• 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

Fight Night Round 2
Electronic Arts
Boxing
March 1, 2005

Fight Night by EA Games is one of the best boxing series to ever hit the console. With Total Punch Control, you feel like you are in complete harmony with your boxer.....

Gameplay

When I first picked up Fight Night Round 2, it felt pretty much the same as Fight Night, not saying thats a bad thing. When making a character, Round 2 has an excellent building system, not as deep as Fight for NY, but it does enough to give you the ability to create a character that somewhat resembles you. When I got into the ring, I was not aware of the Haymaker feature yet, so I won my fights by the detailed and creative blocking and weaving. However, the point I learned how to throw haymakers kind of killed the whole pro boxing thing I had going on, as I would just walk into the ring and knockdown my opponents as often as 5 times in the first round. This lead to a career of 41-0-0, with 41 KOs.

R2 has a very detailed character model....the boxers react and jerk realisticly to blows received, and they do it so fluidly that it seems real. EA also tuned up the bruising and cut system, now more excentuated, the damage to your face builds up unless you do the cut work yourself. The Cutman feature is both a positive and a negative, as in it makes you work to get your boxer back into shape for the next round, but it becomes dull and repetative shortly. EA has refined the Training system as well, making it easier for new learners to jump in, and for those who are skilled to tone their fighter faster. You can choose between weight lifting, heavy bag, and combo dummy. However, the combo dummy is extremly hard to learn and use.

Graphics

As stated above, the bruising and cuts are very realistic. The motion and fighting is fluid, and the fact you can see blood and sweat dripping down your face is a nice addon.

Audio

Heavily rap based audio tracks, this sound track will only appeal to some. EA got a good mix of underground talent, as well as some mainstream garbage like Fab. The fact EA never lets you choose your own soundtracks is a let down.

Controls

Easily the most innovative control scheme ever, Total Punch Control is perfectly suited to a boxing game. Using the right analog to control your arms, you throw punches in almost the exact motion you direct on the pad. Haymakers are a little too easy to perform however, and the feature seems to get overdone when you learn to use it.

Overall

This is the best boxing game ever made. Nothing has come remotely close to the Fight Night series (IMO) since Super Punch-Out for the SNES. This game is a defenite buy for boxing and or fighting enthusiests everywhere.

Gameplay - 9/10
Graphics - 9/10
Audio - 7/10
Controls - 10/10

#2 darth_turtur

darth_turtur

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

beerchug.gif Cheers on the great review!

I'll add by stating that if true simulation is what you're looking for, then FN2 is a great buy. On the other hand, the cons of having a true boxing sim game comes with a price...retirement. Now where did I leave my water jar from the fountain of youth again? tongue.gif

#3 Code-Red

Code-Red

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:36 AM

Gratzi, friend.

Yea I pushed my way to 51. A tip: when you stats are going down real fast, just do weightlifting. It takes away less stats then combo dummy (thats a killer!) and the punching bag.

#4 darth_turtur

darth_turtur

X-S Expert

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE(Code-Red @ Jul 11 2005, 05:47 PM)
Gratzi, friend.
Yea I pushed my way to 51. A tip: when you stats are going down real fast, just do weightlifting. It takes away less stats then combo dummy (thats a killer!) and the punching bag.

View Post

I had to retire at 57. I couldn't stand looking at my boxer anymore. Here's an image...a cross between Butterbean and the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man with gloves and black hair. This is what you get with simulation is taken in a VERY literal sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users