• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Satorian

Satorian

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(street_kings @ Jun 23 2005, 07:14 AM)
The formula to determine horsepower from torque is
(Lbs/Ft x RPM) / 5,252 = Horsepower.

Forced induction systems do add torque. Which is also, based on the formula above, is horsepower.

View Post

P=2*pi*M*n is the more universal one.

And it's the one that explains why power is a better performance indicator than torque if you keep in mind that cars have gearing which a lot of people don't get. smile.gif

#32 Ronu

Ronu

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Hacking my xbox, playstation3
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Oh and by the way its not NOS. Thats is Nitrous Oxide Systems owned by Holly. NOS refers to the company not the nitrous. So when you mention nitrous you say nitrous not NOS! grr.gif . You guys have been watching Fast and The Furious too much

actually iLLNESS, nitrous isn't all that expensive compared to forced induction. Forced induction pressurizes air and jams it into your engine. This isn't as safe as nitrous either. Giving your turbo or supercharger too much psi will result in blowing your motor (which believe it or not i have seen done alot more times then someone blowing their motor using nitrous). Nitrous is safe and won't hurt your motor if you use it in moderation. A 70 shot will hardly hurt a motor unless you decide to use it whle you drive around town. Stop watching Fast and The Furious and go get some knowledge about how cars work. Until you do that don't talk anymore biggrin.gif

Edited by Ronu, 04 July 2005 - 05:38 PM.

#33 Sphinx8821

Sphinx8821

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

OK howabout we stick to the topic subject here people?

Conclusion: If you want NOS, add it yourself by finalizing the code, or wait for NFSU:Most Wanted. (Which IMHO looks entertaining, due to the cops being back)

End of story.

#34 mcbraders

mcbraders

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:blah
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

lmao who gives a shit what its refering to jeez just about every goddamn person calls it nos dude u should calm down a bit laugh.gif

#35 deacon187

deacon187

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE(iLLNESS @ Jun 24 2005, 04:02 AM)
lol 70hp instantly..

nos is horrible.. bad for your engine..
nos is very very ricer

turbo lag? well theres only turbo lag if u cant shift... and have too big of a turbo wink.gif

im exxagerating of course, but nos costs $$$... turbo is like free hp

supercharge if u dont like lag.. fuck nos

View Post

i dont know much about superchargers and turbos, but i asked a mechanic what was that noise i hear when a wrx goes down the street when shifting gears and it was the blowoff valve that he said eliminates the lag from turbos when shifting gears

#36 BrownTown

BrownTown

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:10 AM

Pfft i agree with ronu, people spend wayy to much time with movies like "the fast and the furious", YA nitrous is cheep in comparision to forced induction, but both forms are bad for your engine, there's no two ways about it forcing your engine to work harder is bad, but has results. I think forza is great because other than a few things it almost elimanates rice from fast cars. Big wings and stickers and don't make your car faster.

#37 CB Havoc

CB Havoc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

Nitrousoxide allows for more fuel to be burned = more ponies

#38 Hoogabooga

Hoogabooga

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:16 PM

my pink geo metro had No2

weeeeeeeeeee

#39 DOS4GW

DOS4GW

The XLink Fraggle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • Interests:Pet my Xbox

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:55 PM

NOS, turbo, compressors (superchargers) all generate kW/h (horsepower) and torque.

A NOS loaded engine will generate more kW/h and torque when NOS is injected. If NOS did not generate more kW/h, by heightening the burn temperature of the fuel increasing the engine performance, it would be pointless to use it.

QUOTE(loki @ Jun 8 2005, 08:52 AM)
its kinda funny though...the game has everything BUT nos... i dont get it.. most pimped out cars around here have nos systems in it... it ads a good 70+ hp and totally eliminates turbo lag... but..whatever
I beg your pardon? First of all it's not called "turbo lag". The name is load pressure delay.

NOS doesn't have anything to do with the turbo so what you're saying is plain bs.

The only way to keep the load pressure constant is to keep the rpm up while gearing.

QUOTE(iLLNESS @ Jun 24 2005 @ 04:02 AM)
turbo lag? well theres only turbo lag if u cant shift... and have too big of a turbo
Correct.

QUOTE(deacon187 @ Jul 23 2005, 08:14 AM)
i dont know much about superchargers and turbos, but i asked a mechanic what was that noise i hear when a wrx goes down the street when shifting gears and it was the blowoff valve that he said eliminates the lag from turbos when shifting gears
The common name is dump valve, and it doesn't eliminate the need to re-establish the load pressure between gear shifts. A dump valve releases overpressure.

Edited by DOS4GW, 10 August 2005 - 06:44 PM.

#40 beige

beige

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

nevermind

Edited by beige, 10 August 2005 - 06:13 PM.

#41 beige

beige

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

"Turbo Lag" and "Blow-off valve" are commonly accepted terms, so you don't have to nitpick.
And nitrous decreses load pressure delay by incresing the amount of exhaust (more air from the nitrous burning the extra fuel = more exhaust), increaseing exhaust pressure to accelerate the impeller bringing it up to speed faster. While it's not "totally eliminating" turbo lag in the physics sense, it's possible to reduce it to the point of it not being an issue.

A dump valve can reduce compresser impeller loading from overpressure which can lower the impeller speed from the resistance. (no exhaust moving the exhaust impeller with a greater load on the intake impeller tends to slow the turbo down), Which means less effort to get impeller speed back up (since it didn't drop as much) causing less load pressure delay.

#42 DOS4GW

DOS4GW

The XLink Fraggle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

Since load pressure delay is a a result of lost load pressure while gearing you're telling me that using NOS while gearing would reduce the delay. Haha. Keep it up...

#43 beige

beige

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

During turbo lag, there isn't as much air flowing through the enigne, so there's less exhaust that can act on powering the turbo, which means it can't compress the air as well as it could under boost and thus it will have a harder time accelerating than if the engine was pumping a ton of air like it would be under full boost.
Adding nitrous not only adds power when the driver is obvioulsy missing it (or else it wouldn't be lag), it also gives the turbo more power to compress the intake air through a jump in the volume of the gasses in the exhaust that the turbo needs for power to compress that intake air.

So instead of the turbo waiting for low boost air to go through the engine, burn, and power the turbo so a greater amount of air can be fed through the motor and power the turbo so an even greater amount of air can be fed through, and so on... You shorten the cycle when nitrous is used and adds more exhaust to power the turbo. Thus reducing lag.

If for some reason, by "load pressure delay," you simply mean the lag in pressure change that exists due to the elasticity of air when you compress it, that isn't turbo lag, though it may contribute to some of it. Reducing the volume of compressed air between the turbo and the combustion chamber would be the way to fix that. It also means that you changed the context of Loki's post.

#44 DOS4GW

DOS4GW

The XLink Fraggle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:04 PM

You don't have load pressure delay while driving the car with an engine that has rpm, so more exhaust as a result of NOS will not affect the non-existing load pressure delay.

It is when you release the throttle that the engine rpm decreases, resulting in less exhaust so the turbo pressure drops. You don't have to be a race car driver to understand that while keeping the engine rpm up while gearing you eliminate load pressure delay, simply because the load pressure doesn't fall.

Unless you use NOS while shifting gears, when the rpm drops instead of keeping the rpm up with the pedal, NOS will not have any on load pressure delay - yet I wonder how long your engine would last with NOS between each gear shift...

Does Loki's post look edited to you (?) it sure doesn't look edited to me.
Stop trolling the forum.

#45 beige

beige

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:30 AM

1, i never said that loki's post was edited
2, i give up trying to explain anything to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users