Photo

Do Any Neo Geo Roms Work On Your Mame-x?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ajoflow

ajoflow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 09:54 AM

ive tried everything... downloading several versions of roms, re-downloading neogeo.zip (neo geo bios). but none of the neo geo roms work on mame-x.... anyone have this problem?

people say they are able to run metal slug. i can't even run this rom. any help would be appreciated!

#2 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 04:57 AM

wink.gif ohmy.gif wink.gif

Did you switch to the NeoGeo version of MameX (the BLUE screened one) before trying to run the NeoGeo games?

Also your NeoGeo roms MUST be fully merged. E.G. all of the ROM(s) and their clones in one zip file. This zip file should also include the NeoGeo bios roms (NeoGeo.zip).

Yes they work fine, with the exception of a few that are too large for the Xbox, and a few that still have some trouble.

Captain Tomoday, Nightmare in the Dark, Pulstar, Puzzle Bobble, etc. all work for me. If you get one to run, you can normally get most of the others to also work.

wink.gif

#3 kido23

kido23

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 10:03 AM

i have the same problem.I put the neogeo.zip in the roms folder and only appear the first window i press OK. but dont boot the game . and I need reset the x box for start again. and I what do you mean the neo geo roms must be fully merged. e.g. .......... merged e.g.? what is this?

#4 geekstud

geekstud

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 03:04 PM

What I did was to unzip the games into folders with the same name in the mame roms folder. Then unzip neogeo.zip into each game folder. Then burn as normal.

#5 ajoflow

ajoflow

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 06:23 PM

i found out the problem....

load up the original MS dash and change the date. for some reason the year got changed to 8097! just change that and your neo geo roms should work fine.... enjoy!

#6 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (kido23 @ Aug 29 2002, 09:03 AM)
i have the same problem.I put the neogeo.zip in the roms folder and only appear the first window i press OK. but dont boot the game . and I need reset the x box for start again. and I what do you mean the neo geo roms must be fully merged. e.g. .......... merged e.g.? what is this?

smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

You'll need "Introductory Mame 101".

Download CLRMame and Romcenter. Read the docs. These programs will do all the merging work for you.

Where? Google is your friend. biggrin.gif

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (geekstud @ Aug 29 2002, 02:04 PM)
What I did was to unzip the games into folders with the same name in the mame roms folder. Then unzip neogeo.zip into each game folder. Then burn as normal.

Ouch!

I doubt you'll be able to fit more than 1/2 of all the Roms on a DVD this way. It's a waste of hard drive space, though it works.

You can rezip the folders (getting rid of the directory structure!) and things should work for you. But what a pain.

instead just use CLRMame or Romcenter to do the work for you.

wink.gif wink.gif

#8 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 August 2002 - 06:26 AM

Do Metal Slug 1,2,X,3, and 4 work in MAME-X?

#9 Def

Def

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 07:39 PM

i think installing a modchip somehow changes your xbox's date setting. i could have sworn my date and time was setup correctly but i checked last night and the year was setup as 8087 or something of that sort. after fixing the date, the neogeo roms worked for me.

#10 snakejoe

snakejoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (ZildjianKX @ Aug 31 2002, 01:26 PM)
Do Metal Slug 1,2,X,3, and 4 work in MAME-X?

Hi ZildjianKX. nice to meet you biggrin.gif

I just tried metal slug 1,2 they work great!!
but metal slug 4 can not since the rom is too large.

#11 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 03:39 PM

Howdy Snake Joe biggrin.gif What do you mean by the ROM is too large? sad.gif (THANKS for answering my question too!)

#12 snakejoe

snakejoe

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 04:16 PM

ROM size.

When running Mame X. it use all free XBOX ram to store roms (about 54mb). But the size of metal slug 4 after zip is 60mb. so it is impossible to play MS4.

#13 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 05:16 PM

Think there will be any way around it? sad.gif Too bad the Mame version of the ROM is so big, I know there is a 30 meg one that works with NeoRageX sad.gif

#14 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (ZildjianKX @ Sep 3 2002, 04:16 PM)
Think there will be any way around it? sad.gif Too bad the Mame version of the ROM is so big, I know there is a 30 meg one that works with NeoRageX sad.gif

It's unlikely that you will see any fixes for this. As it is not only does the Xbox have to hold the entire ROM and workspace for the emulator and roms, but MameX also caches the rom list.

Notice that when you drop out of Mamex you immediately see the ROM list and MameX knows where it was?

Yeah it might be possible to recover another meg or two of RAM, but there is no getting around the 64 meg (realistically 54-58 meg) limit of the Xbox.

There have been a few (idiots) who have speculated on using one of those bogus RAM recovery programs, which in themselves are a joke.

The Xbox can cache things to the hard drive, but the roms for mamex must be ram resident to play since they must be loaded into the virtual "machine" in total.

Doing otherwise would require a complete Mamex rewrite and would possibly bring Mamex to it's knees on performance.

#15 Tom M.

Tom M.

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 08:04 AM

Well, why could not somebody rewrite the code? All you have to do is not to load all the roms at once, but load them level-by level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users