• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alex.holmes

alex.holmes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:41 PM

Hey everyone, has anyone got any schematics on the xbox controller (original) cos what i want to do is add an extra black and white button to the controller so that they can be used similar to the triggers (behind the controller) for more ease in games when you need that extra thumb! So hopefully when you grip the controller, you can use your middle fingers or any others to operate them.

Anyways, the xbox controller has this large bit of material over the A,B,X, Y and black and white buttons and i was wondering what's under this.

Is there any other way i could join up some wires to any terminals to make a connection for extra buttons.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Edited by alex.holmes, 16 June 2005 - 12:41 PM.

#2 kwetzacoatle

kwetzacoatle

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

You know, believe it or not I just thought the same thing a few hours ago. Took the controller (type S) apart and found that the four color buttons are not simple contact switch mechanisms but these weird pressure sensors. See, originally i thought it was gonna be cake, just extend the gap between the contact points with two really long wires, shave a hole in the back of the grip and put a button there. But it aint gonna be that easy. I emailed this mod guy, HeadLlamma, did a mod where he made a permanently southpaw xbox controller, soldered the contact points BEHIND the motherboard. I would try that but I dont know which contact points are which for the color buttons, and they have this weird little jumper/resistor/doohickey thing on the trace which looks important so I dont wanna mess. In any case, I'll let u know if gets back to me. Glad to see I'm not the only one with divine flights of inspiration.

ps: you're right, if I could only get ahold of some blueprints or schematics or sommething it'd be cake, though the soldereing poionts are the tiniest i've evere seeen...

#3 alex.holmes

alex.holmes

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

Yeah, schematics would be good, but i've searched for ages on the web and it came up with nothing.

These buttons would be good for things like GTA San Andreas cos to look behind you in a car you have to hold both buttons and you need that extra thumb.

Anyways, i'm glad someone's taken an interest, and hopefully those schematics will pop up.

Cheers man.

Alex

#4 GRIlVlLOCK

GRIlVlLOCK

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

jeremydammit put up some nice pics showing via locations for a couple different controllers...

here's the layout for the original (duke) controller beerchug.gif

I added a new B button to my duke for Halo2 so I don't have to move my thumbs from the analog sticks to melee (default config) and it made a HUGE difference last night on live!! muhaha.gif

(yes, I've tried the green thumb config, but it sucks because my right analog click HAS to be zoom) tongue.gif

Edited by GRIlVlLOCK, 22 June 2005 - 03:29 PM.

#5 Blackfly1976

Blackfly1976

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:1.1 motherboard<br />110/240V input PSU<br />Philips VAD6011/21(POS) DVDROM<br />smartXX mod<br />Avalaunch 0.49.3<br />
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:57 AM

I recently had problems with my new communicator module, turned out it was the controller at fault - so I cracked it open to take a look
http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=53&t=411466
That topic needs moveing to this forum.

While I was inside my controllers I found that both my "eVolution" branded one and the "AtmicPlay" branded one actually had functional socket that were even labeled black and white at the shoulder positions.
Maybe other third party/aftermarket controllers are the same.
I can post pics if ppl don't understand what I'm getting at (or don't beleive me).
I may add a couple of switches there from some dead optical drives (eject button) I have in a cupboard.

#6 dewmonger

dewmonger

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

Pelican makes a third party controller that has black and white buttons as shoulder buttons in addition to their normal positions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users