Nobody-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 06:12 PM

Hi,
I have a real strange problem with my Xecuter2 lite modded box. mad.gif

After running the box for at least 1 hour with the mod on (working perfectly) I cannot reboot the box with the mod beeing on. No matter if I just try an IGR or turning the box off and on again, it always flashes red/green. If I then turn off the mod and boot into the regular ms-bios, I always have to set time and date??? After beeing off for a while, the mod boots perfectly again.

Anyone has an idea what is going on here? huh.gif

I checked all wires over and over again, I can't find solder splashes on the mod or the pcb,...

This just kinda sucks because after watching a movie with the xboxmediaplayer I can't play a game from hdd since the mod won't boot.

Please help
Michael

#2 FIREitUP

FIREitUP

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 29 March 2003 - 12:41 AM

hmm xbox getting too hot?? im not sure but get a fan in there maybe?? i have no fuckin clue

#3 tonyz

tonyz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 10:09 AM

Did u use flux when soldering the points? The heat could be causing a dodgy connection..

#4 Nobody-X

Nobody-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:50 PM

Hi,
thanks for your hints. I resoldered ALL wires at least 3 times with solder with flux inside it.

I also think it has to do something with the temperature. The only thing I really do not understand is why I always have to set time and date after switching off the mod and booting into the ms-dash.

I already checked the box for a good place to put an extra fan into but I couldn't find any.

Thanks
Michael

#5 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 03:58 PM

i got no clue either, really want to know how this turns out.

#6 mikejf

mikejf

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 09:01 PM

If you suspect an overheating problem:
Get the lastest evox with temps, look at temp2 (CPU temp).
If it's too high >130 F : (it's inaccurate in evox btw)
Remove the CPU heatsink and put some new heat sink grease.

It (the heatsink) can come loose if you bumped it or held the MB by it (bad idea).

PS: While your at it, put a small heatsink on the MCPX chip too. wink.gif

Edited by mikejf, 29 March 2003 - 09:04 PM.

#7 FIREitUP

FIREitUP

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 March 2003 - 08:28 PM

the reason that its resetting is that for some reason the hard drive is resetting (as if you took out the ide cable and put it back) anyway its nto that big of a deal so whatever...

#8 Nobody-X

Nobody-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:16 PM

Hi,
just for your info...

* I do not want to install the latest Evox (for temp monitoring) at this time since there is a problem with the flashing reportet.

* I rechecked ALL cables again - no problem

* Finally I ordered a new X2-lite from another supplier. If this one fails also, there must be problem somewhere else.

I will keep you informed. Maybe it's somebody out there who can explain why I have to set date/time in the ms-dash after red/green with the mod?? blink.gif

Thanks
Michael

#9 subzero

subzero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:35 PM

Hi No-BodyX,

Please let me know how's your new mod chip works because I have similar problem. However, I don't think my problem is related to heat because it doesn't boot up after a reboot. I have to wait for about 1 minute and it will boot up fine.
It is like this:
1. turn on xbox, works fine
2. immediately turn it off or in game reset
3. doesn't boot anymore
4. wait for about 1 minute
5. reboot fine
6. if I reboot again or reset, I have to wait for another minute

Anyone has any idea of why's happening? Mod chip problem or software problem? Appreciate any input.

Thanks.

#10 mikejf

mikejf

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:56 PM

>>I don't think my problem is related to heat because it doesn't boot up after a reboot. I have to wait for about 1 minute and it will boot up fine.

Well that waiting allows cooling, so heat could still be the problem, but only 1 minute isn't really much time to cool.

>>the reason that its resetting is that for some reason the hard drive is resetting

The MCPX chip handles the IDE interface, so it may be over-heating.

#11 subzero

subzero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 12:01 AM

>>I don't think my problem is related to heat because it doesn't boot up after a reboot. I have to wait for about 1 minute and it will boot up fine.
>>Well that waiting allows cooling, so heat could still be the problem, but only 1 minute isn't really much time to cool.

If I reboot immediately after I turn on the machine, I still need to wait for that 1 minute. (i.e. I turn on the machine, waiting until EvolutionX to come up, then reset, boom.. have to wait for another minute). This process shouldn't build up too much heat. Any ideas?

What I am thinking is could that be software problem, EvolutionX (need to re-install?) or mod chip problem? I don't mind formatting my HD and redo everything if it fixes the problem.

Thanks.

#12 mikejf

mikejf

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 02:26 PM

Which mod chip do you have subzero ?

When you do a reboot, the eject flashes green right?

#13 subzero

subzero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 06:10 PM

Hi mikejf,

I am using Xecuter2 Lite. When I reboot, flash is red. sad.gif

Do you think it is a software problem or just a bad mod chip? My xbox works for about 1 month and it starts happening like this 2 weeks ago.

Thanks.

#14 Nobody-X

Nobody-X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 10:52 PM

Hi,
believe it or not... after installing my new X2 lite to the same wires I already had soldered into my box I turned the damn thing on and - it works! There haven't been any problems since then so I think my old X2 lite was already kinda broken when I got it. mad.gif

So far the mod seems to work perfectly (hope it stays the same) biggrin.gif

CU
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users