• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alkaholic

alkaholic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

I got a v1.6b and was trying to install the spice and broke off the d0 wire (I think, its the one on the black part). I really don't care about that though because the white part didn't sit on the black part very flush and I couldn't even get the wires on the white part into the holes. I'm sure I could just solder the wire back on but, judging from the shadyness of the whole adapter I think I'll just try to solder the chip on.

O.K with the back story out of the way I have a few questions. On the 1.6b I have to do the LPC rebuild right? And which would you recommend the quick solder or the pin header install? Also since I'll be soldering how fine of a iron and solder should I use, and how perfect do my solder joints have to be (like can any of them touch an adjacent tace)?

Thanks in advance

#2 sk8teboi

sk8teboi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(alkaholic @ Jun 16 2005, 08:17 AM)
I got a v1.6b and was trying to install the spice and broke off the d0 wire (I think, its the one on the black part). I really don't care about that though because the white part didn't sit on the black part very flush and I couldn't even get the wires on the white part into the holes.  I'm sure I could just solder the wire back on but, judging from the shadyness of the whole adapter I think I'll just try to solder the chip on.
O.K with the back story out of the way I have a few questions. On the 1.6b I have to do the LPC rebuild right? And which would you recommend the quick solder or the pin header install? Also since I'll be soldering how fine of a iron and solder should I use, and how perfect do my solder joints have to be (like can any of them touch an adjacent tace)?
Thanks in advance

View Post

ok yes u do have to rebuild the lpc!i would recommend a pinheader,so if u feel like cahnging modchip its much easier!i would recomment a nextgen 15Watt iron and use 30/60 solder! also dont forget the flux and cleanin A LOT!! and no they cant touch other traces!!

#3 alkaholic

alkaholic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(sk8teboi @ Jun 16 2005, 09:51 AM)
ok yes u do have to rebuild the lpc!i would recommend a pinheader,so if u feel like cahnging modchip its much easier!i would recomment a nextgen 15Watt iron and use 30/60 solder! also dont forget the flux and cleanin A LOT!! and no they cant touch other traces!!

View Post

Thanks for the reply. What chip would you recommend for the 1.6 if I decide to change? Also where is the best place to buy soldering equiptment not online (Radio Shack maybe)?

#4 sk8teboi

sk8teboi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(alkaholic @ Jun 16 2005, 06:06 PM)
Thanks for the reply. What chip would you recommend for the 1.6 if I decide to change? Also where is the best place to buy soldering equiptment not online (Radio Shack maybe)?

View Post

yeah well i would recommend a smart xx v2 because i am a BIG fan on running linux on the xbox althogu u can run it on all modchips but wat the modchip alows u to do is awsome! for an xecuter3 u would need a little bigger of a pin header!! anyways i recommend smartxx v2 for god modchip and Duox2 f u dont want something too expensive!! well yeah radio shack is a good place
equipment: Soldering Iron 15 watts with grounddtip, solder,flux,alcohol!

#5 thebroken

thebroken

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:27 AM

you could just resolder the leg or wire to the spice since you already bought the spice i mean lets not waste money right tongue.gif

other wise yeah go with the pinheader for the xenium

#6 alkaholic

alkaholic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(thebroken @ Jun 16 2005, 10:38 PM)
you could just resolder the leg or wire to the spice since you already bought the spice i mean lets not waste money right tongue.gif

other wise yeah go with the pinheader for the xenium

View Post

You must not have read all my post, because I mentioned the fact that I could just do that in it. But the reason for me not wanting to do that is because the whole adapter seems very shoddy. The white part doesn't sit flush on the black part and popped off of it a couple times when I was trying to get the wires in their holes. If you have a solution to this please tell me because I in no way want to waste money.

#7 Silentscream__

Silentscream__

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

Dont use a 15W iron, you will do more damage with that than you would with a higher wattage. Because it is such a low temperature, the solder often cools as you are removing the iron, liftin pads and traces with it if youm are not careful. Because the solder doesnt melt quickly, alot of people will naturally push down on the board with the iron holding it in contact for too long which can kill the board.

I would reccomend a 20-25W iron, because it melts the solder quickly, and for the small points you can be in and out before the point has even begun to get too hot.

see this topic: http://forums.xbox-s...=soldering iron

Edited by Silentscream__, 17 June 2005 - 12:27 PM.

#8 sk8teboi

sk8teboi

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:01 PM

yeah he is rite i actually use a 15 watt and a 25Watt more often the 25watt because it much fast but the problem with them is tht the tip is not long enough

#9 alkaholic

alkaholic

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:42 AM

Well its official! I suck at soldering. Let the iron sit to long on a solder point and I burnt the board. Thought it might have ruined it so I put the box back to gether and sure enough its done for. all it does when I try to turn it on is the eject button will flash a whole bunch of different colors. Oh well i'm just going to go to gamespot and get a refurb or used v1-4 xbox that way all I need to use is the one wire solderless adapter.

thanks for your help though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users