35 replies to this topic

#1 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

And I'm hating every second of the possibility.

Xbox version has better graphics, framerate, sound, and of course custom music.

But dear god the CONTROLS are shit. I know some of the reviewers complained about white/black changing weapons... but that's easy compared to the rest.

Most of the problems are while in a car - I haven't even gotten in an air vehicle (though I'm thinking of cheating just to see if I can tolerate the controls). For instance, looking behind you requires you to press BOTH Bl and W buttons. Both. To look to the left you hit W, to look to the right you hit B. To Fire to the left you hit BOTH A and W, to fire right you hit Bl and B. Not fun. When we got in our first drive-by I felt neutered. Sure I was the one driving so I could kid myself that I was preoccupied, but it's never been a problem before smile.gif

Anyone else feel the same way? I'll give it an hour or two more, but despite all its advantages tech-wise, it's kinda a pain to play it.

#2 XboxOwnsAll

XboxOwnsAll

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:22 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Next try to target a new target after you've selected another. You gotta press the white/black buttons. Who came up with this control scheme? They should have made A = DRIVE, B = Brake, and Right analog pressed down = handbrake. Then make the left/right triggers = look left/right.

Do you realize how difficult the flying missions are going to be? Like the one where you gotta fly the plane close to the ground so that you don't get picked up by radar.

#3 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:27 PM

Wait.. so wh/bl changes targets.. how do you change weapons then? Weapons are wh/bl right? Or do you have to take off the targeting first? (PS2 might be the same way, I don't remember)

The flying thing is why I want to cheat and drop in some planes. If they're not easy to control I'm most certainly done. As it stands now I'm not happy about drive-bys sucking balls. It'd be ok if you could configure the controls like in the other one, but you're stuck with their (IMO Shitty) default.

I think the only way I'd buy the game (rented it) is if they update it somehow so you can reconfigure things. I quit playing the PS2 one for nothing I'm starting to think

#4 XboxOwnsAll

XboxOwnsAll

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

I think that once you target a person, you can't switch weapons. But yeah white/black do switch weapons. Dude, right now I'm using a PS2 converter so I can plug in my PS2 controller into my Xbox because the controls are so F'd. And it's still VERY difficult to figure out what you gotta do.

#5 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

Guess I'll just have to play an hour of each and make a final decision. That's too bad, I was so looking forward to SA after playing and preferring VC and 3 on the xbox.

#6 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

I think the GFX are worse. Reviews have said the same thing. There are more detailed textures, but what good are they when everything is blurred and aliasied to hell. Rockstar was about as lazy on this port as Konami was on the Metal Gear Solid 2 port. rolleyes.gif

#7 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Really? I think they're sharper and the framerate is more consistent and better.

At first I liked the lack of the orange glow/haze, but it's kinda like a neat characteristic of the first city. It makes it look like crap and gloomy, but that's what the city really is, right? San Fiero looks fine, and it's so gay and happy it should be that way smile.gif

#8 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE(Shudder @ Jun 8 2005, 01:35 PM)
Really?  I think they're sharper and the framerate is more consistent and better.

There are plenty of reviews that back my comment up. Just read the first page of the gamespot review. It looks fine in 480i, but when playing in 480p it looks the way I said. I know I could play it on 480i instead of 480p, but have you ever played a 480i game on a 52 inch HDTV, its not fun. The image looks like crap and leaves "trails" everywhere and will remind you of first gen PS2 games. laugh.gif

Edited by deftonesmx17, 08 June 2005 - 06:30 PM.

#9 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:32 PM

Ahh.. see, I don't have an H/EDTV yet. I already notice the interlacing trails now in GTA:SA (happens on the PS2 too, not as much on the xbox though).

Grr the more I think about it the more I know I'm going to be going back to the PS2. I hate the PS2 smile.gif

#10 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

The PS2 one was great. The controller was better for this game. I think I am going to get the PC version because those are the best. I have 3 and Vice city modded to hell on the PC. beerchug.gif

Edited by deftonesmx17, 08 June 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#11 n00bFRAGGER

n00bFRAGGER

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Building Computers<br />Playing Xbox<br />Moddifying my Xbox<br />Cars<br />Rock Music<br />PhotoShop
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(Shudder @ Jun 8 2005, 01:43 PM)
Ahh.. see, I don't have an H/EDTV yet.

View Post

Ugggh.. Don't mention "EDTV"... all it is is a crappy rip off of High definition...

#12 deftonesmx17

deftonesmx17

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(n00bFRAGGER @ Jun 8 2005, 02:58 PM)
Ugggh.. Don't mention "EDTV"... all it is is a crappy rip off of High definition...

View Post

EDTV isnt even close to HDTV, so how can it be a rip off?

SDTV: Standard-Definition Television supports only 480i (interlaced)
EDTV: Enhanced-Definition Television supports 480p (progressive)
HDTV: High-Definition Television supports 720p (progressive) and/or 1080i (interlaced)

Edited by deftonesmx17, 08 June 2005 - 07:57 PM.

#13 themadman123

themadman123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Film...
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

tongue.gif
No, you mean it was just a horrible movie..... tongue.gif

#14 iwannadie

iwannadie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:13 PM

im worried about the controll setup now. i have the ps2 version but it has alot of issues and generally sucks for aiming. cant imagine they made it worse. sony probally greased rockstars pockets to make the xbox version suck to keep the ps2 sales higher(talk about a conspircy theory ha)

im not sure how the ps2 controller could be consider better suited for that game, i mean really i dont ever use the second L/R buttons so it doesnt matter. for driving the xbox should use the triggers as gas break for a better driving setup and the face buttons for other stuff opening up more buttons cause you dont have to hold a button for gas. but oh well they should have at least gave the option to reconfig the button layout.

#15 Shudder

Shudder

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:12 AM

Well, on the PS2 you hit L2/R2 to look left/right which is easy to do. PS2's buttons are closer, so holding X to drive (usually I'm coasting for drive bys anyway) and hitting O to fire is quite easy.

On xbox now you have to hit w/bl to look l/r AND hit A or B to fire. Quite a distance there. And of course to look back you have to hit bl + wh, which isn't easy on xbox, but is easy to hit L2 and R2 at the same time on the PS2.

The stick is friggin worthless as a camera. who cares? I wish they made it look like in hte double pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users