• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 crimz

crimz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

I am no shure if this is the right place to post this.
I use my Xbox basicly to view movies. Some specs:

xbox version 1.6b
300 GB HDD
XBMC 1.1.0

I had a lot of movies on the xbox untill yesterday, they somehow disappeared.
I was tranfering new movies to the xbox by ftp. When the list was refreshed i could
only see the movies i just transfered. The weird thing is the partition where i had my movies only has 16GB left. So i think the movies are still there but i cant seem to find them. Can someone help me please?

#2 joeblough2003

joeblough2003

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

Hey,

Been there, done that! I don’t know all of the technical information, but here is a layman’s explanation of what I think happened:

You have a 300 Gig hard drive, and you made one large F partition, right? Well, the Xbox file system only supports up to 250-256 Gig partitions…so if your F partition tries to absorb more than 250 gig worth of movies, the Xbox file system freaks out and corrupts the partition. (I think it just ‘loops’ back and starts writing on the beginning of the partition again). I had the exact same problem: files all disappeared, only 12 gig of free space of F partition.

I downloaded Xbox Partitioner, put it in E:/Apps, and ran it. I formatted the F partition but with a 32 kbit cluster size. This allows the xbox file system to handle a partition as large as 500 gig.

There are different schools of thought as to whether it is better to add a G drive or just use the 32 kbit cluster size, but I decided to stay with one drive (F:) and just format it with 32k clusters.

I got all of the information from this forum, so search around using 300 and 400 as keywords…lots of people have been having this problem since the big drives became available.

Hope this helps. Sorry for your loss, you’ll have to reformat F and start over, but at least all of your saves and dashboard stuff should be cool.

#3 crimz

crimz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(joeblough2003 @ Jun 16 2005, 09:19 PM)
Hey,

Been there, done that! I don’t know all of the technical information, but here is a layman’s explanation of what I think happened:

You have a 300 Gig hard drive, and you made one large F partition, right? Well, the Xbox file system only supports up to 250-256 Gig partitions…so if your F partition tries to absorb more than 250 gig worth of movies, the Xbox file system freaks out and corrupts the partition. (I think it just ‘loops’ back and starts writing on the beginning of the partition again). I had the exact same problem: files all disappeared, only 12 gig of free space of F partition.

I downloaded Xbox Partitioner, put it in E:/Apps, and ran it. I formatted the F partition but with a 32 kbit cluster size. This allows the xbox file system to handle a partition as large as 500 gig.

There are different schools of thought as to whether it is better to add a G drive or just use the 32 kbit cluster size, but I decided to stay with one drive (F:) and just format it with 32k clusters.

I got all of the information from this forum, so search around using 300 and 400 as keywords…lots of people have been having this problem since the big drives became available.

Hope this helps. Sorry for your loss, you’ll have to reformat F and start over, but at least all of your saves and dashboard stuff should be cool.

View Post

thank you, this explains a lot. i am gonna search around for other ways first because I dont want to lose al the movies. But now atleast I know what happend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users