darth_turtur

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:36 PM

OK, so I downloaded a whole bunch of mods from Morrowind Summit (Big thanks by the way to grifter, hopeful, roofus, and austin) and i've been enjoying my "newly revamped" game. Well, every now and then I would still get DDE's because some of the stuff that I installed (armor, houses, retextures, etc.) are of high detail and probably needs to run on higher levels of RAM.

So my question is this ---> I know that all our xboxes come with the standard 64MB of RAM and in order to enjoy most of these mods, it is recommended to have 128MB of RAM. Would be overkill and ridiculous if I install 256MB of RAM? Would it be a waste? Just wondering because i'm going to go get something for laptop later today anyway, so I figure why not get some extra memory for my xbox. Any help/suggestion would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

#2 grifter66

grifter66

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:11 AM

Yeah that's a good question.
256MB of RAM may be over kill but I'd do it. Hell I'll put as much of it as could.

I have 2 questions of my own:
1. Where do you get extra RAM?
2. How would you go about installing it?

Edited by grifter66, 22 June 2005 - 12:04 AM.

#3 Pyro0623

Pyro0623

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Computers and technology, Xbox moddin', Playin' vids on my xbox.
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:58 AM

You need to get another xbox salvage the RAM and solder the chips to the other MOBO.
Unless you can find the same make of chips elsewhere.
And AFAIK you can only put in an additional 64 MB

Edited by Pyro0623, 04 June 2005 - 02:59 AM.

#4 grifter66

grifter66

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the info

#5 austin987

austin987

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(Pyro0623 @ Jun 4 2005, 04:09 AM)
You need to get another xbox salvage the RAM and solder the chips to the other MOBO.
Unless you can find the same make of chips elsewhere.
And AFAIK you can only put in an additional 64 MB

View Post

Yep, that's right. The soldering isn't fun, so make sure you're a good solderer, or get an excellent buddy tongue.gif . That, or get an xbox debug kit, which already has 128 MB installed.

After installing the extra ram, you'll have to patch any xbe that you want to use the extra ram for. There is a patcher on the tools section of xbox-scene.com. Patch both morrowind xbe's (default.xbe and morrowind.xbe) and then enjoy!

#6 pepe2004

pepe2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

Look at this link, they make a lot of modifications for you, one is ram and even, if you have an xbox 1.5 or before they can put a faster pentium in your xbox, but if you have a xbox v1.6 i think they can put a pentium 3 like the one the xbox have but with 256k of cache. I belive in the wahingtong post there was a review saying than with this modificacions halo 2 runs smother.

http://www.upgrade12...talog/index.php

http://xbox.upgrade123.com/index.php

Bye.

Edited by pepe2004, 16 June 2005 - 11:55 PM.

#7 darth_turtur

darth_turtur

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(pepe2004 @ Jun 16 2005, 04:02 PM)
Look at this link, they make a lot of modifications for you, one is ram and even, if you have an xbox 1.5 or before they can put a faster pentium in your xbox, but if you have a xbox v1.6 i think they can put a pentium 3 like the one the xbox have but with 256k of cache. I belive in the wahingtong post there was a review saying than with this modificacions halo 2 runs smother.

http://www.upgrade12...talog/index.php

http://xbox.upgrade123.com/index.php

Bye.

View Post

Cool! Thanks for looking out!

#8 th3rdeye420

th3rdeye420

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

I know that this is reverse helpfulness but friendtech doesnt offer that anymore (pentium upgrade or the 1440 or some shit cause it lags games out) On top of that people in the scene have had many problems with Friendtechs work. Austin is right about the 2 other things installing the ram is A BITCH and 128 is the highest it goes. Your best bet is to search in bst thread I saw a guy who would take two busted mobo and send your workin one in and he will do it no charge except shipping. Ive been wanting to do this for two reasons. Giants mod and halo 2 screenshots and videos. oh thanks Grifter for all help youve given me towards modding morrowind good to see you werent banned

#9 grifter66

grifter66

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

oh thanks Grifter for all help youve given me towards modding morrowind good to see you werent banned

Thanks for the compliment. I don't mind helping the people who actually apprieciate it.

You're welcome!

Edited by grifter66, 18 June 2005 - 06:47 AM.

#10 Hopeful

Hopeful

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

If you're wanting to install extra ram for morrowind, I wouldn't even do it. If you have 128mb ram and you patch the xbe to use it, then from what I've seen your game gets choppier, and even eventually freezes over enough play time. For whatever crazy reason, more ram only seems to slow down and eventually freeze this game. That's right. It could be that it's freezing near the time it reaches above 64 mb in ram, which seems about accurate. It could be that the game is 'not optomised' for double ram, whatever that means. I know it sounds conflicting that it doesn't have a positive affect. Apparently though, it's possible by just adding ram to slow down, screw up, and remove all stability from a game. Something could just be wrong with my ram, but then I don't even think it would register on dashes.

Long story short, extra ram is good if your focus is emulators. The extra ram can actually allow you to load roms you otherwise couldn't. However, I reiterate that if you want to get extra ram just for morrowind, it's probably not the best idea. If you end up trying it anyway, or someone has a different experience, post your findings by all means.

#11 pepe2004

pepe2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Jun 25 2005, 11:34 AM)
If you're wanting to install extra ram for morrowind, I wouldn't even do it. If you have 128mb ram and you patch the xbe to use it, then from what I've seen your game gets choppier, and even eventually freezes over enough play time. For whatever crazy reason, more ram only seems to slow down and eventually freeze this game. That's right. It could be that it's freezing near the time it reaches above 64 mb in ram, which seems about accurate. It could be that the game is 'not optomised' for double ram, whatever that means. I know it sounds conflicting that it doesn't have a positive affect. Apparently though, it's possible by just adding ram to slow down, screw up, and remove all stability from a game. Something could just be wrong with my ram, but then I don't even think it would register on dashes.

Long story short, extra ram is good if your focus is emulators. The extra ram can actually allow you to load roms you otherwise couldn't. However, I reiterate that if you want to get extra ram just for morrowind, it's probably not the best idea. If you end up trying it anyway, or someone has a different experience, post your findings by all means.

View Post

But you can run roms larger than the 64 megs of the xbox, i have run metal slug 5 who is, unziped, 90 megs. Is there any rom larger?, i run it with mameox.
The extra ram will be useful to if you run linux on the xbox.
Sorry for the english.

#12 The*galloping*zebra

The*galloping*zebra

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Interests:Lazing
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Extra ram will increase performance in linux and in emulators. Roms will load up, have smoother gameplay and better sound as there is more ram to help emulate the rom.
As for xbox games.. I'm not sure, I heard it doesn't affect games if it did the affects would be minimal.

btw MB and mb are two different things, Xbox has 64Megabit ram. Metal slug is 90 Megabytes.
Metal slug is run on/stored off a disc or harddrive not off the ram. A rom can be any size and still be played on the xbox aslong as there is enough ram to churn the processes through.

#13 pepe2004

pepe2004

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

Hehehe, well men, Iīm not a genious, hehehe. I think that the ram is not really need for emulation, the games not load a lot of information lke xbox games, so the virtualram used to store the game of big size is more than enouft to run the games smoth. I havenīt seen any slowdown in metalslug. I donīt know if the games run whith a faster FPS if you have more ram, i think not.

#14 Hopeful

Hopeful

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(pepe2004 @ Jun 25 2005, 07:56 PM)
Hehehe, well men, Iīm not a genious, hehehe. I think that the ram is not really need for emulation, the games not load a lot of information lke xbox games, so the virtualram used to store the game of big size is more than enouft to run the games smoth. I havenīt seen any slowdown in metalslug. I donīt know if the games run whith a faster FPS if you have more ram, i think not.

View Post

Of course that only applies emulators that use virtual memory. As far as I know that's only mameox and maybe one or two others. Also, I'm thinking actual RAM is always faster and smoother than virtual. I believe virtual uses the hard disk instead of much faster ram. Actually I have an old friendtech DreamX bravo when they still had the double cache processor and the extra RAM and even most xbox games skip frames less. This could have more to do with the double cache or the combination of double cache and RAM. Getting back to the issue, morrowind seems like an exception that doesn't benefit. Though the*galloping*zebra said "As for xbox games.. I'm not sure, I heard it doesn't affect games if it did the affects would be minimal." Playing morrowind on double ram will show this isn't totally true. Your game will take a sharp turn for the worse unless you have an extremely different experience.

Not to bust heads but I'm pretty sure that it is 64 megabytes of RAM that the xbox has. I typed mb which verges on a typo, but most probably know what I'm talkin' about. Technically I believe that megabits is Mb when abbreviated proper-like. It'd be pretty shitty if the xbox only had 8 megabytes (64 megabits). Like a sega-cd or something. I'm not sure the following statement is true except for 1 or 2 emulators that use virtual memory. "Metal slug is run on/stored off a disc or harddrive not off the ram". I mean, most games above something like 40 mb wouldn't load for a while because the entire thing didn't fit in RAM. Then if you upgraded ram to 128, the game would load in its entirety and play just fine. I could possibly be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I'm not sure how things veered into that area on this thread, but suffice it to say, ram for morrowind: no. At least, in my experience this didn't prove fruitful. Could be faulty hardware work but it seems to run allright most times.

Edited by Hopeful, 25 June 2005 - 10:14 PM.

#15 pastortom

pastortom

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

quote: "btw MB and mb are two different things, Xbox has 64Megabit ram. Metal slug is 90 Megabytes. "

umm, not to be blunt but are you a retard?

the xbox has 64 MEGABYTES of RAM. not 64 megabits tongue.gif

MB stands for Mega Byte.. One million bytes..

Mb stands for Mega bit.. one million bits..

8 Mega Bits is one Mega Byte..

1 byte = 8 bits..

if the xbox had 64 Mega Bits, it would mean 8 mega byte of ram.. like the 80486 Intel CPU back in the day with 33mhz running windows 3.1..

your statement sir, is probably the most stupid and less intelligent statement Ive ever heard..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users