like yourself.

A chip and slayer's is all you need and you're on your way!

#8 Jtech|I

Jtech|I

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

I do think if you get a chip it should be soldered in. Even if you get someone else to do it in the end it will be the best choice. Once it's soldered in, you're set and won't have to be realigning it if you used an adapter. Check out the Modchip Installer Forum for an installer in your area. Other then that I do agree with Winchy about everything. Thanks

#9 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:06 PM

Yeah, the best thing is to get it soldered.

If you can get someone to install a chip for you it would be ideal.

If you got a softmod, you would need to install a softmod onto your retail hard drive, then ftp your C and E folders to your computer and have a back up of you EEPROM, then make an xbhdm CD and then put the C and E folders on your new drive, then lock it with the EEPROM. Then you would have to ftp and delete the E drive and ftp it back (due to a bug in the linux kernal making the E folder read only, which can mess up gamesaves in the long run).

And I doubt you want to do all of that do you? tongue.gif

If you get a modchip, then if you could get someone to install it (or use a solderless adapter as a last resort), then use Slayer's and simply install everything onto it, you don't even need it locked (unless for example you want to play on live).

And also, if you go for a softmod, you can play games on live by coldbooting them, which does not load the hacked files. But I wouldn't wana risk that personally.

#10 GameMaster90

GameMaster90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

I have vast computer knowledge, so pretty much anything that's software/hardware related I can pretty much handle. I know how to flash, format, network, all that.

It's just modding the Xbox itself that I am worried about.

So, in your opinion, what would be the most efficient chip to get. (I don't care much for Xbox Live, since I'm on dialup.) And, direct me to some tutorials that go with it.

BTW, thanks for all of you who have helped me, I greatly appreciate it.

#11 ninjax

ninjax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Interests:Custom case mod's<br />Aikido<br />paintball (2002 Autococker Tricked out)
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:11 AM

QUOTE(GameMaster90 @ Jun 3 2005, 09:16 PM)
I have vast computer knowledge, so pretty much anything that's software/hardware related I can pretty much handle. I know how to flash, format, network, all that.

It's just modding the Xbox itself that I am worried about.

So, in your opinion, what would be the most efficient chip to get. (I don't care much for Xbox Live, since I'm on dialup.) And, direct me to some tutorials that go with it.

BTW, thanks for all of you who have helped me, I greatly appreciate it.

View Post

The Xecuter3 (X3), and the Xenium Ice are the biggest hitters. I like the Xenium because of the on board operating system
X3 INSTRUCTIONS
Xenium INSTRUCTIONS
beerchug.gif

#12 gamesdude137

gamesdude137

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

if your willing to spend the money maybe an X3 or a Xenium Spice would work. if you want to save some money X2.6 and Duox2 also work very well.

#13 Jtech|I

Jtech|I

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 12:21 AM

I agree with gamesdude. If money isn't a problem definately get an X3... Full of features and just an all around good chip. If not, the X2.6 is a great choice as well as the Duox2 which I explained earlier.

#14 Winchy

Winchy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

I'd personally go for Xecuter 2.6...

If I bought a X3, I'd find myself buying the control pannel with lcd and everything else.. (Not cheap stuff if you don't have the money for it all (being a 16 year old kid, I don't have the money for it all)

I have an X2.6 as it is (and a softmod which I'm putting a 2.6 in) and it works to my needs fine, I don't need all the extra features.

#15 GameMaster90

GameMaster90

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 03:46 PM

Yes Winchy, that is exactly what I what. A simple chip that will allow me to install a new harddrive and backup my games on it. I'm not interested in anything else. So for right now, it looks like I'll be getting the Xecuter 2.6, but I will do some more research on it.

Keep the suggestions coming though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users