151 replies to this topic

#46 sketch_uk2000

sketch_uk2000

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:52 PM

Sorry about that I am aware that its not yours i meant to say the NKP10+supa that was posted by DaddyJ unsure.gif

#47 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:21 AM

Thought I'd post this for the masses......

NKPatcher VGA SoG Patched CONFIG.INC & NKPATCHER.ASM

Edit the CONFIG.INC to match your setup (DO NOT use NKP-config or NKP Editor to do this(they wont support it), edit it manually). Replaced NKPATCHER.ASM with this one.

Compile with
nasm -o nkpatcher.xbe xboxapp.asm

habibi sign the nkpatcher.xbe and it is ready for production use, thats to dr_oldschool for this great addition to nkpatcher.

If I do get some time, I will compile a howto combine this code with dual-tri-boot and LED control.

Edited by DaddyJ, 02 August 2005 - 01:13 PM.

#48 strikingeuphony

strikingeuphony

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Aug 2 2005, 03:32 AM)
Thought I'd post this for the masses......

NKPatcher VGA SoG Patched CONFIG.INC & NKPATCHER.ASM

Edit the CONFIG.INC to match your setup (DO NOT use NKP-config or NKP Editor to do this(they wont support it), edit it manually). Replaced NKPATCHER.ASM with this one.

Compile with
nasm -o nkpatcher.xbe xboxapp.asm

habibi sign the nkpatcher.xbe and it is ready for production use,  thats to dr_oldschool for this great addition to nkpatcher.

If I do get some time, I will compile a howto combine this code with dual-tri-boot and LED control.

View Post

Can you help me? I've done everything you said but it still goes to a black screen on my softmodded Xbox. I've got a softmodded 1.0 xbox with PBL loading the l8*something* bios that puts all the space of my 250gig drive to F drive. I'm also using UnleashX as the default dashboard in the f:\apps\unleashX\ folder. If you could either give me some assistance or possibly make a config file for me that I could use prior to compiling? Any help would be VERY appreciated. uhh.gif

#49 DaddyJ

DaddyJ

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(strikingeuphony @ Aug 7 2005, 09:01 AM)
Can you help me?  I've done everything you said but it still goes to a black screen on my softmodded Xbox.  I've got a softmodded 1.0 xbox with PBL loading the l8*something* bios that puts all the space of my 250gig drive to F drive.  I'm also using UnleashX as the default dashboard in the f:\apps\unleashX\ folder.  If you could either give me some assistance or possibly make a config file for me that I could use prior to compiling?  Any help would be VERY appreciated.  uhh.gif

View Post

Edit the config.inc file

CODE

%define DASHBOARD_PATH '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition6\apps\unleashx\The unleash X XBE.xbe'

#50 strikingeuphony

strikingeuphony

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE(DaddyJ @ Aug 7 2005, 04:19 PM)
Edit the config.inc file

CODE

%define DASHBOARD_PATH '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition6\apps\unleashx\The unleash X XBE.xbe'

View Post

I've done that and I still get a black screen. I think I may need a bios loader, I softmodded my a now outdated app for Xbox over a year ago. It's UDE1.*something* for an Xbox 1.0 with PBL. Thanks regardless for your reply.

#51 massive_hair

massive_hair

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

OKeydoke, after an afternoon of playing around with things I don't understand, I've finally got this to work. Well, on most stuff. I'm running on an LCD monitor (Philips 150S if anyone's interested) and I made a simple YPrPb to VGA connector - no sync splitter cos the screen can sync on green. There's no green tint issue in anything I tested.
Working:
Halo 2
Halo
Doom 3
Project Gotham Racing 2
Mech Assault 2

Not Working:
The Sims
X-Men Legends
Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow

In the case of the not-working stuff, the sound can be heard, but the monitor insists it cannot display the picture.
Finally, the DVD player in Avalaunch seems to stretch vertically for some reason - no idea why. I've got the SoG and force_progressive options on.
Cheers
Chris

#52 dr_oldschool

dr_oldschool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(massive_hair @ Aug 9 2005, 03:11 AM)
Not Working:
The Sims
X-Men Legends
Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow

In the case of the not-working stuff, the sound can be heard, but the monitor insists it cannot display the picture.
Finally, the DVD player in Avalaunch seems to stretch vertically for some reason - no idea why.
There still are some 480i games that don't work with VGA_FORCE_PROGRESSIVE. I don't have The Sims, but X-Men Legends (NTSC) and SC: PT (PAL) work for me. Yours probably are different versions.
Unfortunately I can not test Avalaunch DVD thing. Could it be that your monitor stretches the image? There are two 480p modes - 640x480 and 720x480. Check your monitor settings. I know my monitor has 3 options for image size - original size, upscale but keep AR, upscale fullscreen.
What version Xbox are you running?

#53 massive_hair

massive_hair

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

lol - cracked it. I had a PAL box with 480p disabled. As soon as I switched to NTSC M with 480p enabled everything worked. So I suppose this should be a congratulations that this patch even sorta-works when 480p is disabled!
(oh and Sims - Bustin' Out works too - forgot to check that one last night!)
Chris

#54 jarpatus

jarpatus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(dr_oldschool @ Jul 21 2005, 03:37 PM)
All other versions :). Especially Conexant and Xcalibur.
While theoretically it should work, I have no idea as I haven't tested it on other than my xbox which is also 1.4 focus.

View Post

Tested patch with my pal xcalibur 1.6 box and sadly no success. Made VGA cable out of old monitor cable and RCA connectors and using 3rd party AV Expansion unit featuring YPrPb connectors and I think it will select correct 2+3 mode (well isn't it standard HDTV-mode?). Using nkpatcher10 and virtual eeprom from which I selected ntsc and enabled 480p and 720p. When xbox boots, I get out-of-sync from monitor, cleary xbox outputs 15 kHz / 50 Hz. After nkpatcher gets loaded I get sync (using Samsung SyncMaster supporting SoG), 30 kHz / 60 Hz. Both 480p and 720p syncs... but everything is GREEN.

I think I did everything right, but patch just won't work with xcalibur. Sigh :...)

Regards,
Jarpatus

#55 dr_oldschool

dr_oldschool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(jarpatus @ Aug 19 2005, 10:53 PM)
Both 480p and 720p syncs... but everything is GREEN.

I think I did everything right, but patch just won't work with xcalibur. Sigh :...)
If your monitor syncs, you have correct cable. Now about the green picture. Did you compile nkpatcher yourself? If so, have you enabled VGA options in config file? (They are disabled by default).
If you did everything right and get green picture, then sadly this patch does not work with xcalibur encoder sad.gif

#56 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Finally got around to compiling and testing, but got some strange results

1.1 box with conexant encoder, X2VGA+ (SoG disabled, progressive enabled, 720p disabled, monitor cant handle)

working:
KUNG FU CHAOS!! (pal)
Baldurst Gate (pal, screen is shifted downwards a bit but can ajust via monitor OSD)

Not working:
GTA san andreas (pal) sad.gif

Not sure.. but AFAIK im the first person to run Kung Fu chaos in 480p. And does anyone else have probs with GTA san andreas?

#57 dr_oldschool

dr_oldschool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:30 AM

Latest version of nkpatcher10-vga

I rewrote the RGB output patching code. This fixes blank screen issues with some games with weird video initialization. Now finally Chessmaster works. All my games work perfectly now.
Instead of resetting the gpu always, I'm just writing video registers to reconfigure GPU for RGB output upon exiting AvSetDisplayMode kernel system call.

Also improved force progressive code. Now 480p support doesn't even have to be enabled in msdash video settings. It's still better to have 480p enabled since some old games might freeze. One such instance is Goblin Commander. If 480p is disabled it freezes after loading screen, if 480p is enabled it works perfectly.

I also took advice of The Zep Man and renamed define names to better reflect what's going on.

CODE

;;; VIDEO patches:
;;;
;;; VIDEO_FORCE_RGB = Patches kernel to output RGsB video signal (RGB with
;;;           sync on green). Intended for connecting the Xbox to VGA monitor.
;;;           Use HDTV (mode 2+3) video cable and connect Y to monitor green
;;;           input, Cr to monitor red input and Cb to monitor blue input. The
;;;           monitor must support sync on green.
;;;
;;; VIDEO_FORCE_PROGRESSIVE = Patches kernel to convert 480i video modes to
;;;           480p. You must use HDTV (mode 2+3) video cable for this feature
;;;           to work properly. Note that this will force Xbox to output
;;;           progressive scan video even if 480p video support is disabled
;;;           in msdash.
;;;
;;; Not enabled by default.

; %define VIDEO_FORCE_RGB
; %define VIDEO_FORCE_PROGRESSIVE

ChangeLog from readme.txt:
CODE

From version 10 to version 10-vga5:
* Added force RGB video feature. This will patch kernel system call
  AvSetDisplayMode to configure GPU for RGsB signal when video mode
  is changed. Intended for connecting the Xbox to VGA monitor. Use
  HDTV (mode 2+3) video cable and connect Y to monitor green input,
  Cr to monitor red input and Cb to monitor blue input. The monitor
  must support sync on green. If your monitor does not support sync
  on green you will have to build special special sync separator
  circuit.

* Added feature to convert 480i video modes to 480p. This will patch
  kernel system call AvSetDisplayMode to convert 480i video modes to
  480p. Enhances graphics quality for games/applications that don't
  make use of progressive scan video capability of Xbox. You must use
  HDTV (mode 2+3) video cable for this feature to work properly. Note
  that this will force Xbox to output progressive scan video even if
  480p video support is disabled in msdash.

If you had problems with previous version, try this one.

#58 Cio

Cio

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:40 AM

Great, ill try this one since i figured out yesterday that baldurs gate uses 480p in 16:9 mode while still using 4:3 images (so the bottom piece of the screen is actually missing) and that kung fu chaos doesn't work multiplayer (looks like 4 screens across each other that are supposed to be split, but the screen is not supposed to be split at all!)

Thx for the work dude, ur really helping me get the best of HD output!

#59 dr_oldschool

dr_oldschool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

I don't think this version will fix any issues you had winth Baldur's Gate and Kung Fu Chaos.
Regarding Baldur's Gate 1 PAL. I don't think it's a wide screen issue (I tried forcing both 640x480 and 720x480 for this game). It might be because the game is PAL and uses 576 lines instead of 480. I don't think if that's possible though for PAL games to get higher res. The good thing is it's still playable smile.gif Would be good if someone with NTSC version of Baldur's Gate 1 tried force progressive.

#60 dr_oldschool

dr_oldschool

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

Latest version of nkpatcher10-vga
Added code to detect AV pack (cable type) and patch kernel only when HDTV AV pack is detected.

(btw, is there any way to edit root post?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users